PDA

View Full Version : What to expect from Mississippi State

Darrell KSR
10-05-2012, 11:45 PM
Miss. State Head Coach Dan Mullen

• Mississippi State enters Commonwealth Stadium on Saturday with a 4-0 record, including a
Southeastern Conference win over Auburn. The Bulldogs are the third-straight undefeated and ranked
for the Wildcats.

• Mississippi State has had a very balanced effort both offensively and defensively this season, ranking
top 50 nationally in most categories on both sides. Defensively, MSU has held opponents to 10 points
or less in three of four games. The Bulldogs rank 13th nationally in scoring defense, 15th in pass efficiency
defense, 40th in total defense and 48th in pass defense. One of the strongest parts of the defense
has been the ability to create turnovers as the Bulldogs lead the nation in turnover margin, averaging
3.25 turnovers a game. MSU has nine interceptions and six recovered fumbles in four games.

• Individually on defense, Cameron Lawrence leads the Bulldogs with 28 tackles, 1.5 tackles-for-loss
and one sack. Darius Slay has been a terror for offenses in the secondary with four interceptions and
one pass breakup, while Denico Autry has three tackles-for-loss.

• Offensively, the MSU offensive line has been solid this season, allowing only half a sack a game to
rank fifth nationally. The Bulldogs rank 35th nationally in scoring offense, 46th in rushing offense and
78th in passing offense. Quarterback Tyler Russell leads the team offensively completing more than 55
percent of his passes for 822 yards and eight touchdowns. LaDarius Perkins leads the team in rushing
with 389 yards and five touchdowns on 57 carries, while wide receiver Chad Bumphis has 12 catches
for 271 yards and five touchdowns.

Catfan73
10-06-2012, 10:04 PM
Maybe we should have been a little bit concerned with what to expect from UK. Like running 3 straight times the very next possession after Towles went 5 for 5 with a touchdown. Oftentimes it seems like we're our own worst enemy.

Catfan73
10-07-2012, 12:16 PM
I just read Larry's column on the front page (btw, thanks!) where Randy Sanders said he was scratching his head over some stuff on the scoring drive. Has anyone figured out whether he meant that Towles performed better than he thought he would or if he was doing something they hadn't approved?

I did notice that they had him take a snap from under center just as I knew they would. It was Joker's way of saying, 'See, I told you he would have to be able to do that'.

Catonahottinroof
10-07-2012, 12:18 PM
Usually an improvised play if the coaches are scratching their heads.