PDA

View Full Version : OT: FLOTUS brother canned

blueboss
05-05-2014, 11:33 AM
...if it were only that easy, her brother had a much better record than her husband has (I went there)

http://msn.foxsports.com/college-basketball/story/craig-robinson-fired-oregon-state-beavers-president-barack-obama-michelle-brother-050514

Rock Hard Ten
05-05-2014, 12:18 PM
this is hilarious…..wonder if POTUS will be attending any more Beavers's games?

Craig can move into the Lincoln Room if things are rough financially….just like when he was a kid…..living at home with his mother and sister

StuBleedsBlue2
05-05-2014, 12:23 PM
I don't think a $4MM buyout is "rough financially". He'll be just fine.

blueboss
05-05-2014, 07:52 PM
Serious question - Had anybody other than Obuma been elected for president would Robinson been hired as HC at Oregon St or any other D1 school??

StuBleedsBlue2
05-05-2014, 08:08 PM
Serious question - Had anybody other than Obuma been elected for president would Robinson been hired as HC at Oregon St or any other D1 school??

He was hired before Obama was elected, was a D-1 head coach before that and was aa assistant at Princeton for years before that. So yes, he was hirable before Obama was President.

Now that this thread was made political, it should be moved.

blueboss
05-05-2014, 08:12 PM
Not trying to make it a political thread but I had no idea of Robinson's coaching ability, where was he coaching prior to the O St job?

StuBleedsBlue2
05-05-2014, 08:21 PM
Not trying to make it a political thread but I had no idea of Robinson's coaching ability, where was he coaching prior to the O St job?

He played for Pete Carrill at Princeton, 2 time Ivy League POY, drafted in the NBA, 6 year Princeton asst and the head coach at Brown. Probably helped that Carill was out west working for the Kings that helped get him some attention out there.

TonyRay
05-05-2014, 08:28 PM
Maybe he can coach his brother-in-law.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVWHgMMF0cM

dan_bgblue
05-05-2014, 08:38 PM
I see an ambassadorship in his future

BigBlue92
05-05-2014, 08:57 PM
He was hired before Obama was elected, was a D-1 head coach before that and was aa assistant at Princeton for years before that. So yes, he was hirable before Obama was President. Now that this thread was made political, it should be moved.

He assisted his brother-in-law throughout the latter's 2008 presidential campaign, including campaigning for him during the Iowa caucuses and campaigning and giving speeches for him in a number of other states, sometimes combining campaigning with recruiting visits.[11][13] He introduced his sister Michelle before her speech on August 25, 2008, the first night of the 2008 Democratic National Convention,[17] which gave him his largest national exposure.[18] He was also on stage following Obama's victory speech in Grant Park after his election as president on November 4, 2008.[13]

On April 7, 2008, Robinson was hired as the Oregon State Beavers' head basketball coach[14] following the team's winless Pacific-10 Conference record and overall 6–25 mark the year before.[13] (Jesse Agel, Robinson's assistant of two years, took over Robinson's former position at Brown).[13] Robinson acknowledged that his political connections might enhance Oregon State's recruiting efforts.[13]

BigBlue92
05-05-2014, 08:58 PM

Seems like a basketball topic to me. Was he qualified for the job, or not. Sounds like a maybe, but he brought politics into his own qualifications.

Thedonnie123
05-05-2014, 09:07 PM
He assisted his brother-in-law throughout the latter's 2008 presidential campaign, including campaigning for him during the Iowa caucuses and campaigning and giving speeches for him in a number of other states, sometimes combining campaigning with recruiting visits.[11][13] He introduced his sister Michelle before her speech on August 25, 2008, the first night of the 2008 Democratic National Convention,[17] which gave him his largest national exposure.[18] He was also on stage following Obama's victory speech in Grant Park after his election as president on November 4, 2008.[13] On April 7, 2008, Robinson was hired as the Oregon State Beavers' head basketball coach[14] following the team's winless Pacific-10 Conference record and overall 6–25 mark the year before.[13] (Jesse Agel, Robinson's assistant of two years, took over Robinson's former position at Brown).[13] Robinson acknowledged that his political connections might enhance Oregon State's recruiting efforts.[13]

I'm hardly a democrat, but it sounds like he was helping family. I can't fault him for that. And you can bet if potus was Cal's brother, he'd use it to death.

CitizenBBN
05-05-2014, 09:36 PM
I'm hardly a democrat, but it sounds like he was helping family. I can't fault him for that. And you can bet if potus was Cal's brother, he'd use it to death.

I don't think he's blaming him, just saying that his increased prominence due to family connections probably was a factor. In sports I'd say it's almost for certain, where nepotism an "connections" is how everything is done. Sons and other family constantly hired onto staffs, coach in waiting deals.

It's not like Cal held interviews for his open coaching position. Sports and esp. college sports is a bastion of "who you know", and being tied to the POTUS had to have helped. Nothing "wrong" with it, or at least nothing more wrong than all the other "who you know" deals in sports.

StuBleedsBlue2
05-05-2014, 09:59 PM
He was hired as OSU's in April 2008. Obama was elected in Nov 2008.

It's not like we're talking about UK, Duke one even IU. He was hired by the worst program in the Pac-10. His resume was fine enough to get him that job.

He just didn't do a very good job, better than really anybody else has done there, though.

CitizenBBN
05-05-2014, 10:43 PM
Presidents start their elections well before April of the election year.

Did it help him? Yeah, probably. does that make it wrong in some political sense? Not to me, just another example of the somewhat cockeyed hiring practices of college sports departments.

Kevin O'Neill got the UT job b/c he beat UK in the NCAA tourney in one game. The bumps from being related to someone, or married to someone related to someone, or having one good run in a tourney are commonplace. Did it help Stoops that he is part of a family coaching tree? Of course it did. We had posts on here about it being a positive, think any Trustee at UK had the same idea? Of course it helped his BIL was a likely future President, but not in a Democrat/Republican way, just in a "why do they hire coaches for these reasons that don't really prove anything" way.

I'm sure some involved in the decision thought "that will help with recruiting" and such the same way they do when they speculated about O'Neill being able to "have UK's number" at UT or Rick Jr. being able to sell on his dad's name and sign players. I presume Trustees and Presidents and ADs latch onto this stuff b/c they don't have anything tangible to latch on to, like watching their teams or studying their performance. They don't know the sport in great detail, and even if they did it still seems quite a crapshoot who will pan out and who wont, so this stuff all gets put in the pot too.

jazyd
05-05-2014, 11:11 PM
I think both did about the same, fortunately for OSU they can fire a coach at any time, while us citizens are stuck and getting screwed at the same time

TRUCKERCATFAN
05-05-2014, 11:58 PM
I think both did about the same, fortunately for OSU they can fire a coach at any time, while us citizens are stuck and getting screwed at the same time

^^^^^^^^Post of the decade!

ajp40505
05-06-2014, 06:33 AM

Well said, jaxyd. Unfortunately it's to late for getting fired to become an Obama family trend.

MTcatfan
05-06-2014, 08:01 AM
Didn't realize I ventured onto the barber shop forum...

Doc
05-06-2014, 11:23 AM
Maybe he can coach his brother-in-law.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVWHgMMF0cM

Photoshopped according to Jay Carney

or its the ONLY YOUTUBE video I've ever seen where a player MISSES a shot!