PDA

View Full Version : Anybody done your taxes yet?

Doc
04-13-2014, 09:55 PM
if so, what was your effective tax rate?

Basically to figure it, take line 22 (total income) and divide it by line 61 (total tax).

Doc
04-13-2014, 10:02 PM
I came in at 20.88% which surprised me a bit. Figured I'd be higher. Fortunately I have a good accountant and run lots through the business so it helps.

Many know that I'm a "flat tax" proponent. Personally I see that as a progressive tax where the more you make the more you pay. Some don't see it that way as they believe the more you make the greater the PERCENTAGE you should pay. I guess that's because you should be thankful that you make more money. I'd also not mind paying more IF (and only if) the spending was brought under control. I don't want them taking more of my money so they can waste more of my money.

KSRBEvans
04-14-2014, 08:21 AM
I'm about 95% finished with my taxes and will wrap it up tonight.

If it were up to me, we'd have a constitutional amendment banning the income tax and then institute a national sales tax. We should be encouraging people to earn money, not disincentivising (?) it by taxing it.

I know the arguments against the "regressive" nature of that type of system, but IMHO that argument doesn't carry much weight. It's more of a political argument than an argument for or against a tax system that works.

If we have a to have an income tax, then the flat tax works for me.

Darrell KSR
04-14-2014, 09:38 AM
I do about three clients returns every year, plus numerous family members. Mine generally gets postponed till sometime in the summer.

via mobile app

jazyd
04-14-2014, 04:35 PM
Finished last week, getting a return. I keep such good records I just tally everything, give it and all necessary paperwork to the accountant, she adds to the corporate stuff and done. What is unsettling is how much accountant charges for running all the numbers thru a program :(

KeithKSR
04-22-2014, 08:26 PM
I do about three clients returns every year, plus numerous family members. Mine generally gets postponed till sometime in the summer.

via mobile app

That would be late summer, D.

Did my taxes on the 10th of April. I got the 'What the hell you doing here' look. I guess the got accustomed to seeing me after the April 15th tax deadline.

KeithKSR
04-22-2014, 08:28 PM
Finished last week, getting a return. I keep such good records I just tally everything, give it and all necessary paperwork to the accountant, she adds to the corporate stuff and done. What is unsettling is how much accountant charges for running all the numbers thru a program :(

Efficiency gains you nothing. I have everything categorized on spreadsheets and pay the same as I would pay if I dumped a box of receipts on their desk. They charge by the form.

cattails
05-02-2014, 06:33 PM
I have used the same company for our corp taxes, K-1, W-2, other filings, most of which I do through QuickBooks program. Then I do our personal tax through same company, do max IRA for my wife and I, turn in deductions and other income. Have used the same company for years, they have all the expanded data, depreciations and so forth. I feel I am getting the most benefits in this manner.