PDA

View Full Version : Those poor people on the Gulf Coast panhandle... 24" rain in 25 hours

Darrell KSR
04-30-2014, 07:39 AM
Twenty-four inches of rain have fallen in 25 hours in Pensacola, causing massive flooding. Mobile and other areas also in bad shape. A drowning occurred in a submerged vehicle. Just awful.

via mobile app

jazyd
04-30-2014, 09:13 AM
Just sitting there

Doc
04-30-2014, 10:09 AM
Dang, we need some rain here. They could ship it here if they like. I'm one of those people who love storms. Even really bad one. I actually like a good hurricane (cat 1, 2 or even a 3)

blueboss
04-30-2014, 11:48 AM
I'm heading to the area in 10 days (Perdido Key) I called and checked and the condo has sustained no damage. It did get the roof blown off five years ago during Ivan and sustained massive water damage leading to a complete remodel....

We got lucky(if 25"of water is lucky) with this event as it was all water and no wind/tornadoes.

Doc
04-30-2014, 01:46 PM
Most of the issue with these storms isn't so much the amount of rain but the duration of the rain. You get one of these storms that moves rapidly thru and its not too bad however get one that sits for 2 or 3 days over you, thats where you get issues. The ground gets saturated and there is nowhere for the run off to go. Flash floods become permanent floods. Lost power can't be re-established for days. I'll take a cat 2 that is hauling ass over a slow moving cat 1. That 70 mph wind storm moving at 5 miles an hour will do far more damage than a 90 mph wind storm moving at 30 mph