PDA

View Full Version : The Fun Of Big Brother

PedroDaGr8
05-12-2014, 12:17 AM
Being a bit of an electronics geek, I follow a website called EEVBlog pretty heavily. I was recently reading a post. He had purchased some electronic components from a company called Newark/Element14. The parts were quite innocuous, supposedly resistors and a few other basic items. Nothing that would ever lead you to believe there was malevolent intent. For those that are not technies, it would be like someone purchasing windshield wipers and light bulbs and getting flagged.His order gets delayed and delayed, finds out its flagged by the US Government because his name is on a list. His name Dave Jones. I kid you not. It's not him who is on the list but ANYONE named Dave Jones get flagged.

http://www.eevblog.com/2014/02/24/element-14-holding-orders-based-on-us-government-watch-list/

On the forums, a kid (I think he is 15) has been purchasing some basic parts because he wants to be an electrical engineer. His dad purchases the parts for him. This kid received a call from the FBI the other day. Said that it appeared he had been purchasing electronic components using someone elses card and did he have an explanation for this behavior. A FIFTEEN year old kid got a call from the FBI for pursuing a hobby! This is retarded. His response: I told him I'm a teen and my dad purchased them for me. I invited him over for some coffee and snacks if he wanted to chat.

This is truly scary to me. We are only a few steps away from a true 1984 and NO-ONE cares!

CitizenBBN
05-12-2014, 01:25 AM
We're maybe 1-2 steps from 1984 and no one seems to care. We need a massive overhaul of this nation's laws to bring them into conformance with the constitution.

There is NO basis for tracking the calls, purchases, etc. of any US citizen without probable cause. None. we can restrict certain items OK but this is a futile attempt to catch a few terrorists that sacrifices the liberty of the entire nation and NO ONE has ever been caught by these methods.

Tracking basic electronic parts? Are all electrical engineers now suspects? Has ONE terrorist used a bunch of mail order resistors and capacitors to build a death ray? What do they have to do with terrorism? I doubt building IEDs requires a Radio Shack given there probably aren't any in Afghanistan. So why even track this stuff?

It's sickening, and BOTH political parties are in on it. On the Left are totalitarian witches like Feinstein, but on the Right we have Peter King who thinks the Patriot Act didn't go nearly far enough.

I do think SOME people care, more all the time are starting to realize the federal secret agency spying on everyone is no longer just Hollywood fantasy, which is why you see relative unknown non-mainstream guys like Rand Paul getting a lot of interest in a Presidential race.

It's time for Libertarians to take back this country, and there are Libertarians in principle in both parties. Lots of pro privacy people on the Left need to get with the free market Libertarians on the Right and start tearing down these agencies. The militarization of the Federal government, the gathering of massive databases on The People without any cause that is the equivalent of looking in everyone's windows without a warrant all needs to end.

And that is the trick. This is nothing but virtual invasion of your home by jack booted thugs in the middle of the night with no warrant and no probable cause of any crime, just checking to make sure you aren't a "threat". That's all it is. The fact that they can do it without you even knowing doesn't make it any less invasive or any less wrong. Hopefully the law will catch up and start ruling this crap unconstitutional.

The Founders would be ill at what we've done to this nation since the depression and certainly since the end of WWII.

jazyd
05-12-2014, 09:23 AM
Glad you lumped King in with zfeinstein

CitizenBBN
05-12-2014, 06:04 PM
Glad you lumped King in with zfeinstein

King is kinda nuts. He seems to think he has some shot at the GOP nomination and that the rest of the GOP outside of New York is pro spying on Americans, anti-gun and all for big government. I think either he or I are really out of touch.

KeithKSR
05-12-2014, 07:00 PM
The idea that the government tracks us all so closely is extremely disconcerting.

Doc
05-12-2014, 09:31 PM
The idea that the government tracks us all so closely is extremely disconcerting.

And yet requiring any type of identification to vote is somehow repressive. Sort of nuts, huh?

CitizenBBN
05-12-2014, 10:19 PM
And yet requiring any type of identification to vote is somehow repressive. Sort of nuts, huh?

Good point. I'd say arguing against it is nuts. Even lowly Kentucky requires an ID to vote and has my whole life. How the heck else would you do such a thing?

jazyd
05-13-2014, 09:08 AM
Keeps the racist pot stirred

QUOTE=Doc;189430]And yet requiring any type of identification to vote is somehow repressive. Sort of nuts, huh?[/QUOTE]

jazyd
05-13-2014, 09:08 AM
King is basically a liberal in many ways

QUOTE=CitizenBBN;189402]King is kinda nuts. He seems to think he has some shot at the GOP nomination and that the rest of the GOP outside of New York is pro spying on Americans, anti-gun and all for big government. I think either he or I are really out of touch.[/QUOTE]

KeithKSR
05-13-2014, 11:33 PM

Absolutely. I have yet to determine how proof identity to vote is any way an act to suppress votes. I do see how not requiring such proof suppresses the votes of valid voters when illegitimate voters are given freedom to cast votes.

CitizenBBN
05-14-2014, 01:44 PM
Absolutely. I have yet to determine how proof identity to vote is any way an act to suppress votes. I do see how not requiring such proof suppresses the votes of valid voters when illegitimate voters are given freedom to cast votes.

Exactly. The voter suppression is when you ALLOW anyone without ID to vote, allowing fraud to dilute the will of the legitimate voters in that election.

I also laugh at the idea getting an ID is such a hurdle. That's the funniest thing in years. Well that and the FBI tracking purchases of resistors to try to catch terrorists.