PDA

View Full Version : iPhone alternatives - any ideas?

Darrell KSR
05-07-2014, 11:46 AM
My 15-year old daughter wants an iPhone. She's not going to get an iPhone 5. But I might be interested in an iPhone 4 that would work with T-Mobile.

Anybody have a recommendation on where I might find one of those--or an alternative--fairly inexpensively?

And for those suggesting some android OS or Windows-based OS instead--did I mention this is my 15-year old daughter, where appearances are more important than reality? As in, a slower iPhone would be better than a souped-up, better performing android. Plus she's never had a smartphone before, so anything will be a huge improvement.

jazyd
05-07-2014, 09:54 PM
Darrell, I bought my wife a IPhone 4 for .99 cents from ATT

bigsky
05-07-2014, 11:26 PM
Darrell, I bought my wife a IPhone 4 for .99 cents from ATT bought my wife one from Verizon for 99cents. Turned off my decades old land line and put my land line # on the iPhone.

KSRBEvans
05-08-2014, 09:33 AM
Not sure what TMobile's running, but last time I checked you could get an iPhone 4 for free through AT&T.

If I wasn't invested in the Apple ecosystem, I'd be getting an Android phone. They're just as good as the iPhone, if not better. The new HTC 1 (http://techcrunch.com/2014/03/31/htc-one-m8-review-the-new-best-android-smartphone/) is supposed to be an awesome phone. Offer the daughter the opportunity to pick once she starts kicking in on the monthly bill. ;)

Darrell KSR
05-08-2014, 12:39 PM
Those are good deals, folks--and reasons why I ought to consider another cell provider, I'm sure.

I think T-Mobile has some good "jump" deals, but they're all in the neighborhood of "pay x down, pay x per month for two years" kinda thing. Fine for me, but I'd rather plunk down $200 now than pay $650 over 2 years.

BEvans, I'm sold on android being superior to iPhone myself (at least, the very highest of brand/models, and not necessarily the OS, but the whole package). But this is my daughter who just turned 15, and if it ain't iPhone, it ain't anything.

KSRBEvans
05-08-2014, 12:58 PM
I don't have teenagers anymore, but it surprises me that iPhone is seen as "cool" by that group. I'd think it would be seen as "Mom and Dad's phone" and they'd want something different. Interesting.

Doc
05-08-2014, 03:43 PM
I don't have teenagers anymore, but it surprises me that iPhone is seen as "cool" by that group. I'd think it would be seen as "Mom and Dad's phone" and they'd want something different. Interesting.

If you want teenagers, I have one for sale. Or I'd consider "free to a good home", or even "free to a not so good home"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KSRBEvans
05-09-2014, 09:15 AM
^Thanks, but I've done my time in the hole. Empty-nest is a good thing.