PDA

View Full Version : Where are you retiring?

bigsky
04-26-2014, 10:13 PM
It's getting closer for me.

Darrell KSR
04-26-2014, 11:45 PM
At this rate, wherever I stop breathing.

via mobile app

CitizenBBN
04-27-2014, 12:10 AM
What is this "retiring" you speak of? Is it like a car thing? I'm not a big car guy.

Are you asking where to or when in time? Where to will be some place warm, when will be never based on my current projections. lol

bigsky
04-27-2014, 12:42 AM
Yeah I'm not kidding. Stuff happens and it's less and less attractive to work past "kids done with college"

Someplace warm is likely the exact opposite of what many people would think. They would go to Florida about the time I'd be showing up in their town.

Likely gonna start taking some time next March looking--could be fairly urban, could be coastal, could be just around the corner from somebody here.

Catonahottinroof
04-27-2014, 06:50 AM
I will likely retire in Tennessee(no income tax).

suncat05
04-27-2014, 07:12 AM
Camaya Coast Resort, Mariveles, Philippines. With a 2nd residence in Olongapo City. :4chsmu1:

suncat05
04-27-2014, 07:17 AM
Depending on who the next Sheriff is here after the elections in 2 years, short term in 2, but no longer than 6 years from now. That's it, stick a fork in me, I'll be DONE! And after that, I don't want to see badges, handcuffs, police cars, blue lights, these stupid green 'pickle suits', NOTHING to do with the PO-LICE anymore. Just give me my retirement check and leave me the hell alone!

KSRdallen
04-27-2014, 07:54 AM
Oxford, MS. I've been here for two and a half years and love it. An SEC town with a wonderful feel, Oxford has so much to offer in terms of the arts, great restaurants, the University, etc. While a small town (population is 20,000), it has a mid-sized city feel to it. Memphis is 70 minutes away and the airport is on the south side making it easy access. New Orleans is 5 hours away so when the Cats are there it's a quick trip. It is becoming a retirement destination because of these attributes and great weather to boot.

bigsky
04-27-2014, 08:07 AM
Oxford, MS. I've been here for two and a half years and love it. An SEC town with a wonderful feel, Oxford has so much to offer in terms of the arts, great restaurants, the University, etc. While a small town (population is 20,000), it has a mid-sized city feel to it. Memphis is 70 minutes away and the airport is on the south side making it easy access. New Orleans is 5 hours away so when the Cats are there it's a quick trip. It is becoming a retirement destination because of these attributes and great weather to boot. going to visit there

KSRdallen
04-27-2014, 08:16 AM
going to visit there

Let me know. I'd be glad to show you around!

Doc
04-27-2014, 08:42 AM
We are thinking Colorado, possibly Breckenridge. Second choice is Europe, likely french countryside. We have no aversion to cold or snow or any attraction to warm since we have been in FL for the last 20years

kingcat
04-27-2014, 11:55 AM
As for Kentucky I'd strongly suggest Elizabethtown. And then I'd spend those big bucks on a membership to Valhalla (http://valhalla.pgalinks.com/) an hour away in Louisville, and bypass all the other nice courses around. :unworthy:

http://www.pga.com/pgachampionship/sites/pgachampionship/files/new-valhalla-7.jpg

The Hub City is truly that, within and hour or two of everywhere that is anywhere in this state, including Louisville, Lexington, Bowling Green, and Nashville. Down the street from equally historic Bardstown and Fort Knox

The fastest growing city in the state while yet maintaining its small city charm.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=City+of+Elizabethtown+Kentucky&FORM=RESTAB#view=detail&mid=23A26FDD492B6CA0AD5223A26FDD492B6CA0AD52

Darrell KSR
04-27-2014, 03:15 PM
If and when the time comes, I want close to family if I can, somewhere in the heart of SEC country, and would like easy access to reasonable golf. Nashville would be a good area, but open to many choices. Would also like access to strong off Broadway plays annually.

via mobile app

JimUK
04-27-2014, 06:38 PM
Looking at over 55 trailer parks around Winter Haven Fla...

jazyd
04-27-2014, 07:50 PM
Whoever my grand kids live

MickintheHam
04-28-2014, 08:13 PM
It will be soon for me, less than one year. I have no problem staying in the Ham, but with a very soon to be granddaughter in Nicholasville, i could move home. I would cerainly recommend that if there are no othar considerations that you move to a low tax state.

blueboss
04-28-2014, 08:26 PM
Seriously considering NE FL...Amelia Island, but as JZ mentioned a lot will depend on where the grand kids are when the time comes.

Crazy4Blue
04-29-2014, 05:47 PM
Florida. I HATE cold weather.

Lfbj00
04-29-2014, 09:46 PM
I've only got 14 years, 8 months, and 3 days left until I can tell the people here at the Big Brown Plane Facility to JAM THESE PACKAGES UP THEIR $&@!!!! (But who's counting??). That'll put me with 43 1/2 years in as a UPS Teamster. My goal was to beat my Gpa...he had 43 years in for Reynolds Aluminum as a member of The United Steelworkers of America and the Aluminum, Brick and Glass Workers International Union. Hopefully I'll pass him!!

As for retirement, I absolutely love Panama City Beach, so I could see a purchase of somekind there. Then a tour of the SEC football stadiums is scheduled to begin!!

KSRBEvans
05-01-2014, 03:09 PM
This is one of those areas where the missus and I differ (a little). I hate cold weather the older I get, and ever since I was in the Navy I've known that being as close to the ocean as possible is the thing for me. OTOH, Mrs. BEvans' dream is to retire to France or Italy: something like "Under The Tuscan Sun," just not as many hot Italian guys for her. ;) But she likes the ocean, too, so that's probably where we'll end up, if I had to guess.

Thing is, retirement looks like it's getting pushed off. I used to dream about dropping my papers the day I turn 60, which is the earliest I could start drawing my pension. But we have other things going on which probably means it'll be 65 or so, if then. Thank goodness I like what I do.