PDA

View Full Version : Rock and Roll HOF

Lfbj00
10-04-2012, 10:51 PM
The nominations for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's Class of 2013 are in. This year's hopefuls are Albert King, Chic, Deep Purple, Donna Summer, Heart, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Kraftwerk, the Marvelettes, the Meters, N.W.A., Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Procul Harum, Public Enemy, Randy Newman and Rush. The top vote-getters will be inducted on April 18th, 2013 at the Nokia Theater L.A. live in Los Angeles.

For the first time, the public gets to vote alongside the artists, historians and music industry insiders of the Rock Hall voting body. From now until December 5th, fans can vote on RollingStone.com for the nominees they'd like to see inducted. The top five acts will comprise a "fan's ballot" that will count as one of the more than 600 ballots that determine the Class of 2013. The results will be announced in mid-December.

So who is in your Top 5 of this list? Here's mine: Albert King, Rush, Randy Newman, N.W.A., Public Enemy.

MickintheHam
10-05-2012, 02:35 PM
1. Abert King - his style inspired Eric Clapton and Stevie Ray Vaughan. Is there anything left to say?
2. Paul Butterfield
3. Procol Harum
4. Donna Summer - not my style but you gotta put her in there
5. Randy Newman - how can I not vote for the guy who recorded "Birmingham" - Greatest City Alabam. ............Gotta Big Black Dog his name is Dan, He lives in my back yard in Burminham, meanest dog in Alabam', Git 'em Dan. ....You can travel cross this entire land, there's no place like Birmingham. That says it all.

Doc
10-06-2012, 05:41 PM
Albert King-Definitely worthy.
Chic-disco does not equal rock and roll, plus can you name more than 3 chic songs? (La Freak and Good Times....need one more). The RR HOF has been criticized for letting some less than worthy groups in. This nomination easily falls in that category.
Deep Purple-not really a worthy one however their bass riff in "Smoke on the Water" is iconic. Borderline IMO
Donna Summer-see Chic. Disco ain't rock and roll
Heart-I'm not a Heart fan however my preferences should not play into consideration. Body of work, longevity, recognizability, influence, etc make them worthy
Joan Jett and the Blackhearts-I can see them/her in the "two hit wonder HOF"
Kraftwerk-I hate techno bands. Certain not a group that conjures up images of "rock and roll". DEVO light!
the Marvelettes-before my time but what beside "Mr Postman"?
the Meters-90% of the people out there don't even know who the Meters are. Shouldn't a "hall of fame" band be at least recognizable to somebody?
N.W.A.-Rap rhymes with Crap for a reason. I'd definetely put them in the "Rap HOF" but this is Rock and Roll
Paul Butterfield Blues Band-can you say "Blues HOF"
Procul Harum-Beatles influenced band, one good hit. Also a launching pad for Robin Trower. Were somewhat influential in the development of some styles of RR but not sure HOF worthy
Public Enemy-Rap, see NWA
Randy Newman-nothing more than a jingle writer. Better than Charlie Harper but only slightly.
Rush-this is the one slam dunk. When I saw the list this was the only one that screamed YES. Moving Pictures is one of the great albums from my childhood. Getty Lee has one of the most iconic voices and their style definetely rock and roll.

So for me the "IN"s would be Rush, Heart and Albert King. If I had to go with 5, I'd add Deep Purple and Procul Harum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d7VzXgLO6Q

MickintheHam
10-08-2012, 03:50 PM
For the record, Blues gave birth to Rock and Roll. If you are a candidate for the Blues HOF, you should be a slam dunk for the R&R Hall of Fame. No ifs, no ands, no butts.

Blues >Rock and Roll.

Lfbj00
10-08-2012, 04:18 PM
Doc, I agree about 'modern' rap, but groups like N.W.A. and Public Enemy were important to the modern type if music that's played on Pop stations.

Scout714
10-08-2012, 05:20 PM
Knoxville Tenn 1976 16 y/o with a pint of MD 20/20. I think I saw god or was it Deep Purple. They are rock and roll. Forget Smoke on the Water and try Highway Star. (music starts at 1:30 sec)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqEW53Ui2no&feature=plcp

fastkat
10-09-2012, 07:46 AM
Albert King
Deep Purple
Randy Newman
Maybe Butterfield Blues Band and only because the guitarists were Michael Bloomfield and Elvin Bishop

No one else is worthy.

blue2ksr
10-09-2012, 08:21 AM
I can't believe any of these are in before Journey.