PDA

View Full Version : More Camera Talk

CGWildcat
05-01-2014, 01:28 PM
I think it was Dan_bgblue I had been speaking with about the Tamron super telephoto lens....

Just read this article. Pretty spot on if you ask me. http://digital-photography-school.com/lens-review-tamron-sp-150-600mm-f5-6-3-di-vc-usd

You can also see a few ducks in our backyard taken with the same Tamron hand held as I sat about 20-25 feet away

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue_vines_photo/

I'm leaving Saturday for Yosemite!!!! I've rented the Canon 70-200L 2.8 to have fun with during my 4 days there along with the Tamron. Anyone been? Any suggestions? Won't be doing a lot of "hiking" per se, but definitely going "in" off the main roads to a degree.

:)

dan_bgblue
05-02-2014, 02:32 PM
Unless you are going to be doing a lot of shooting in low light, I wish you had rented the 70-200 f4 IS. It weighs less than half what the f2.8 beast does, and I actually prefer the images it produces to the f2.8 in good light.

Whatevuh, hope you enjoy the trip!!

I just clicked the link, and noticed something in your water images. Do a little reading on polarizing filters. They can make a lot of differences in water shots and also shots where window glass, car glass, etc is reflecting a lot of light.

CGWildcat
05-03-2014, 10:57 AM
Dan, I actually do plan on doing some low light shots with the waterfalls and stars. :) What am I missing on my water shots??

dan_bgblue
05-03-2014, 06:41 PM
Dan, I actually do plan on doing some low light shots with the waterfalls and stars. :) What am I missing on my water shots??

You are not missing anything as the images portray what the unaided human eye sees, but the polarizing filter is a tool that will alter the image qualities before the light hits the sensor. Did you ever want the image to show the pebbles 2 feet under the surface of a clear mountain stream, or critters under the surface of calm water in a tidal pool? Did you ever take a shot of a store front with glass windows, or an automobile, in bright sunlight and wish the image had clearly shown what was behind the glass? Under many circumstances the polarizing filter will give you just that. Ever wonder why fishermen wear polarizing sunglasses? Helps them see beneath the surface of the water.

Like I said, it is a filter worth reading up on for a person that likes to shoot a lot outdoors. It can also make the sky bluer, or the clouds whiter under certain circumstances before you ever have to do something in a processing program post shot.