PDA

View Full Version : Bald Eagle

cattails
10-05-2012, 02:58 PM
I live in the country and was driving into town, thought it was a buzzard eating road kill, slowed down and just as I got about 5 feet from the bird it flew off and it was a mature bald eagle, beutiful white tail and white head. What a beautiful site!!
I have lived out here for going on 40 years and have seen the bald eagle may be two other times. Great experience to see in the wild.

dan_bgblue
10-05-2012, 03:16 PM
Big aren't they? I remember the first one I ever saw and thought my God that thing is huge. They are a beautiful bird for sure

jazyd
10-05-2012, 03:18 PM
They used to come to the LBL when I lived in Hopkinsville, and another pair nested on the edge of the Ballard County Refuge several years back.
Saw several while on a cruise in alaska, just beautiful.
Good going Carl

CitizenBBN
10-05-2012, 07:27 PM
That's cool. Never seen one in person. I love it when I catch a look at a red tail hawk. The predator birds just have a Carey Grant type style to them.

Catfan73
10-05-2012, 08:57 PM
I just saw one the other day about 1/2 mile off the Farmer's exit off I-64 near Morehead. They've had nesting pairs on Cave Run Lake for awhile now, but I'd never seen one this close as it flew over my car maybe 30 feet off the road. Once you see one you know what it is right away because they are huge.

ukblue
10-05-2012, 10:25 PM
I have a nesting pair living between some ponds that I built. If a fish offers to come to the top of the water he's a goner. They are beautiful though.

DanISSELisdaman
10-05-2012, 11:46 PM
I saw one at Cumberland Gap a couple years ago and another in Pine Mt. not far from where I live a few months ago.

cattails
10-05-2012, 11:56 PM
Great stuff guys!! I have a friend who is a big game hunter and I was telling him about it and he said there were 168 (I believe that is right) nesting pairs in KY. Yes the bald eagle is a sight to see, seeing one in a zoo is just not the same. Skip you will enjoy this, my 8 year old grandson got his 1st turkey this year and my son called this evening to tell me my grandson just got a seven point buck with a cross bow, pretty amazing for 8 years old!!

Darrell KSR
10-06-2012, 12:30 AM
How do they taste?

(ducking)

cattails
10-06-2012, 05:42 AM
Just like chicken and don't tell anyone, just having a feather in your position can get you time in jail, even the big house. Oh and smoked is the best. :p

CitizenBBN
10-06-2012, 08:58 AM
Just like chicken and don't tell anyone, just having a feather in your position can get you time in jail, even the big house. Oh and smoked is the best. :p

Yep, they'll put you away faster than you can say "sorry". Rightfully so of course. So cool to see them coming back. Majestic creatures.

jazyd
10-06-2012, 03:52 PM
If you know the area they are in, look for a golf ball in the trees, that is their head. it is what they told us when in Alaska and it helped me alot.

Carl, tell him congrats, the young man is growing up correctly. :)

cattails
10-06-2012, 05:43 PM
If you know the area they are in, look for a golf ball in the trees, that is their head. it is what they told us when in Alaska and it helped me alot.

Carl, tell him congrats, the young man is growing up correctly. :)

Thanks Skip, I can tell him as soon as he stops shaking!!!

Jimcats
10-06-2012, 08:09 PM
I'd be at the head of the line to boo the muther who killed a bald eagle. And cheering at the arrest (yeah, I squealed on the rat!). We (mankind) nearly wiped them out once, shame on us.

I'm with CBBN in admiring all the birds of prey--even the owls. A very small mama hawk once nested in a tree in our yard for a few years--Coopers Hawk maybe. Once one of her babies fell out of the nest to the ground. By the time I was aware, a cat was threatening but mama sat there with her wings spread out over the babe and facing the cat. After chasing the cat away, I put the baby back up in the tree. I assume that it survived. That mama was going to die rather than leave her baby to the cat.

CitizenBBN
10-06-2012, 09:10 PM
Like owls too Jim. Amazingly powerful animals.

Darrell KSR
10-06-2012, 10:20 PM
Owls! Yum.

cattails
10-06-2012, 11:34 PM
I'd be at the head of the line to boo the muther who killed a bald eagle. And cheering at the arrest (yeah, I squealed on the rat!). We (mankind) nearly wiped them out once, shame on us.

I'm with CBBN in admiring all the birds of prey--even the owls. A very small mama hawk once nested in a tree in our yard for a few years--Coopers Hawk maybe. Once one of her babies fell out of the nest to the ground. By the time I was aware, a cat was threatening but mama sat there with her wings spread out over the babe and facing the cat. After chasing the cat away, I put the baby back up in the tree. I assume that it survived. That mama was going to die rather than leave her baby to the cat.

Jim I know a great deal about hawks and birds of prey, have a good friend who is a master falconer and I have flown them myself. I doubt that was a cooper hawk as that cat is in the food chain for a cooper. A male cooper is about 1/3 the size of the female. A sharp shinned (hawk) female is about the size of a male cooper. A female cooper is not that much smaller than a red tail or broad wing. What you might have had is a sparrow hawk (which is really in the falcon family), little smaller than a pigeon. I have had coopers in hand and they are nothing to mess with, their talons are like needles at point and would rip a cat apart. Coopers are also one of the worst to fly for a falconer, very hard to control, Harris hawks or red tails are easy to fly. Chuck said owl are powerful, understatement, pound for pound about the most damgerous bird or even animal to be up against, they will rip you apart if not handeled right. Darrell I couldn't tell you what owls taste like, I assume chicken.

Catfan73
10-07-2012, 12:13 AM
What kind of hawk was this guy?

He said he was a chicken hawk, but he never seemed to know what a chicken was, even one as big as this guy.

CitizenBBN
10-07-2012, 12:25 AM

He said he was a chicken hawk, but he never seemed to know what a chicken was, even one as big as this guy.

True but he always had a great solution: drag em all back home. :D

Man I love Looney Tunes. Kids today watch all that huggy hippie junk. A proper kid's cartoon must include a gun or an anvil. :)

cattails
10-07-2012, 06:37 AM

He was called a chicken hawk which is another name for a cooper hawk. Farmers gave em that name, blue darter was another name. I loved those "REAl" cartoons also Chuck. I say there boy, I say there boy, let me show you how it's done, follow me!!!! Great old stuff. How bout Road Runner and ace company?

MickintheHam
10-07-2012, 10:56 AM
We had an owl living in a large old tree outside my daughter's bedroom window. At first the thing frightened her terribly. As she grew older she found comfort in the nocturnal sounds. The tree was at the top end of the driveway in the middle of a wooded area. The only open space was the driveway. He would swoop down the drive and into the woods across the street to catch his prey. What a gorgeous site!

cattails
10-07-2012, 12:04 PM
Yes owls are nocturnal and a killing machine, many different sizes and colors of owls, the big ones are "cow a bung ga" bad ass. Leave them alone, they leave you alone.

MickintheHam
10-08-2012, 11:08 AM
I parked my car on the street one night at the end of the driveway to fetch the mail. As I got out, that owl came swooping down the driveway about 7 ft. off the ground. His wingspan took up the whole width of the driveway. I absolutely thought I was going to have a coronary. Thank God he was after something on the other side of the street. I'll never forget the sound of the swoosh as he went by. I never saw him until he was on top of me.

Darrell KSR
10-08-2012, 11:29 AM
Wait.

I know you guys. The owl-love must represent something else. What could it be?

dan_bgblue
10-08-2012, 03:39 PM
Wait.

I know you guys. The owl-love must represent something else. What could it be?

I saw a Hooters Girl riding a broom one Halloween. That caused a rush of emotion for sure.

jazyd
10-09-2012, 10:23 PM
A rush of what? hehe

Heard a owl tonight when I got home, we have several in the trees around my house. KInda nice to hear after being at deer camp all day bushhogging and spraying the fields with roundup. Nice wildlife day and come home and hear the owl before I came in the house. Relaxing is what it was today.

I saw a Hooters Girl riding a broom one Halloween. That caused a rush of emotion for sure.

cattails
10-09-2012, 11:23 PM
A rush of what? hehe

Heard a owl tonight when I got home, we have several in the trees around my house. KInda nice to hear after being at deer camp all day bushhogging and spraying the fields with roundup. Nice wildlife day and come home and hear the owl before I came in the house. Relaxing is what it was today.

Living in the country as long as I have and everyone around me has land, cattle and horses, the night sounds are a joy to hear, I just love the wild and open space.