PDA

View Full Version : What are your vacation plans this summer? Quick trip recommendations for others?

Darrell KSR
05-06-2014, 09:10 AM
As of May 6, 2014, we have none. Daughter *may* be in a three week camp that hinders our ability to plan, and son *may* play AAU basketball that also is a hindrance. Daughter has volleyball practice all summer beginning June 1, but they have two 10-day stretches with no practice that we're looking at possibly (schedule was just released last week) that doesn't conflict much with the three week camp.

Odds are a less-than-week long beach trip. Maybe a Six Flags season ticket to let us take a few trips to Atlanta over the weekend kind of thing. We're members of the Tennessee Aquarium, so quick trips to Chattanooga, I'd guess at least two, will happen this summer.

Already read about Blueboss' two-week trip to Perdido, and I am immediately jealous, so I figured I'd get more jealous. What are your plans this summer?

Any recommendations to others for "quick trips" that are enjoyable in the general area from the northern Gulf coast up to, say, Gatlinburg to the north, North Carolina to the east, and maybe Vicksburg to the west of me?

I'll hang up and listen.

Doc
05-06-2014, 09:33 AM
Cancun Mexico. June 21-28th, taking son and my first wife. Also bring son's best friend. Leaving daughter and her boyfriend home. Also planning something for late summer but not sure what. Sending son to Hawaii for 12 days to visit grandma and grandpa so me and wife will have a few days to do something, poss a cruise or maybe zip over to Costa Rica for a week.

I'm also booking our Xmas trip today. Looks like its Paris (France, not Kentucky). Son and Wife again. We owe our son a trip there. Took our daughter way back but not our son as he was just 5 so he spent that with grandma with the promise we would take him later. This is that trip. Looks like we will be there Dec 22-29. Never been in Paris for Christmas. Been in London and Rome for that holiday but never Paris that time of year.

KSRBEvans
05-06-2014, 09:41 AM
^Mrs. BEvans and I went to Cancun for our 25th last year and loved it. We stayed at Live Aqua (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g150807-d506374-Reviews-Live_Aqua_Cancun_All_Inclusive-Cancun_Yucatan_Peninsula.html), which was very laid-back and relaxing. Hope you have a great trip!

Our son is doing the Disney College Program through July, so this year our vacations are all about going to see him. We're going down for Memorial Day week, then we're going back again in July to bring him home. He got us a Cast Member discount at the Contemporary for part of our May visit, and we'll be there during the 24-hour event at the Magic Kingdom on the 22nd and 23rd (6 am-6 am). We're planning on spending all night at MK and closing it down.

dan_bgblue
05-06-2014, 06:24 PM
Another vacation for the Grandkids. 2 days at legoland in Winter Haven FL, then 3 days on the beach at Daytona Beach Shores. Thy have played n the bathtub on the west coast a few times so itis time for them to see the real ocean. Hoping there are some 6 foot rolling waves near shore when we are there. Most of you who have played hear for any length of time know of my disdain for all things Florida, so you now also know how much I love my Grandkids.

Catonahottinroof
05-06-2014, 06:45 PM
Headed to Charleton SC in the 2nd week of June.

BigBluePappy
05-06-2014, 08:23 PM
Either a week on a lake in East Tennessee with the in-laws or LA again, but this time just me and Grammy, I am hoping for the latter.

dan_bgblue
05-06-2014, 08:43 PM
Darrell, if you want recommendations for a short trip packed full of stuff to do, I am not your travel agent, but if you want suggestions for a few days of R&R in beautiful places, let me know

blueboss
05-06-2014, 08:49 PM
Headed to Charleton SC in the 2nd week of June.

Poogan's Porch, a bowl of she crab soup, fried gator salad, or the wedge, and either shrimp and grits, or crispy skinned grouper...you're welcome

..if those don't strike your fancy Mrs. boss enjoyed the pan seared scallops, they had some braised short ribs that I'd like to try on my next visit.

Oh don't forget the benne wafers, you can send me a bag if you think of it...

Lfbj00
05-07-2014, 12:58 AM
Heading to Panama City Beach July 5-12. Man I love that place!! The wife and kids aren't as stoked as I am, but after 2 years of Disney World, and last year at Branson....TOUGH!!! This year Daddy is getting his way for a change. There's about 3 or 4 restaurants that I can taste right now!!! Hopefully the white, sandy beaches, will be just that, and not filled with seaweed like they were 3 years ago. If that happens, I may never get the family there again!!

TonyRay
05-07-2014, 05:50 PM
Doc, what does your second wife think of your plans?

Doc
05-08-2014, 03:53 PM
Doc, what does your second wife think of your plans?

She doesn't know

We booked Xmas last night. $970 per ticket, Miami to Paris, thru Lisbon Portugal on TAP Portugal airline. I'm happy with that price for that time of year. Flying Monday the 22nd at 5 pm arriving noon on the 23rd then leaving the 29th at 7am and home at 4 pm. Looking to rent an apartment in downtown Paris near the louvre.

Tomorrow I'm going to try to book Costa Rica for a summer getaway with da wife for early aug. Send the boy to Hawaii on freq flyer miles and then us go there. 2 hr flight, I can handle that!

Takes us longer to drive to Panama City beach and cost more than it does to go to Central America. One of the advantages of life in south fl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catonahottinroof
05-08-2014, 07:02 PM
To me, the best shrimp and grits there is at RB's on Shem's Creek in Mt Pleasant.

Poogan's Porch, a bowl of she crab soup, fried gator salad, or the wedge, and either shrimp and grits, or crispy skinned grouper...you're welcome

..if those don't strike your fancy Mrs. boss enjoyed the pan seared scallops, they had some braised short ribs that I'd like to try on my next visit.

Oh don't forget the benne wafers, you can send me a bag if you think of it...

blueboss
05-08-2014, 08:53 PM
To me, the best shrimp and grits there is at RB's on Shem's Creek in Mt Pleasant.

I went with the oyster stew, and the steampot...

CitizenBBN
05-08-2014, 10:46 PM
Already read about Blueboss' two-week trip to Perdido, and I am immediately jealous, so I figured I'd get more jealous. What are your plans this summer?

Here's a place where I can be really useful. I won't leave a 5 mile radius this summer other than for work, pretty sure. I need to fix that, but it'll be this fall/winter.

Hopefully my allergies will continue (i dont' normally get them so it must be really bad really early) and it'll be really hot and humid here b/c nothing really makes for a good summer like no beach and lots of sweating. :)

Lfbj00
05-09-2014, 04:27 AM
Takes us longer to drive to Panama City beach and cost more than it does to go to Central America. One of the advantages of life in south fl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't show my wife this answer....she's not real thrilled about going to PCB this year anyhow, and she's wanting to make a trip like that. We've talked about the Dominican Republic. I've got a co-worker who's from Peru, and says we'd LOVE that trip. I'm not sure...you can take the boy out of Kentucky, but you can't take the Kentucky out of the boy.

Doc
05-09-2014, 08:04 AM
I can't show my wife this answer....she's not real thrilled about going to PCB this year anyhow, and she's wanting to make a trip like that. We've talked about the Dominican Republic. I've got a co-worker who's from Peru, and says we'd LOVE that trip. I'm not sure...you can take the boy out of Kentucky, but you can't take the Kentucky out of the boy.

I was goofing around on kayak last night. Can fly to Jamaica for 375 nonstop, the virgin islands for 350, 329 to donimican republic, and 432 to Costa Rica. All viable option for a 5-7 day get away

CitizenBBN
05-09-2014, 01:43 PM
I was goofing around on kayak last night. Can fly to Jamaica for 375 nonstop, the virgin islands for 350, 329 to donimican republic, and 432 to Costa Rica. All viable option for a 5-7 day get away

And from some of those countries there's even a good chance you'll get to use the return ticket. ;)

Darrell KSR
05-10-2014, 05:36 PM
Darrell, if you want recommendations for a short trip packed full of stuff to do, I am not your travel agent, but if you want suggestions for a few days of R&R in beautiful places, let me know

I may take you up on that when the next couple of weeks passes and I can think straight. But "few days" for my purposes will probably be more like, "leave on Friday, return on Sunday." Have been to a few places that might consider returning, but looking for other cool options.

Here's a place where I can be really useful. I won't leave a 5 mile radius this summer other than for work, pretty sure. I need to fix that, but it'll be this fall/winter.

Hopefully my allergies will continue (i dont' normally get them so it must be really bad really early) and it'll be really hot and humid here b/c nothing really makes for a good summer like no beach and lots of sweating. :)

At least there's ONE person I don't feel jealous of. Although your climate has to be better than mine in the summer, so even there...

blueboss
05-11-2014, 08:05 PM
First full day tore it up in the surf, caught the biggest pompano I've ever seen (length of my forearm) , and then two more medium sized ones. Started hooking sailcats (5) so I packed it in...we'll see what tomorrow brings.

jazyd
05-11-2014, 09:28 PM
Boss, I grilled some pompano recently and it didn't have the flavor I was hoping for, got a hood recipe?