PDA

View Full Version : Handed out a one page Student "Contract" last night in my class

Darrell KSR
05-30-2014, 11:46 AM
After having so many students over the years not read the syllabus I prepare, and having numerous questions and "issues" arise over time that were answered by the syllabus (had they bothered to read it), I came across the "solution."

A one page "Contract" for the students.

The "Contract" contained basic recitals and an understanding and agreement, where the students acknowledge certain things--

Like they are responsible for checking the Blackboard prior to every class, in case of a change in the schedule. Happens rarely, but almost always happens once or twice in a semester.

Like they are responsible for knowing when the exam dates are.

Like they are responsible for knowing what the missed exam policy is (very lenient--no excuse necessary, but a comprehensive final exam will be substituted for the missed exam). No make-ups.

Like my contact information is given to them, including my personal cell phone where they can call or text me anytime, and my email that goes to my phone, in addition to the university email, which is checked less frequently.

And most of all, that they understand they are to check the Syllabus to see what the policy is in a given situation prior to requesting some variance of that policy, which is unlikely to be granted. I'm flexible, but have developed lenient policies over the years that work for me and the students, and generally see no reason to modify that. (And the Syllabus contained all the other information--the Contract just reinforces that the Syllabus contains this information, and they understand that and agree to read it.)

Anyway, the "crux" of the "Contract"--and why I thought it might work -- is that I am giving 10 "Bonus" points (I give no bonuses throughout the semester, so this is it) -- if they read it, and return it to me, and have two additional class periods to turn it in to me, in person, in class. That assures me that a) they have had ample opportunity to read it; b) they have an opportunity to make a copy of it; c) they will not only be at the first class where I give that to them, but at least one of the next two class periods so they can get their 10 bonus points.

So....it took all of about 12 hours for the first student to email me--

"I have a vacation planned, so I'm going to miss class Monday. Can I email it?"

(Contract says it must be presented in person. She didn't read it.)

Answer: No.

"If I can't email it, can I bring it in on Wednesday instead of Monday?"

(Contract says they have two additional class periods to present it. She didn't read it.)

Answer: Yes. But I didn't answer it. I asked her to read the contract, which answered both questions.

Sigh.

dan_bgblue
05-31-2014, 08:36 AM
Great idea and one I would have appreciated back in the day.

I learned a lesson during my freshman year of high school that might correlate to what you are attempting. The first Friday of class the teacher gives the class a "pop quiz". The test consisted of 10 essay questions and the class was given 15 minutes to complete the test at the end of the class period. Panic set in among the students, including me, and we furiously began trying to scribble answers to the questions. I recall getting about half way thru when the bell rang and my paper was turned in. Everyone in the class came back the next day to find the test on their desk marked with a big red zero. At the top of page one, highlighted for all to see, were the words, "read the entire test before beginning". At the bottom of page three, right below question 10, was this instruction, "Please print your name and put the date at the top of page one, sign the bottom of page 3, leave rest of test blank, and turn in to me before the bell rings".

CitizenBBN
05-31-2014, 11:19 PM
People don't read, even pre-lawyers or even lawyers. It's shocking how many questions I get about auctions etc. that are explicitly covered in the terms. Really explicitly.

They seem to see those words on the page as white noise, like the adults in the Peanuts comics, and the want to skip right to asking questions and being spoon fed b/c reading is just so hard.

KSRBEvans
06-03-2014, 12:48 PM
There's a whole subculture of apathy and/or stupidity out there that we don't really want to contemplate.

UKFlounder
06-03-2014, 01:46 PM
I admit I fell for that one in high school too.

Great idea and one I would have appreciated back in the day.

I learned a lesson during my freshman year of high school that might correlate to what you are attempting. The first Friday of class the teacher gives the class a "pop quiz". The test consisted of 10 essay questions and the class was given 15 minutes to complete the test at the end of the class period. Panic set in among the students, including me, and we furiously began trying to scribble answers to the questions. I recall getting about half way thru when the bell rang and my paper was turned in. Everyone in the class came back the next day to find the test on their desk marked with a big red zero. At the top of page one, highlighted for all to see, were the words, "read the entire test before beginning". At the bottom of page three, right below question 10, was this instruction, "Please print your name and put the date at the top of page one, sign the bottom of page 3, leave rest of test blank, and turn in to me before the bell rings".

suncat05
06-03-2014, 03:56 PM
I have found that prospective jurors either read the jury summons, or they don't. Especially the bright red letters & numbers that tell them exactly when to call to find out if they are needed or not.
The other group that is very bad about reading their court summonses: law enforcement officers. You guys would not believe the crying, whining, knashing of teeth, and other unseemly stuff that comes from these guys when it is time to appear for a deposition or a trial. "But I'm gonna be out of town!", or "this is right in the middle of my sleep!"(which I can remember all too well and can kind of sympathize with a little), or the ever popular "do you know what this case is about?"...........No, it's your case, not mine! How would I know what this case is about? I'm not the arresting officer, you are! Please refer to the agency case number and read your report!

MickintheHam
06-12-2014, 09:31 AM
After having so many students over the years not read the syllabus I prepare, and having numerous questions and "issues" arise over time that were answered by the syllabus (had they bothered to read it), I came across the "solution."

A one page "Contract" for the students.

The "Contract" contained basic recitals and an understanding and agreement, where the students acknowledge certain things--

Like they are responsible for checking the Blackboard prior to every class, in case of a change in the schedule. Happens rarely, but almost always happens once or twice in a semester.

Like they are responsible for knowing when the exam dates are.

Like they are responsible for knowing what the missed exam policy is (very lenient--no excuse necessary, but a comprehensive final exam will be substituted for the missed exam). No make-ups.

Like my contact information is given to them, including my personal cell phone where they can call or text me anytime, and my email that goes to my phone, in addition to the university email, which is checked less frequently.

And most of all, that they understand they are to check the Syllabus to see what the policy is in a given situation prior to requesting some variance of that policy, which is unlikely to be granted. I'm flexible, but have developed lenient policies over the years that work for me and the students, and generally see no reason to modify that. (And the Syllabus contained all the other information--the Contract just reinforces that the Syllabus contains this information, and they understand that and agree to read it.)

Anyway, the "crux" of the "Contract"--and why I thought it might work -- is that I am giving 10 "Bonus" points (I give no bonuses throughout the semester, so this is it) -- if they read it, and return it to me, and have two additional class periods to turn it in to me, in person, in class. That assures me that a) they have had ample opportunity to read it; b) they have an opportunity to make a copy of it; c) they will not only be at the first class where I give that to them, but at least one of the next two class periods so they can get their 10 bonus points.

So....it took all of about 12 hours for the first student to email me--

"I have a vacation planned, so I'm going to miss class Monday. Can I email it?"

(Contract says it must be presented in person. She didn't read it.)

Answer: No.

"If I can't email it, can I bring it in on Wednesday instead of Monday?"

(Contract says they have two additional class periods to present it. She didn't read it.)

Answer: Yes. But I didn't answer it. I asked her to read the contract, which answered both questions.

Sigh.

How many lined through items in your contract and offer changes? A contract is a negotiated agreement. Each should have been aware that they were entitled to outline their expectations of you.

Darrell KSR
06-12-2014, 09:36 AM
How many lined through items in your contract and offer changes? A contract is a negotiated agreement. Each should have been aware that they were entitled to outline their expectations of you.

They were free to make a counteroffer. Any change is a counteroffer, which is a rejection of the offer, and their offer would not be accepted by me. None did, however.

KSRBEvans
06-12-2014, 10:12 AM
Darrell is a firm proponent of contracts of adhesion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_form_contract). :trink39:

Darrell KSR
06-12-2014, 02:03 PM
Darrell is a firm proponent of contracts of adhesion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_form_contract). :trink39:

Hey, one could argue there's no consideration flowing to me at all. It's bonus points! They're getting all the consideration. I'm not even getting a mere peppercorn.