PDA

View Full Version : More NCAA goofiness from last year

UKFlounder
05-13-2014, 10:58 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/buzzer/story/ncaa-makes-gabe-ikard-sign-affidavit-about-dating-girlfriend-051214

I wonder if UK has a standard affidavit for girls to sign stating they like tall guys...

jazyd
05-13-2014, 11:07 AM
They would rather have guys kissing their boyfriend because they got drafted almost dead last

MTcatfan
05-13-2014, 12:32 PM
In related news the NCAA just announced that next years football and basketball seasons are in doubt as they just declared 90% of the players in those sports ineligible due to their having girlfriends/boyfriends only due to their being a football or basketball player...

absurd...just absurd...

Doc
05-13-2014, 01:39 PM
" she just likes big guys, just accept it."

My wife has the same issue

TRUCKERCATFAN
05-13-2014, 02:56 PM
They would rather have guys kissing their boyfriend because they got drafted almost dead last

I don't wish the guy any ill will and hope he has a good career (except when they play my 49ers twice a year), but were any of you as repulsed by that unnatural act as I was?

MickintheHam
05-13-2014, 04:10 PM
I don't wish the guy any ill will and hope he has a good career (except when they play my 49ers twice a year), but were any of you as repulsed by that unnatural act as I was?

As I told Jazy, it's all about marketing. ESPN and the NFL know that historically, they have not done well with GLBT viewership and selling licensed apparel to this market segment. Now that this player is part of the movement, the gay community will turnout to watch in droves. They will buy Rams "gear" by the tens of thousands. It opens up a whole new area of marketing to both entities.

I am not too quick to congratulate ESPN and the NFL for what they have deemed noble. They have just found more people in more markets to exploit. It will be interesting to see if this new market segment has any impact on the existing NFL market. I'm sure your reaction isn't in the minority of football fans or football players. There seem to be many who are turned off by it. But my bet is the NFL loses not viewers because of this and only gets richer.

CitizenBBN
05-13-2014, 04:15 PM
My wife has the same issue

Yes she does. :)

kingcat
05-13-2014, 04:58 PM
It wasn't the NCAA. It was the Oklahoma Sooners compliance office.

MTcatfan
05-13-2014, 05:34 PM
As I told Jazy, it's all about marketing. ESPN and the NFL know that historically, they have not done well with GLBT viewership and selling licensed apparel to this market segment. Now that this player is part of the movement, the gay community will turnout to watch in droves. They will buy Rams "gear" by the tens of thousands. It opens up a whole new area of marketing to both entities.

I am not too quick to congratulate ESPN and the NFL for what they have deemed noble. They have just found more people in more markets to exploit. It will be interesting to see if this new market segment has any impact on the existing NFL market. I'm sure your reaction isn't in the minority of football fans or football players. There seem to be many who are turned off by it. But my bet is the NFL loses not viewers because of this and only gets richer.

I was not bothered one bit, but Mick here has nailed it on the head...

There are already reports that the SECOND best selling draftee jersey is Sam, and he is only behind Johnny Football...With the NFL it is all about the bottom line, they are a 4 billion dollar industry that wants to get to 5 billion, 6 billion, 7 billion, etc...

Darrell KSR
05-13-2014, 06:10 PM
It wasn't the NCAA. It was the Oklahoma Sooners compliance office.

That's what I just read, too. Maybe not a case of the crazy NCAA this time.

via mobile app

kingcat
05-13-2014, 06:20 PM
That's what I just read, too. Maybe not a case of the crazy NCAA this time.

via mobile app

It was a solid poke to the ribs of the NCAA by the Stoops and the Sooners I think.

jazyd
05-13-2014, 06:24 PM
repulsed is the way I looked at it, but I am a devout Christian that believes in the New and Old Testament, not one that says they are but thinks these things are just fine and natural. I told Mick the Rams will have a seating section that will be the Rainbow section. I have to wonder about all those players that claim they are ok with him in the l ocker, but after what they saw, will they truly be ok with him in the shower with them and both naked. Somehow I believe there will be many who will refuse to be in the shower at the same time, nor do I believe all will be his best friend.

Amazing, Tebow was told to cool it, shut up his Christian talk, Sam kisses his boyfriend and all espn is a flutter and so happy.

IF and a big IF, he makes the team, I will not watch any games in plays in, my small ittle token of protest.

MTcatfan
05-13-2014, 07:06 PM
Te bow was told to cool it because he was alienating some of his teammates..
If Sam shows up kissing on his boyfriend in the locker room he will be told to cool it also..The fake persecution complex some have is so boring...

So how far will your outrage go? If UK plays UMASS in the next couple of years are you going to refuse to watch the.game because of their gay player? Do you think less of MKG because he supports his friend?

All I know is I am a CHRISTian, I follow Christ's teachings above all else and that tells me that I am going to live my life as Christ told me to live it and I will let God sort out who is right or wrong on Earth once I get judged after I die. I don't begrudge your choice of how to worship, but it is not your place to judge or impose those beliefs on myself or others choose to worship in the way I worship.

kingcat
05-13-2014, 07:31 PM
Opinions are all we can offer here, and about everyone has one. Most will be extreme.
I honestly don't see anyone imposing their belief, but in this kind of discussion an opinion will unavoidably include personal judgement of some kind.

I must say at this point I think Jazy's view would represent the mainline Christian belief regarding this. Christians certainly should not be so bold as to judge anothers salvation however.

But to judge such matters within the body of believers (or church) is a responsibility. The ultimate action being to turn one willingly living in contradiction to Christs teaching out of the church group itself, "for the destruction of the flesh that in the end, the spirit might be saved"

It is my belief that the Biblical texts (and others) are explicit in condemning the act, but affording the person forgiveness if contrite regarding their actions...yes, even if unavoidable due to a person's human nature and/or a mistake of nature.

Still, we are saved only by God's Grace.

Other than my last sentence which is True, the rest is just my opinion however.

MTcatfan
05-13-2014, 08:51 PM
The Bible condemns quite a few acts but it seems that many pick and choose which ones to follow or condemn others for...I admit I pick and choose what to believe, but I choose to pick Jesus' teachings to believe and let the chips fall where they may.

TRUCKERCATFAN
05-13-2014, 10:43 PM
I didn't like what I saw on ESPN. Very unnatural act. However, my biggest issue with Michael Sam is that he has stated the he wants to be known as a football player and not as "the gay football player" and then totally flaunts it on ESPN in front of the world.

MTcatfan
05-13-2014, 11:56 PM
So a heterosexual can kiss their significant other when drafted and it is fine, but the gay guy kisses his significant other and he is flaunting it...

To me Sam gets his moment in the sun no questions asked...from this point on his actions will tell if he is a football player or that gay football player. Now that doesn't mean ESPN isn't going to make a big deal out of it, but now Sam should act like any other seventh rounder and work his ass off to make the team.