PDA

View Full Version : Need Restaurant Info for Perdido Key????

blueboss
05-05-2014, 07:35 PM
It's my first time in that little corner of the world, any dining tips for the area for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, also any other tips I might need to know. I've been told the Blue Angel museum is a must any other recommendations on activities I'd appreciate it, I've two weeks to poke around the area. Day trips to Mobile wouldn't be out of the question either, there is bound to be something/somewhere in Mobile I should see or eat at...

dan_bgblue
05-05-2014, 08:25 PM
Fort Morgan is worth a stop if the Civil War interests you at all. The ferry ride and the ride across the Dauphin island parkway bridge is pretty cool. I visited the USS Alabama battleship and the USS Drum submarine at Battleship memorial park in Mobile. I did not have time to take in the B-52 and SR-72 blackbird that are there. Pretty cool stuff.

Wish I could help on eateries, but can not.

BigBluePappy
05-06-2014, 04:50 AM
Lambert's in Foley, AL if you are coming from the north.
What Dan said about the USS Alabama and the USS Drum, in Mobile.
There is a little hole in the wall place just west of the main road (59 I believe) that runs into Gulf Shores, about a couple of blocks and one block north of the main drag, a little blue building a gem of a find.
Wolf Bay Lodge in Orange beach or any place near Zeke's Landing.
I forget the name of the place but I had the best grouper I have ever had there for lunch.
The Original Oyster House is alright if you are prepared for a wait. They have a location in Gulf Shores and Mobile, never ate at the Mobile location but the Gulf Shores was alright.
Have a good visit blueboss.

KSRBEvans
05-06-2014, 07:14 AM
Last time we were there was Thanksgiving 2012. Beautiful area, can't wait to return.

In Perdido Key, I'd recommend Fisherman's Corner (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g34550-d1103766-Reviews-Fishermans_Corner-Pensacola_Florida.html). It's a little shack-type place that's hidden away near the bridge that goes from Perdido Key to Pensacola, but the food's really good and service is great, too.

We've eaten twice at the Crab Trap (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g34550-d538971-Reviews-Crab_Trap_At_Perdido_Key-Pensacola_Florida.html), which is on the road from Perdido Key to Orange Beach. First time was very good, second time service was very slow and food was lukewarm. They have outdoor picnic tables close to the beach.

Also ate at Trigger's (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g34550-d388615-Reviews-Trigger_s_Seafood_Restaurant-Pensacola_Florida.html), which was fine. It's in a little strip shopping area on the way to Pensacola.

If you're going into Gulf Shores, I really liked our meal at The Original Oyster House (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g30582-d329054-Reviews-Original_Oyster_House-Gulf_Shores_Alabama.html). Seafood was fresh and sides were out of this world. To beat the crowds and get better prices, I'd recommend a late lunch. We went there about 2:00 pm after shopping at the outlet mall in Foley. No wait and service was very good.

But most of the time we make our own seafood at the condo where we're staying. We go into Pensacola and get it at Joe Patti Seafood (http://www.joepattis.com/). They have just about anything you could want in seafood and prepared salads. We stock up on oysters and shrimp and cook our own.

If you've not seen it before, I'd recommend taking a trip to the National Naval Aviation Museum (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g34550-d258659-Reviews-National_Naval_Aviation_Museum-Pensacola_Florida.html) at NAS Pensacola. Free admission and spectacular exhibits. Nice way to spend a half-day.

Darrell KSR
05-06-2014, 09:02 AM
If you've not seen it before, I'd recommend taking a trip to the National Naval Aviation Museum (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g34550-d258659-Reviews-National_Naval_Aviation_Museum-Pensacola_Florida.html) at NAS Pensacola. Free admission and spectacular exhibits. Nice way to spend a half-day.

Ditto x100. And he's not exaggerating with the "half-day" estimate. You don't really want to rush through it; there's so many interesting things to see and read about.

I don't know what I was expecting, but it far surpassed what I expected. Really neat place, and for the price? Wow.

There's a lighthouse you can climb right there for a small charge that gives a pretty view over the bay, too. IIRC, you can reserve a time well in advance on the Blue Angels practice days, and watch them from up top.

Their practice schedule is located here:
http://www.blueangels.navy.mil/media/show/2014PracticeSchedule.pdf

On Wednesdays, the aviators finish their practice and they visit the museum to answer questions, sign autographs, etc. if that is appealing. Don't know when you're going, but they have their annual Pensacola Beach air show July 12. Never been to the show on the beach, but I bet it's a blast to watch. We've always been ecstatic watching practice, though.

USS Alabama is a lot of fun. Have spent the night on it a couple of times on scout trips.

If you're a golfer, there are a lot of fun courses in the area you can play with nice scenery and well-groomed fairways and greens. Have hacked around on a few of them.

Mostly, though, we're pretty stationary when we go to the area. I guess the reason is we never have the luxury of time you're going to have, and if we're there for 5 days or even a week, we like to enjoy the beach and the ocean. Do stuff like shelling. Occasionally, but not often, do the charter boat fishing things. They have dolphin watches and such out there, too.

BigBluePappy
05-06-2014, 08:13 PM
Sure seems like LA is the preferred, or at least a familiar, vacation spot with the BBN.:winking0011:

blueboss
05-06-2014, 08:53 PM
I always have to try the local BBQ, Bufords, or Reds & Ribs?? Or is there a hole in the wall I need to find?

BigBluePappy
05-06-2014, 09:24 PM
If the Ribs & Reds is the place I am thinking of they were awesome three years ago and damn near inedible last year.
The Royal Reds arrived at our table grey in color, so I sent them back.
The next batch arrived the same way and I tried one just to be sure.
I was right; disgusting.
My son-in-law and I ate our fill of them three years ago (helluva bill that night) but last year they just flat out stank.
Let me know if they are improved this year...

blueboss
05-11-2014, 07:59 PM
So far:

Fisherman's Corner (5 BB stars) we'll be going back

Shrimp Basket (3 BB stars) been there done that no need to go back

MickintheHam
05-12-2014, 05:32 PM
Well I am better on where to get a drink than where to eat. Lulu Buffet's is an institution. Yes, she is Jimmy's sister. They have food, but it is more for the atmosphere. yes Lulu works there. No trip to Gulf Shores is complete without a trip to the Pink Pony Pub. Both are on the beach in the heart of Gulf Shores. LuLu's also has live music.

blueboss
05-16-2014, 05:16 PM
Cottons (41/2 BB stars) had my first royal reds really, really good, they were peel-n-eat, I thought they should have been easier to peel may have been slightly over steamed but since I've never had them before I don't have anything to compare them to.

Happy Harbor (2 1/2 BB stars) music was good, the rest was mehhh!

blueboss
05-18-2014, 08:02 PM
Gulf Shores Steamer, Orange Beach (4 BB stars) 1lb of royal reds outstanding and peeled easier than Cottons

Cobalt (5+++ BB stars) hands down the best restaurant we've eaten at since being here, beautiful view on the inlet, nice little band playing outside for dinner, service beyond good

CitizenBBN
05-18-2014, 08:32 PM
OK, now I'm officially jealous. I do love reds, steamed is my preference, with butter and beers.

blueboss
05-19-2014, 12:21 PM
OK, now I'm officially jealous. I do love reds, steamed is my preference, with butter and beers.

This is the first time I've ever ran across them, they may be my new favorite, Have then been around for a while, and is it just a panhandle delicacy? I don't recall ever seeing them down by Apalachicola, or around the Destin, Panama City area.

KSRBEvans
05-19-2014, 03:05 PM
Here's an article on them. They're deep-water shrimp that can be found in the gulf area. I've also seen them harvested in places as far away as Antarctica and flash-frozen.

http://www.al.com/living/index.ssf/2013/11/davids_daily_dish_royal_red_sh.html

blueboss
05-19-2014, 04:36 PM
Well that certainly explains the reason why the ones I had at Cottons were harder to peel...they are delicious and while the taste is sweet it's as much about the texture too.

CitizenBBN
05-19-2014, 09:28 PM
I get them at a place in Key West, they bring the boat right up to it. More like lobster than shrimp IMO, perfect with drawn butter.

blueboss
05-20-2014, 05:38 PM
Guess who just ordered a half LB of reds and a half a slab of spare ribs?

Give up??

blueboss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigBluePappy
05-20-2014, 06:59 PM
What I wanted to hear.

blueboss
05-20-2014, 09:08 PM
Now try and guess who ruined his shirt, the BBQ sauce might come out, but the butter, forget it, it's a goner.

Darrell KSR
05-20-2014, 10:01 PM
Guess who just ordered a half LB of reds and a half a slab of spare ribs?

Give up??

blueboss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are the man.

via mobile app

KSRBEvans
05-21-2014, 07:25 AM
The Steamer was awesome last time I was there, but that was many years ago so I was reluctant to recommend it. Glad it's still holding its own.