PDA

View Full Version : PSA for today: Unroll.me Gmail plug in.

Darrell KSR
05-12-2014, 02:18 PM
Just running it now, but if you are like me, you have intentionally and unintentionally subscribed to a number of email subscriptions over time. This is supposed to scan your email, and give you a list of all of them you can look at together, and allow clicking to easily unsubscribe to bunches of them.

I will post later when I use it.

via mobile app

Darrell KSR
05-12-2014, 02:43 PM
I was subscribed to 274 subscriptions.

I only unsubscribed from no-brainer ones, and quickly removed 104 from my regular email. Love it. It even placed all the unsubscribed emails into a page separated by letter of the alphabet so you could undo it easily if you changed your mind.

Two thumbs up.

via mobile app

Darrell KSR
05-12-2014, 02:58 PM
Another thing it does is permit a "roll up," or digest of ones you select. I just took another 100 or so and combined them in the roll up which will come once daily. Should help remove a lot of my inbox clutter.

Also, this works with many email clients, not just Gmail.

EDIT: Here is the summary after today:

BEFORE UNROLL.ME:
Inbox: 274 email subscriptions individually delivered

AFTER UNROLL.ME:
Inbox: 43 email subscriptions individually delivered
Inbox: 114 email subscriptions in a "daily digest," or "Roll-up"
Unsubscribed: 117 email subscriptions not wanted.

KSRBEvans
05-15-2014, 01:20 PM
Darrell, is this a Google Chrome extension or something you do with GMail itself?

I was looking at my Gmail this morning and 80% of it must be stuff I've subscribed to and don't want anymore.

Darrell KSR
05-15-2014, 01:45 PM
BEvans, I saw it in a story I read about 15 google extensions, but as I used it, I don't think it is a google extension at all, but a separate service.

My small business email account is Yahoo-based, although it has my own domain, and it works perfectly with it as well. So does the underlying yahoo email account.

Now, let me tell you what I have learned. It's not actually unsubscribing you, although it is telling you it is. Instead, it is dumping it in your trash. I'm ok with that, but it's not 100% truth in advertising.

It has picked up 3 or 4 "new" ones the last couple of days that it missed the first time around, so I'm getting close to 300. I will tell you this--it has been a joy to open my email in the morning, and see maybe 8-10 more important emails, and have an email digest later that has 20 subscriptions bundled in it, most of which I don't care about, but didn't want to unsubscribe from completely). Trying to encourage my wife to use it--I saw her this morning dutifully clicking--without reading--probably 15 email subscriptions. She said she doesn't have that many, and hasn't gone to this (free) service yet.

KSRBEvans
05-15-2014, 01:52 PM
That sounds sweet. I don't care if it's going in my trash or actually unsubscribing me, it would just be nice to have a less-cluttered inbox.

Darrell KSR
05-15-2014, 10:31 PM
That sounds sweet. I don't care if it's going in my trash or actually unsubscribing me, it would just be nice to have a less-cluttered inbox.

I suspect you will be as happy as I am. Plus I don't think you have to tweet it, either. I didn't when I set it up for my other account.

via mobile app

Darrell KSR
05-22-2014, 08:06 AM
My Daily Rollup today:

17 emails condensed in the one email, plus they found 14 new subscriptions [would've been 31! today]. Of the 14, I unsubscribed 10 of them with one click, and added 4 to my "rollup."

Current Status:

I have 131 subscription emails in my "Rollup." That means that 131 separate email subscriptions might bombard my email inbox, not every day, but often enough. Today I had 17 in my Rollup, plus 14 new ones, so I would have had 31 separate emails today. Instead, I had ONE.

I have 132 I have completely unsubscribed from.

I have 47 I have left alone, and they will come to my inbox separately and not be affected.

My email is much more palatable and soothing to my eyes.