PDA

View Full Version : Weight Loss Thread

Darrell KSR
08-15-2012, 11:47 PM
Gives me a chance to start over.

Unfortunately, I actually went up from where I was on the other board. So this is my fresh start.

If you feel uncomfortable posting your weight, don't post it, but just post what your goal may be, and progress toward your goal. I don't mind--I know I am too heavy and don't mind this group knowing, too.

I'm at 6'0, 229.2. That was August 13 when I weighed.

My goal is to lose 1-2 pounds a week through a little better eating, and consistent, moderate exercise. Right now, it's walking. Walked 3+ miles yesterday while my son was at soccer practice; will do the same tomorrow if I am off work by that time.

I want to get to 200, and then less, but an intermediate goal is 210 by the end of the year, so I'm going to go with that.

I'm on record.

August 13, 2012
Weight: 229.2
Goal: 210.0
Pounds to go: 19.2
Goal "deadline": December 31, 2012

Anybody want to join me?

badrose
08-16-2012, 08:51 AM
6'0" and 229 isn't bad, D, depending on how it's distributed. When I was in pretty good shape I weighed 180-182 and I'm 5'8". A lot of that was muscle, though. I've yet to weigh, but I've lost 6 inches around my waist. I noticed this morning while standing straight up my t-shirt didn't touch my stomach. I just need to firm up at this point.

Darrell KSR
08-16-2012, 08:49 PM
No, it's not well distributed at all. Flabby, poor. I would say really I need to weigh like 180, but let me take small steps first.

Critter
08-16-2012, 10:22 PM
5'6" & 180 lbs on August 13

Shooting for 160. Now at 175.

KGB
08-17-2012, 05:30 PM
I started at 6ft, 230 on 8/6/12. Last weigh in was 222 8/8/12. Goal is 200-205. That is very good shape for me. A few years ago I was 192 and 12% body fat! I don't think I can touch that anymore!

blueboss
08-18-2012, 08:01 PM
I'm not going to make any excuses from the thread down the street, but I pretty much gave up after cervical surgery in February. Being 6'2" and around 242 I had hoped to get to the 210-200 area from Jan.1 to May 1 needless to sat I didn't make it. I think I made it to 225 and that included loss of weight not eating during surgery/recovery.

So here we go I've been staying around the 235 mark, my goal for now is to maybe drop a few pounds but more importantly not gain any weight. I've got a six month checkup next week and the DR should give me the green light for whatever exercise I can make myself do. With bird season just two weeks from today that'll provide the opportunity to do some walking.

Darrell KSR
08-19-2012, 03:13 PM
You may not make excuses, blueboss, but those are legitimate reasons regardless.

Here are my excuses this week:

Cherry berry chillers (1 medium, 1 small. Hey, it is better than the 1 a day I was doing)
Good portions of "first day of school" chocolate chip cookie cake
Two ice cream cone things with chocolate
Four peanut butter sandwiches
Two double cheeseburgers

That's just what I can remember. I have to start a better regular eating regime. Mine is horrible; most days I eat poorly.

akaukswoosh
08-19-2012, 03:31 PM
Ran into a friend at a high school reunion. Appeared slimmer than he did decades ago (unlike me). Asked him how he did it. Said he doesn't eat anything he doesn't cook himself. Makes sense.

Darrell KSR
08-19-2012, 08:41 PM
Ran into a friend at a high school reunion. Appeared slimmer than he did decades ago (unlike me). Asked him how he did it. Said he doesn't eat anything he doesn't cook himself. Makes sense.

That's an excellent way to do it. Excellent.

elicat
08-20-2012, 10:29 PM
I've got a high school reunion coming up in Lexington this fall. Way too many of my friends from those days look more or less just like they did in high school. Even my wife weighs within two or three pounds what she did when we got married in 1986. Not me.

I'm going to start one of those couch-to-5k programs seven days from today, after all the college move-ins are done. Starting at 6' 0", 235

BarristerCat
08-20-2012, 10:49 PM
Weight Watchers really worked well for me, but I have fallen off the wagon the last few months. I lost 2 pounds per week like clockwork (which is what they say you will lose if you follow the plan). I liked it because I could eat whatever I wanted, I just had to pick and choose on any given day. Their smart phone app made it really, really easy. I'm having to try a gluten free diet for a couple of months right now. Once I get that figured out, I'm starting WW again.

HCCATFAN
08-21-2012, 05:16 AM
6'3" Last November just after Thanksgiving weekend weighed 307. Now checking in at 239 and trying to get to 225. Have used weight watchers and an increased exercise schedule. Use the YMCA facilities 5 mornings a week at 5:30 AM and I am retired. Go early before I have a chance to talk myself out of going. Minimum exercise is 3 mile walk in less than 48 minutes. Attend cycling class three times a week and use elliptical for 30 minutes on days I do not walk. Also use the weight machines some as much as my arthritis will allow.

ED

Catonahottinroof
08-21-2012, 06:39 AM
I need to be in this thread....time of reckoning has come..

Darrell KSR
08-22-2012, 06:46 AM
August 22, 2012
Weight: 231.6
Progress since August 13, 2012: Have gained 2.4 pounds :(
Pounds to go: 21.6

MickintheHam
08-22-2012, 09:25 AM
Darrell, I'm trying. 4 years ago I was 5'9" and weighed 168. I was in great shape. I was running 5ks in about 25 minutes + or - few secs. I then had a stroke and went on prescription meds. I immediately gained 20 lbs and got up as high as 192. No diet seemed to get the pounds off. With a lot of anxiousness I started back running this summer 5 weeks ago. I could barely make 1k on our local cross country course. I'm up to 4k (finally) and am shooting to run a 5 k by September 15. I hope to make it in 40minutes but that may be a stretch. My weight is down to 185. Doctor was pleased with the progress 2 weeks ago. Goal is 170 by end of year. (What I wouldn't give for 160 which was my goal 4 years ago). I'm not sure I can get there, but will make a big push. 15 lbs to go. That's less than a pound a week. I can do that!

Darrell KSR
08-22-2012, 09:49 AM
Mick, you're doing great!

Do you do the cross country over close to me? I'd be embarrassed to go out there myself as bad as I am, but it's a very pretty area to run. Right now I'm walking--seriously, only walking--for an hour at Chelsea Park while my son has soccer practice. I get 3 miles over some very hilly terrain, but it's only 2x a week, and I have to do a lot more.

You will get there. You've been there, done that, and will do it again. I talk the talk for years, and haven't walked the walk. I need a kick in the rear.

MickintheHam
08-22-2012, 10:37 AM
Well, Darrell come over to the Spain Park CC course and I will kick your rear. LOL! Seriously I love running the course. There is such variety in the terrain. You run through the meadow, then through the wetlands, around the lake, back through the meadow and then through the woods. The reason I am at the 4k mark is the hill at 4k on that course. It is straight up!. They have a bench on the side of the path halfway up and it is well placed. If I have to stop there one more time, I'm going to carve my initials in it.

I ran CC in HS and really loved it. We used to train at Seneca Park in Louisville. Now I watch all of the HS kids who run the course when I am running and think back to the good old days. The big difference today is all of the HS girls who are running. The only sports for girls back then were field hockey and half court basketball. All of these kids breeze past me as though I am standing there. It's a tough life lesson to know you are on the downhill side.

jazyd
08-23-2012, 11:06 PM
Darrell, you can lose a lot of weight by walking those 3 miles if you do it 5 days a week, and cut out or way back on potatoes, sugars, butter, bread, soft drinks. I did that 4 years ago this summer, walking every night and got up to 3.5 miles a night up and down hills. Lost 40 pounds. Unfortunately it got cold and I quit, put a few back on, then ruptured two discs in my back and it all went to pot and gained 30 back. But back trying to walk at night again, not every night as my back won't take it right now, but up to a mile when I go. Also cutting back on the things I mentioned. Not name diet, eat what I kinda want, but just not nearly as much. I had small new potatoes once a week just to wet that part of my appetite. Drinking lots o water now, maybe one coke a week, maybe. Sweet tea with splenda.

And Mick, you did run at the FF in the mornings while I was laid up sleeping in bed. :)

5'8" 245, down 10 pounds in the last month...cut those sugars and starches back

Mick, you're doing great!

Do you do the cross country over close to me? I'd be embarrassed to go out there myself as bad as I am, but it's a very pretty area to run. Right now I'm walking--seriously, only walking--for an hour at Chelsea Park while my son has soccer practice. I get 3 miles over some very hilly terrain, but it's only 2x a week, and I have to do a lot more.

You will get there. You've been there, done that, and will do it again. I talk the talk for years, and haven't walked the walk. I need a kick in the rear.

elicat
08-28-2012, 04:26 PM
I did the first session of off and on running and walking yesterday evening. Not fun. Supposed to rest today, so I don't have to go through it again tonight!. I reckon it's worth it. You couldn't have told my 22 year old self that I would get into this shape!

MickintheHam
08-29-2012, 11:02 AM
August 29, 2012
Weight: 184.2
Goal: 170
Pounds to go: 14.2
Progress: Well, I dropped 8 tenths of a pound in a week. I have however taken in another notch on my belt and I have a lot more seat room in my khakis. I can grab a handful of baggy material. I'll take it for now. There's nothing better in life than to take your belt in another notch.

Darrell KSR
09-01-2012, 07:03 AM
September 1, 2012
Weight: 230.0
Progress since August 13, 2012: Have gained 0.8 pounds (but lost 1.6 since Aug 22, yay)
Pounds to go: 20.0

Better eating (other than one slip-up at a Jim-N-Nicks lunch, but didn't want to deprive myself that day), but almost no exercise.

I will get there.

Darrell KSR
09-01-2012, 07:04 AM
55 pushups, 69 situps, and a 2 mile run in 15:25. It is the first time I have broken 16:00 minutes in ten years or so. I was gassed at the end though. I weighed in at 194 on official scales but I had been weighing in at 186-188 on unofficial scales. :(. The man is trying to keep me down. My goal is 185 by September 21st. Got to keep pushing!

FANtastic, dethbylt. Keep up the good work.

Darrell KSR
09-01-2012, 07:05 AM
August 29, 2012
Weight: 184.2
Pounds to go: 14.2
Progress: Well, I dropped 8 tenths of a pound in a week. I have however taken in another notch on my belt and I have a lot more seat room in my khakis. I can grab a handful of baggy material. I'll take it for now. There's nothing better in life than to take your belt in another notch.

You looked like you had already lost it. But exercise will shape you up before the weight drops sometimes, I hear. Keep up the good work.

Darrell KSR
09-01-2012, 07:06 AM
You're right, consistency is the key, and I haven't been able to get that done. Sigh.

Darrell, you can lose a lot of weight by walking those 3 miles if you do it 5 days a week, and cut out or way back on potatoes, sugars, butter, bread, soft drinks. I did that 4 years ago this summer, walking every night and got up to 3.5 miles a night up and down hills. Lost 40 pounds. Unfortunately it got cold and I quit, put a few back on, then ruptured two discs in my back and it all went to pot and gained 30 back. But back trying to walk at night again, not every night as my back won't take it right now, but up to a mile when I go. Also cutting back on the things I mentioned. Not name diet, eat what I kinda want, but just not nearly as much. I had small new potatoes once a week just to wet that part of my appetite. Drinking lots o water now, maybe one coke a week, maybe. Sweet tea with splenda.

And Mick, you did run at the FF in the mornings while I was laid up sleeping in bed. :)

Darrell KSR
09-01-2012, 07:09 AM
I started at 6ft, 230 on 8/6/12. Last weigh in was 222 8/8/12. Goal is 200-205. That is very good shape for me. A few years ago I was 192 and 12% body fat! I don't think I can touch that anymore!

I'll probably be more overweight with my body type than you, but your numbers are remarkably similar to mine on where you started. You're well ahead of me in progress, but headed toward the same general goal, so I'll try to keep up...or at least, manage to keep you in my sights.

Darrell KSR
09-01-2012, 07:10 AM
Terrific! That's great, great work.

6'3" Last November just after Thanksgiving weekend weighed 307. Now checking in at 239 and trying to get to 225. Have used weight watchers and an increased exercise schedule. Use the YMCA facilities 5 mornings a week at 5:30 AM and I am retired. Go early before I have a chance to talk myself out of going. Minimum exercise is 3 mile walk in less than 48 minutes. Attend cycling class three times a week and use elliptical for 30 minutes on days I do not walk. Also use the weight machines some as much as my arthritis will allow.

ED

Darrell KSR
09-01-2012, 07:10 AM
Good luck, elicat!

You guys are giving me a lot of support and incentive to do it as well.

I've got a high school reunion coming up in Lexington this fall. Way too many of my friends from those days look more or less just like they did in high school. Even my wife weighs within two or three pounds what she did when we got married in 1986. Not me.

I'm going to start one of those couch-to-5k programs seven days from today, after all the college move-ins are done. Starting at 6' 0", 235

KGB
09-07-2012, 08:23 AM
Weighed in yesterday at 217.6. Been trying to exercise more, after a period of time off. I'll check my detailed numbers this weekend.

jazyd
09-07-2012, 09:24 AM
not getting on the scales today, not after dinner last night. Fried crawclas for appetizer, redfish Anna which was big piece of redfish with lumpcrab ment on top, mashed potatoes, green beans, with a rich sauce over both, ceasar salad although I did ask to lighten up on the amount of dressing. Then stopped at a ice cream shop on the way home for a snappy turtle...yogurt, hot fudge, caramel sauce, nuts, whip cream, and a cheery on top...oh and there are 3 layers of the good stuff.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM good.

CitizenBBN
09-07-2012, 06:24 PM
Most of you guys are starting where I've set my target goal. lol.

Got this email today, thought it humorous:

For those of you who watch what you eat, here's the final word on nutrition and health. It's a relief to know the truth after all those conflicting nutritional studies.

1. The Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

2. The Mexicans eat a lot of fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

3. The Chinese drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

4. The Italians drink a lot of red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans...

5. The Germans drink a lot of beer and eat lots of sausages and fats and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

CONCLUSION: Eat and drink what you like. Speaking English is apparently what kills you.

cattails
09-08-2012, 08:23 AM
I played 8 years in the NFL OL, 6'6" 325, oh wait that was another guy, may be I played NBA? Solid as a rock 6'7" 245, I could take on MKG and dunk in his face....................oh wait that was another guy also. Hmmmmmm???? Come to think of it I didn't do any of that, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once, or was that another guy? What was the question???

CitizenBBN
09-08-2012, 01:53 PM
I played 8 years in the NFL OL, 6'6" 325, oh wait that was another guy, may be I played NBA? Solid as a rock 6'7" 245, I could take on MKG and dunk in his face....................oh wait that was another guy also. Hmmmmmm???? Come to think of it I didn't do any of that, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once, or was that another guy? What was the question???

not sure about the rest, but I have a good guess you had fun in the 60s. ;)

cattails
09-08-2012, 10:51 PM
not sure about the rest, but I have a good guess you had fun in the 60s. ;)

60s, 60s, 60s, wow that sounds like something I should remember, boy wish I could remember!!! Sounds like I had a hell of a good time.

MickintheHam
09-13-2012, 11:02 AM
September 13, 2012
Weight: 185.4
Pounds to go: 15.4
Progress: Backward! Well, I got lazy over Labor Day. Drank too much beer watching the Uavel and Kent St. Games. I did not run for 10 days. I blame that on Isaac and football, but when you need excuses any will do. It showed up on the scales last night. I had dipped to near 180 but am back to the 185 level. I've been running 2 nights in a row. I am scheduled to take tonight off and run 4k on Friday. Saturday I plan to bike about 36 miles on the Chief Lidiga trail. The only problem with riding on the trail is knowing when to turn around and head back to the start.

Darrell KSR
09-13-2012, 11:16 AM
You want to hear an excuse, Mick?

Here's mine.

I can't find my mp3 player. I have misplaced it, lost for about two months, so even though I have an exercise bag filled in my car, and I continue to pay for the (cheap) exercise facility around the corner, and it would be ultra-convenient to visit, I haven't.

How's that for "any excuse" will do?

MickintheHam
09-13-2012, 02:54 PM
LOL. I dropped my gym membership because I wasn't using it. I am now officially committed to running, biking and exercising at home. I may regret this come January.

dethbylt
09-13-2012, 11:01 PM
I've lost so much weight that my posts have disappeared from this thread. :confused:

Ok, not really, but it sounded good in my head before I typed it out.

MickintheHam
09-24-2012, 07:13 PM
Sept 24,2012
Weight: 186.2
Goal: 170.0
Pounds to go: 16.2

Backsliding on weight but the good news is my running distance is improved. I am up to 4.4k. Tonight I conquered the"killer hill" at the 4k mark. The hill is 150m straight up. Tonight I went straight up the hill and then added 400m to my longest run since I started back running again. I'll trade a pound or two for getting up that damn Hill at the end of the run. I'll be at 5K in a week To 10 days and then I'll go to work on the lbs.

jazyd
09-24-2012, 10:57 PM
get out on the volleyball court with your daughter.

I lose 5, gain 5. Been walking again, up to a little over a mile, couldn't go tonight as my back was really hurting. Hope to get out tomorrow night.

cattail is just preparing for being a Mexican when he goes across the border, trains on how to sneak back across and claim he is an illegal and can get all the free benefits courtesy of the USA

You want to hear an excuse, Mick?

Here's mine.

I can't find my mp3 player. I have misplaced it, lost for about two months, so even though I have an exercise bag filled in my car, and I continue to pay for the (cheap) exercise facility around the corner, and it would be ultra-convenient to visit, I haven't.

How's that for "any excuse" will do?

Darrell KSR
09-25-2012, 03:36 AM
Hey, "officially" I ran a 5k Sunday, the 2012 Sozo Children's Aventure Run. My 11-year old ran it with 8 members of his soccer team. Although the entrance form had my son's name on it, apparently they picked my name up from the check and entered it. Not only did they mess that up, they also messed up the sex.

So apparently I am an 11-year old "woman" who ran the race. Finished 49th of 165. I feel empowered.

badrose
09-25-2012, 11:25 AM
Not only did they mess that up, they also messed up the sex.

And that right there is where you have to draw the line. Hope nobody else was involved.

Darrell KSR
09-25-2012, 04:48 PM
Just got back from the store. Have a new mp3 player. This one is smaller than the last one, so I stand a reasonable chance of misplacing/losing it, too, but installing the software on it now. That should take a month or so. Should be exercising again by Christmas.

Darrell KSR
09-25-2012, 09:33 PM
4.8 miles tonight on hilly track at Chelsea Park while son had soccer practice. Will. Pay. For. It. Tomorrow.

blueboss
09-26-2012, 06:57 PM
I drove to Frankfort and back today and I still weigh 235 and I'm still 6'2" but I'm still meeting my goal of not gaining any weight. Now if I can just make it through Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas at 235.

Darrell KSR
09-27-2012, 09:13 AM
Google apps has a fantastic app sale on today--I'm going to start another thread for it, but wanted to mention one today I downloaded, Runtastic Pro.

Runtastic Pro (normally $3.99 on Google Playstore for android, $5.99 on iTunes) is only $0.25 today. The thing is AMAZING. I'm wanting to go running just so I can play with it. It does everything but run for you.

Check it out if you get a chance.

So I have a new mp3 player, and a new fantastic app--no excuses from henceforth.

Darrell KSR
09-27-2012, 09:19 AM
Some of the features of Runtastic Pro:

Description
Your personal tracking app for running, biking and other sports activities!

Take your fitness to a new level with runtastic.

runtastic uses GPS to map your fitness activities - running, biking, walking - and track your progress (distance, speed, calories, and more). Be part of a global fitness community that is both fun and motivational.

PRO features:
* Voice feedback during a workout: Get audio feedback for each mile or kilometer
* Live tracking: Show your friends and family where you are
* Cheering: Hear cheers and receive messages live from your friends and be motivated to go even further
* Auto pause: Session is paused automatically when you stop movement (e.g. at a red light or tying your shoe). Works for running, biking, skating, cross-country skiing and handbiking.
* Colored traces: Different colors on the map indicate changes such as pace, elevation, heart rate, slope etc. Have a look at steep climbs and very fast intervals directly on the map.
* runtastic Earth View: Watch your workouts in 3D, including mountains, monuments and buildings (free Google Earth App required)
* Heart rate support: runtastic chest strap
* Heart rate zone training and analysis: Choose a heart rate zone to monitor and optimize your training (i.e. fat-burning zone)
* Split table with dynamic mile and kilometer split
* Calorie goal: Set a specific calorie goal and use the voice feedback to reach your workout goal
* Pace goal: Define your favorite pace
* Geotagging: Take pictures during a workout and see these pictures online at your map trace
* Weather and Temperature: Receive live weather information and save weather data automatically after a workout
* Prediction of sunset and sunrise
* Ad free
Features:
* Map your workouts in real-time with built-in GPS and monitor your progress (time, distance, speed, pace, calories, altitude, etc.)
* Personal workout diary and metrics
* Mapping: Detailed live mapping and historic mapping of previous sessions (Google maps)
* Dashboard configuration: Display preferred statistics
* Graphs: Get charts with altitude, pace, speed and heart rate information
* Performance analysis with lap times
* Enjoy your workouts with the integrated music player
* Set goals for time and distance
* Accurate calculation of elevation gain and loss
* Manual entry of workouts: Add treadmill, spinning and weight lifting workouts
* Monthly and overall metrics for distance, number of workouts, duration and calories
* Share your activities on Google+, Facebook and Twitter

You can save all your workouts at runtastic.com. Using the online community you’ll get further analysis, metrics and comparisons to your friends. Additionally, you can choose a training plan and track your body statistics.

Share all your workouts easily with the Google+, Facebook and Twitter connect.

Darrell KSR
10-05-2012, 10:15 AM
Well, after I started I actually gained two pounds pretty quickly after my first 9 miles. But I'm now at 226.8, which is down from the 232.0, and I'm happy with that.

More walking today. When I get to 220, I'll start light jogging.

uklandrn
12-11-2012, 11:28 AM
I need to start running. I ran for basketball and ran cross country in high school. Lots of my co-workers run - and they love it - but I was always one of the people who ran because I had to. 20 years ago I could run all day - I just wasn't that fast. I had great endurance. Now I get tired getting out of bed! (lol) I have gained an enormous amount of weight since January - and I truly feel disgusted with myself. No one can do this but me - but night shift, living in a basement room without kitchen access, and lack of motivation keep me from getting up and going. I have been inspired by this thread. Keep up the hard work everyone. I look forward to hearing about your progress.

dethbylt
12-11-2012, 03:29 PM
I need to start running. I ran for basketball and ran cross country in high school. Lots of my co-workers run - and they love it - but I was always one of the people who ran because I had to. 20 years ago I could run all day - I just wasn't that fast. I had great endurance. Now I get tired getting out of bed! (lol) I have gained an enormous amount of weight since January - and I truly feel disgusted with myself. No one can do this but me - but night shift, living in a basement room without kitchen access, and lack of motivation keep me from getting up and going. I have been inspired by this thread. Keep up the hard work everyone. I look forward to hearing about your progress.

The worst part for me is just starting. Dedicate a time before, during, or after work and just start! I am always slow and in pain starting back but the results a few months later make it worth it!

dethbylt
12-11-2012, 03:34 PM
Weighed in at 190 on official scales today. Dropped a couple of pounds despite my best attempt to ruin it with European cuisine.

And imported beer. Dang I like a Dunkel Weiss...

blueboss
12-11-2012, 08:23 PM
I'm 2/3's of the way through the weight gain gauntlet (Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas) I did pick up 3lbs and am now at 238 and expect to be close to 240 by years end. So, here we go again, Jan 1 it starts coming off with exercise and diet and I'm shooting for 215 by Easter and 210 by Derby.

No cry baby surgery excuses this year...God willing.

ladycat92
12-26-2012, 10:34 PM
Back to working out after taking some time off. Using the Tabata protocol to get jumpstarted. I can tell a difference after a week, but dang it kicks my rear. Two more weeks on Tabata before I cycle off to crossfit. Looking to join the bootcamp at the gym up the street from me but waiting until March so that all of the folks with New Year resolutions can join and then drop out. Of course, by then, the weather should be good enough that I may just prefer to be outside vs. early morning at the gym.

ladycat92
12-26-2012, 10:36 PM
BTW - for anyone doing any kind of interval training that requires a timer, I highly recommend getting "HIIT Interval" app for your phone. So much easier than keeping up with a stop watch or purchasing a special timer.

ColonelSteve
01-01-2013, 12:15 PM
This makes sense...weighing yourself every day and posting the results online...if you gain weight you get laughed at and feel like an idiot so it makes you want to keep the weight off

http://deadspin.com/5972345/the-public-humiliation-diet-a-how+to?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Darrell KSR
01-01-2013, 12:32 PM
I will do it if it is weekly. I stunk in 2012 at this, though.

Sent using Forum Runner. All typos excused.

ColonelSteve
01-01-2013, 12:58 PM
I will do it if it is weekly. I stunk in 2012 at this, though.

It's whatever you want, you can do it daily or weekly, it's better to do it daily so you can actually see your progress, it motivates you to continue and lifts up your esteem.

Start whenever you want, just post your weight and what your goal is...I can keep record at the first post or we could just let the thread go as is

ColonelSteve
01-01-2013, 01:06 PM
Also here is an article I found...9 foods that reduce your stress level that'll replace unhealthy sweets

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/9-foods-reduce-stress-levels-145300125.html

KSRdallen
01-01-2013, 03:03 PM
I highly recommend this. I've lost 28 lbs using it. A friend of mine has lost over 40 lbs with it and another friend 25 lbs.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/

blueboss
01-01-2013, 05:39 PM
Okay it starts today, 6'2" 238. I'm on the elliptical starting today/tomorrow and right after I eat these beef short ribs I cooked on the grill and drowned in BBQ sauce I'll start looking at what and when I eat.

I'll get back to you guys a week from Friday.

Darrell KSR
01-02-2013, 06:33 AM
6'0, 233.4. Yech. Plus I'm still eating awful, and made a batch of crockpot chocolate last night.

dethbylt
01-02-2013, 07:32 AM

D/Jazy,

I couldn't agree more with the consistency and the food advice. If the hour works for you, stick with it. 3-5 times a week. When you become comfortable with the routine, work on speeding up the pace - but stick with the schedule. You will be knocking out 5k runs in wellunder 30-40 minutes eventually. On the week days you don't walk, do something for muscular strength. Nothing intense, just concentrate on upper body one day and lower body the next. All the cardio in the world doesn't help much without lean muscle mass.

Stick with it!!!

IMHO, an ipod/iphone/ipad/tablet and music/movie on a treadmill are a distracting replacement for exercising outside. It works for me over the winter.

192 lbs, up 3 from the pre-holiday weight.

Darrell KSR
01-02-2013, 08:41 AM
August 13, 2012
Weight: 229.2
Pounds to go: 19.2

Anybody want to join me?

Well, I managed to gain 4.1 pounds, rather than lose 19.2.

dethbylt
01-02-2013, 01:08 PM
Well, I managed to gain 4.1 pounds, rather than lose 19.2.

Better than gaining 19.2. At the least you acknowledge the goal and how near or far you are from meeting it.

CGWildcat
01-02-2013, 02:59 PM
OK, I'm in....again........embarrased to say but the truth is the truth.....I'm still 5'10 but my weigh in last week at the VA was 298.....2freaking98 yall....wtf has happened to me?????????????????????

Darrell KSR
01-02-2013, 04:34 PM
It's alright, CG...you've got company, and we're in this together.

Let's do this thing.

truecatsfan
01-03-2013, 07:00 PM
Guys if you want a work out that is fun and WILL CHANGE YOUR APPERANCE. Try the video series tapout. My whole familey is doing it and you will see results. It is not easy at all, but it is well worth it.

bigsky
01-04-2013, 12:21 PM
Well I went from 193 to 158. The first 10 were intentional, a program to lose 20 in 2 months. (I lost eighteen but gained 8 back). I did it with south beach and 4X a week 45 minute 800 calorie treadmill mixed with instructor led group exercise 2X a week. Weekly weigh ins. I think you have to have put $ on the line and have constant reinforcement for fitness/fat loss.

The next 25 I can't recommend. I'm up from 158 to 166, all chubbiness I think, so I bought a barely used rowing machine from my wife's club. It uses water. The Docs won't allow me in the health club, too much Petri dish ideal sickness spreading moisture, sweat, heavy breathing, people, etc. I'm not able to stand the zero and below cold enough to run.

So I will report my daily use of the rower once a week for public mocking! Incentives!!!

Darrell KSR
01-09-2013, 09:33 AM
6'0, 233.4. Yech. Plus I'm still eating awful, and made a batch of crockpot chocolate last night.

Amazing that eating badly and no exercise will make you continue to gain weiht.

Darrell KSR
01-09-2013, 01:53 PM
Finished lunch. Backyard burger 1/3rd pounder, waffle fries, lemonade, and blackberry cobbler for dessert. The guy asked me if I wanted ice cream with the cobbler, but I told him I'm trying to lose weight. Tough to be disciplined.

blueboss
01-11-2013, 10:54 PM
Okay it starts today, 6'2" 238. I'm on the elliptical starting today/tomorrow and right after I eat these beef short ribs I cooked on the grill and drowned in BBQ sauce I'll start looking at what and when I eat.

I'll get back to you guys a week from Friday.

This morning I weighed in at 236.8 which is promising. I have finally built up enough stamina and gotten my wind to go ten minutes on a gazelle with out fear of a heart attack, by the end of next week I should be in good enough shape to go 20-30 minutes at which point I will be burning calories.

I'll get back to you all next Friday

ladycat92
01-12-2013, 02:04 PM
I started crossfit. Its tough but I'm enjoying it. Its not so hard that its discouraging, but it does push you.

blueboss
01-12-2013, 09:16 PM
Pats Steak House didn't do me any favors last night in the weight loss department.

Darrell KSR
01-13-2013, 12:09 AM
I watched The Music Man the other day, and was noting with interest Professor Harold Hill's "think system" for learning music. You know, you don't have to read music or anything other than think the notes.

I'm doing the same for diet and exercise. Eventually it may work.

CitizenBBN
01-13-2013, 12:41 AM
I watched The Music Man the other day, and was noting with interest Professor Harold Hill's "think system" for learning music. You know, you don't have to read music or anything other than think the notes.

I'm doing the same for diet and exercise. Eventually it may work.

if thinking about diet and exercise worked I'd be invisible if i turned sideways.

KSRdallen
01-17-2013, 05:56 AM
180 lbs this morning down from 212 lbs on June 12, 2012. 6 lbs to go. I really recommend the MyFitnessPal App. It is addicting!

blueboss
01-18-2013, 03:14 PM
This morning I weighed in at 236.8 which is promising. I have finally built up enough stamina and gotten my wind to go ten minutes on a gazelle with out fear of a heart attack, by the end of next week I should be in good enough shape to go 20-30 minutes at which point I will be burning calories.

I'll get back to you all next Friday

235.4, I'm up to 25-30 minutes on the gazelle and I'm on it 5-6 days a week. I usually take Fridays, and Sundays off. Still haven't changed my eating habits "yet" for now concentrating on getting in shape (cardio)

See ya next week..

1/25/13
Well here we are and with 35-40 minutes on the gazelle 5 days a week I'm at 233.8. Still haven't got around to dieting however I am more aware of what and how much I'm eating. For instance after busting my hump on the machine every evening I'm not going to blow it over a giant bowl of ice cream and some cookies, so I settle for maybe a small bowl of ice cream and no cookies or maybe three or four cookies and no ice cream. The hard part is not waking up in the middle of the night and eating a couple Lil Debbie zebra cakes and a glass of milk and going back to bed.

See ya next week.

blueboss
01-25-2013, 03:25 PM
How's everyone else coming along??

Darrell KSR
01-25-2013, 06:52 PM
Just downloaded new app that a friend showed me at practice this week, Lose It!

Easier to use, more likely I will use it. He showed me on his phone first, and it looked so simple I could do it, so I downloaded it. Have my weight input, my goal input, and a realistic 1.5 lbs per week loss input. It is designating my calories and exercise is additional if/when I do.

I know to "ramp up" the calories occasionally and keep the metabolism at a peak, thanks to this group, so I am pumped up about it. No weighing right now, but I will check in about a week, since I'm using this app.

CitizenBBN
01-25-2013, 11:48 PM
180 lbs this morning down from 212 lbs on June 12, 2012. 6 lbs to go. I really recommend the MyFitnessPal App. It is addicting!

Does it reach out and slap the potato chips out of your hand? That's the one I need. It should be called "stop eating you fat bastard".

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

CitizenBBN
01-25-2013, 11:52 PM
How's everyone else coming along??

Depends on if I'm trying to lose weight or get more chins than a Chinese phone book.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

KSRdallen
01-26-2013, 06:46 AM
176. Two pounds from goal.

KSRdallen
01-26-2013, 07:19 AM
A friend of mine is using Lose It and likes it. Any tool that helps you track overall calorie intake and calories burned in exercise is helpful. Good luck, D!

Just downloaded new app that a friend showed me at practice this week, Lose It!

Easier to use, more likely I will use it. He showed me on his phone first, and it looked so simple I could do it, so I downloaded it. Have my weight input, my goal input, and a realistic 1.5 lbs per week loss input. It is designating my calories and exercise is additional if/when I do.

I know to "ramp up" the calories occasionally and keep the metabolism at a peak, thanks to this group, so I am pumped up about it. No weighing right now, but I will check in about a week, since I'm using this app.

ladycat92
01-26-2013, 10:41 AM
Not sure how "Lose it" is any different from myfitnesspal, except that it allows you to put in things like blood pressure as well.

Darrell KSR
01-26-2013, 11:14 AM
Lose it was easy because he was standing next to me showing it. Easy sale that way!

jazyd
01-28-2013, 09:30 AM
This restaurant tomorrow night better not be a healthy place. :)

jazyd
01-28-2013, 09:36 AM
Deer season now over so Icahn start trying again. Fri nite at deer camp this weekend...16 oz ribeye along with new potatoes swimming in butter and about 1/2 pound of grilled shrimp followed by double stuffed Oreos. Honey bun for breakfast, then 6 wings for lunch, and fried speckled trout and fries for dinner and Oreos again. I could barely walk to my stand this weekend. LOL

it is going to be hard cutting back when weekends get here

Darrell KSR
01-29-2013, 07:52 AM

Amazing that eating badly and no exercise will make you continue to gain weight.

230.0 this morning. Have to get my exercising started.

badrose
01-31-2013, 11:57 AM
Finally got to step on scales this morning and I knew I'd lost weight but really didn't know what to expect. I figured it could be anywhere from 175 to 185. It was 185. I need to program the scales to measure BF% and water. I can be satisfied at 185 if I can manage the composition.

Darrell KSR
02-01-2013, 08:39 AM
Originally Posted by Darrell KSR

Amazing that eating badly and no exercise will make you continue to gain weight.

228.2. First full month of 2012, and lost 5.8 pounds, mostly due to calorie watching.

Question -- I know that it has been recommended to occasionally "ramp up" calorie intake as a jump start to the metabolism, or so that the body does not get used to the lower calorie intake as the "norm." (I probably explained that wrong, but I think the general principle is correct).

A friend of mine that had me install the app said that this "Cheat Day," as he called it, should be pretty regularly about once a week--but not for at least two weeks after I get started.

Is that decent advice? Today is Day 9 of being under my allotted calories every day (I probably should have gone for the more aggressive lose 2 pounds per week, but wimped out and went with 1.5 pounds, and tried to stay under). I'm in no rush to have a "Cheat Day," but I just want to do it right.

badrose
02-01-2013, 12:01 PM
Darrell, it is good advice so long as you don't over-cheat. When I was a personal trainer I used to have my weigh-ins on Monday so it would be in the back of their minds during the weekend. Cheat days can benefit not only psychologically, but the body fights weight change so an easily perceived increase in calories will kick your metabolism up a bit. There's a diminished return though.

Darrell KSR
02-01-2013, 12:57 PM
Are you thinking like, 20% over?

Right now, at my body weight, gender, age and weight-goal loss, I am just over 2,000 calories per day. Would a run up to 2,400 calories or so on the "cheat day" be about right? 2400-2500, but not 4,000?

badrose
02-01-2013, 01:59 PM
Maybe even more than that depending on whether you're spreading it out over the day, loading up on a late meal, and where the calories are coming from. What I used to do was go all out on the last meal but make it early enough to take a brisk walk or something afterward. Once a week.

A related story: The night UK beat UMass back in '96 we went out to a sports bar and got there early. I didn't hold back but started getting coffee at desert time and the waitress must have filled me up six or seven times. It was SUPPOSED to be decaf was it turned out to be regular (the waitress said she thought I said caffeinated. I mean who does that?) Any way, I was so hyped between the game and the caffeine I did pushups and situps until 3 or 4 in the morning. That's extreme, but if you really want to make a change in your body's composition you need real dedication and most likely someone who can hold you accountable and that requires a degree of two-way honesty.

blueboss
02-01-2013, 09:21 PM
235.4, I'm up to 25-30 minutes on the gazelle and I'm on it 5-6 days a week. I usually take Fridays, and Sundays off. Still haven't changed my eating habits "yet" for now concentrating on getting in shape (cardio)

See ya next week..

1/25/13
Well here we are and with 35-40 minutes on the gazelle 5 days a week I'm at 233.8. Still haven't got around to dieting however I am more aware of what and how much I'm eating. For instance after busting my hump on the machine every evening I'm not going to blow it over a giant bowl of ice cream and some cookies, so I settle for maybe a small bowl of ice cream and no cookies or maybe three or four cookies and no ice cream. The hard part is not waking up in the middle of the night and eating a couple Lil Debbie zebra cakes and a glass of milk and going back to bed.

See ya next week.

2-1-2013

First full month of exercise but still haven't started the dieting part, weighed in today at 232.0. I'm going to keep plugging away 1-2 lbs/week for now. I think in a couple of weeks when lent starts and I eliminate sweets I'll probably lose a little more weekly. Here we go February.

Darrell KSR
02-01-2013, 11:53 PM
Just got home from 3-1/2 hrs of basketball. I'm not exercising yet, but hoping coaching 2 practices a week and playing occasionallly is doing something. Gotta try to do this more often.

Of course, as out of shape as I am, I will probably regret everything I'm saying tomorrow.

KSRdallen
02-04-2013, 09:05 AM
175. I seem to have hit a plateau. Revised goal - 172.

badrose
02-04-2013, 09:50 AM
183.2lb BF% is in the upper 20's. I'd like to get that around 18 or 19 while maintaining my current weight.

Darrell KSR
02-04-2013, 02:40 PM
176. Two pounds from goal.

2 pounds from goal. That's disgusting. Then you meet your goal (1 lb away is meeting it, to me), and revise it? You need to be slapped silly.

I've been under my calorie requirement for 11 consecutive days, which is designed to have me lose 1.5 lbs per week. I know they tell you not to weigh daily, but I have weighed daily, and lost weight on 9 of 11 days, gained weight on 2 days. I won't freak out about it, but it is interesting to watch. Both days I gained weight were on Sunday morning after going out to eat Saturday night. First time I ate at a Mexican restaurant, and I know the food had a lot of sodium in it. Second Saturday night we went to Jim-N-Nicks and I was good and had their smoked turkey plate (and only 1 cheese biscuit, although we had 3 bowls for the table--sigh.) Also had their onion rings, which were a lot better than their french fries, but in retrospect, that meal may have had more sodium than I'm used to having, too.

Going to a "Mardi Gras Ball" Saturday night and will have a taste of New Orleans buffet. That's my first planned "cheat day," as it will be day 17 on this counting calories diet, and I hope, 16 consecutive days of sticking to or under the budget.

CGWildcat
02-04-2013, 09:16 PM
301 today. nurse sat and discussed heart attacks with me.:sAng_banghead2:

KSRdallen
02-07-2013, 09:28 AM
Almost afraid to post this in fear of being slapped. :) Met new goal - 172 pounds this AM.

Darrell KSR
02-08-2013, 05:57 PM
Almost afraid to post this in fear of being slapped. :) Met new goal - 172 pounds this AM.

Well, if I wasn't feeling good, I'd suggest that would be the proper course of conduct. But kudos for meeting the new goal. Maintain!

Jan 1, 2013 Post

January 29, 2013 post

February 1, 2013 post

February 8, 2013:

Down 8.8 pounds since the beginning of the year. Today is Day 16 (or is it 17?) of being under my allotted calories; tomorrow will be the day I ramp up a bit. May hit McDonald's for breakfast, even. Have had only one fast food meal (that's TOUGH for me) in almost 3 weeks, and watched it carefully.

blueboss
02-08-2013, 08:44 PM
2-1-2013

First full month of exercise but still haven't started the dieting part, weighed in today at 232.0. I'm going to keep plugging away 1-2 lbs/week for now. I think in a couple of weeks when lent starts and I eliminate sweets I'll probably lose a little more weekly. Here we go February.

2-8-2013

I finally got out of the 30's and weighed in at 229, still on the same exercise regiment and have yet to start the dieting. Lent starts next Wednesday which means for me no more sweets until Easter Sunday.

Darrell KSR
02-21-2013, 09:28 AM
Jan 1, 2013 Post

January 29, 2013 post

February 1, 2013 post

February 8, 2013:

February 21, 2013:

Getting slower, but direction still correct. Need to integrate exercise. Ridiculous that I haven't.

Down 10.2 pounds since January 1.

blueboss
02-21-2013, 08:51 PM
2-8-2013

I finally got out of the 30's and weighed in at 229, still on the same exercise regiment and have yet to start the dieting. Lent starts next Wednesday which means for me no more sweets until Easter Sunday.

February 21, 2013:

Getting slower, but direction still correct. Need to integrate exercise. Ridiculous that I haven't.

Down 10.2 pounds since January 1.

I'm just the opposite Darrell and have yet to start dieting and I'm going at it with exercise. I have started fasting from sweets for lent since last Wednesday but I'm kind of in a slow down mode and have been teetering between 228 and 229 which oddly is about the same loss of around 10-11 lbs since 1-1-2013.

Darrell KSR
02-26-2013, 11:31 AM
Jan 1, 2013
234.0. Ground 0.

January 29, 2013
230.0. -4.0 lbs.

February 1, 2013
228.2 -5.8 lbs.

February 8, 2013:
225.2 -8.8 lbs.

February 21, 2013:
223.8 -10.2 lbs.

February 26, 2013:
221.4 -12.6 lbs.

blueboss
03-01-2013, 12:44 PM
I'm just the opposite Darrell and have yet to start dieting and I'm going at it with exercise. I have started fasting from sweets for lent since last Wednesday but I'm kind of in a slow down mode and have been teetering between 228 and 229 which oddly is about the same loss of around 10-11 lbs since 1-1-2013.

3/1/2013

Still 6' 2" and weighing in at 226.4

Darrell KSR
03-01-2013, 07:32 PM
Jan 1, 2013
234.0. Ground 0.

January 29, 2013
230.0. -4.0 lbs.

February 1, 2013
228.2 -5.8 lbs.

February 8, 2013:
225.2 -8.8 lbs.

February 21, 2013:
223.8 -10.2 lbs.

February 26, 2013:
221.4 -12.6 lbs.

March 1, 2013:
220.8 -13.2 lbs.

Time to start exercising.

Darrell KSR
03-06-2013, 08:27 AM
Jan 1, 2013
234.0. Ground 0.

January 29, 2013
230.0. -4.0 lbs.

February 1, 2013
228.2 -5.8 lbs.

February 8, 2013:
225.2 -8.8 lbs.

February 21, 2013:
223.8 -10.2 lbs.

February 26, 2013:
221.4 -12.6 lbs.

March 1, 2013:
220.8 -13.2 lbs.

March 6, 2013:
220.0 -14.0 lbs. Begged the scale to get me under 220 today. It didn't listen.

KSRdallen
03-06-2013, 12:17 PM
5 weeks after goal attainment and still using MyFitnessPal still maintaining goal weight of 172. I think continued use of this crutch (the App) is going to be in order. I'm not confident I can manage this on my own yet! We'll see.

D, congrats on the 14 pounds!

jazyd
03-06-2013, 09:27 PM
Congrats all on the weight loss but more important getting in shape.

I gotta start something. When I get ready it seems that day my back acts up or it turns cold. Back hurts a lot lately from those two ruptured discs. Must start walking and cut the calories.

badrose
03-07-2013, 02:49 PM
Went back to Charlotte today to pick up some stuff I had in storage including some old clothes. Most of the jeans I wore 20 years ago I just tried on and can wear again now. Thirty-two inch waister's, but a couple are a little snug. Ya gotta understand; this time last year I was wearing 36-38 inch waists.

blueboss
03-08-2013, 11:47 PM
3/1/2013

Still 6' 2" and weighing in at 226.4

3/8/2013

Darrell KSR
03-12-2013, 04:28 PM
Jan 1, 2013
234.0. Ground 0.

January 29, 2013
230.0. -4.0 lbs.

February 1, 2013
228.2 -5.8 lbs.

February 8, 2013:
225.2 -8.8 lbs.

February 21, 2013:
223.8 -10.2 lbs.

February 26, 2013:
221.4 -12.6 lbs.

March 1, 2013:
220.8 -13.2 lbs.

March 6, 2013:

March 12, 2013:

217.6 -16.4 lbs.

jazyd
03-12-2013, 04:32 PM
WEll, I started my walking again last night, went further than I expected but listening to pandora on the cell phone helped. I must get this weight off for my backs sake, it has really bothered me the last two weeks and I need to get it off so those two ruptured discs can calm down some, plus doing my stretching exercises again. Do those two and cut my calories and ic an get it off.

blueboss
03-12-2013, 09:09 PM
I've stalled a little bit. I got a bad case of the Ohio River Valley crud and had to stop the daily cardio until my head and chest cleared so I could breath. I had to be careful so this junk wouldn't turn in to pneumonia. I continued to lose one to two pounds per week but not being able to exercise for two weeks might be catching up. I started exercise again yesterday so we'll see on Friday (weigh in day), I might have to think about diet to continue dropping lbs.

jazyd
03-13-2013, 10:09 AM
Boss I might be wrong but as you exercise more you build muscle which weighs more than fat so at some point you have to do some type of calorie watching
My problem is I watch calories...going into my mouth

ladycat92
03-13-2013, 06:00 PM
Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat. A pound is a pound. Muscle is more dense, so for example 2 lbs of muscle may take up the same space as 1 lb of fat.

blueboss
03-13-2013, 08:52 PM
I thought muscle ate fat? I am sort of dieting as I've given up sweets for lent which in my mind includes all that is good including cookies, cakes, pies, pastries, ice cream, candy, and popsicles. so my fat and calorie intake has been diminished but I'm still eating pretty well.

I have never been a big breakfast guy I usually just eat some fruit (apple) for lunch a granola bar and an orange or pineapple, and then for dinner I eat whatever I want, for instance tonight we had lasagna a salad and garlic bread. I've been knocking off about 1-2 lbs/week on this regiment since jan 1. The exercise is cardio so I can burn calories, sweat a lot and get in shape as far as breathing and stamina. I feel pretty good and the fusion in my neck was successful and I've got good mobility with no pain. Left thumb and forefinger are still a bit tingly from the extended pressure on cervical cord and DR released me.

jazyd
03-13-2013, 11:05 PM
Walked again tonight, same 3/4 mile but my back was really hurting so the pace wasn't very good. Just gotta get with it

Darrell KSR
03-14-2013, 08:10 AM
Walked again tonight, same 3/4 mile but my back was really hurting so the pace wasn't very good. Just gotta get with it

It's a great start. I still haven't, but will.

jazyd
03-15-2013, 09:55 PM
Walked again tonight, all 5 nights, good start for me

blueboss
03-15-2013, 10:14 PM
Walked again tonight, all 5 nights, good start for me

Hang tuff

blueboss
03-22-2013, 07:14 PM
3/8/2013

3/22/2013

Darrell KSR
03-22-2013, 10:14 PM
Will weigh in the morning, but my "tentative" weighs have been bad since I went to the SEC tournament. I don't get it; still religiously keeping track of calories, staying under 6 days of the week, going over one day but staying under for the week. This week I walked 3-1/2 miles one day while my son was at soccer practice, I rode bikes with my son one day, and have played basketball with him.

Yet my weigh-in tomorrow will be up, rather than down.

Friday and Saturday of last week I ate like crap, but nothing else has changed--EXCEPT--my water intake went down. For about 7 or 8 days, at least, I have not been good about drinking water. I have an 18-ounce thermos bottle that I put ice in and drink water in it, refilling it all day--or at least, I have been. That's the only thing that has changed, and I started back on that yesterday.

Could that be it?

Weigh-in tomorrow will not be good.

jazyd
03-23-2013, 01:10 AM
How do you know it will be up

I did manage to lose 3 this week

badrose
03-23-2013, 09:21 AM
Something that may be of use to some of you who struggle with appetite control. The biggest thing that helped me this time around besides being more active is that I drink a Starbucks Double Shot Energy every morning. It has 12g of protein and it's loaded with B vitamins; 200 calories in total. If I have one by 8AM I won't even think about eating until around 4 or 5PM. That's not to say I won't eat but I'm in control, no binging.

Darrell KSR
03-23-2013, 10:08 AM
Jan 1, 2013
234.0. Ground 0.

January 29, 2013
230.0. -4.0 lbs.

February 1, 2013
228.2 -5.8 lbs.

February 8, 2013:
225.2 -8.8 lbs.

February 21, 2013:
223.8 -10.2 lbs.

February 26, 2013:
221.4 -12.6 lbs.

March 1, 2013:
220.8 -13.2 lbs.

March 6, 2013:

March 12, 2013:
217.6 -16.4 lbs

March 23, 2013:
219.0 - 15.0 lbs, but up 1.4 lbs in 11 days.

Off on my 450 mile trip. You baseball guys, make sure to pull the Cats through--I'll be listening when I can.

Darrell KSR
03-23-2013, 10:10 AM
How do you know it will be up

I did manage to lose 3 this week

Felt heavier. Dumb, but usually right.

Great on the losing 3 and walking. Your walking inspired me this week to do the same.

ladycat92
03-23-2013, 03:50 PM
D - you may be hitting a small plateau. If you are, they usually last 2-3 weeks, so don't get discouraged. Also, even if you are controlling your calories, the food you eat will impact water retention. I have to think that at the tourney and on these long trips you may be controlling cals, but my guess is you are having high sodium / high carb food. If so, they will cause you to retain water, thus impacting your weight. For instance, I make beef and broccoli once a week. Normal portion with a half cup of rice comes in about 400 cals which I can control. BUT the combo of sodium from the soy and the carbs from the rice guarantee I will weigh more the next day. I don't even bother to weigh the day after I eat it. Same goes for when I eat pasta.

Darrell KSR
03-23-2013, 09:40 PM
Thanks, LC. That makes sense. I will tell you, it was a little disheartening.

blueboss
03-29-2013, 04:10 PM
Well, I finally made it back to my teens!!! I'm a teener !!!

Now if I can keep it up with lent ending on Sunday and sweets back on my table.

badrose
04-02-2013, 09:21 AM
183.2lb BF% is in the upper 20's. I'd like to get that around 18 or 19 while maintaining my current weight.

179.0 lb

KSRdallen
04-02-2013, 07:57 PM
173#. Have maintained 172-174 for 2 months now. Still using the iPhone App to help me watch caloric intake closely.

Darrell KSR
04-04-2013, 07:41 AM
Jan 1, 2013 234.0. Ground 0.

January 29, 2013 230.0. -4.0 lbs.

February 1, 2013 228.2 -5.8 lbs.

February 8, 2013: 225.2 -8.8 lbs.

February 21, 2013: 223.8 -10.2 lbs.

February 26, 2013: 221.4 -12.6 lbs.

March 1, 2013: 220.8 -13.2 lbs.

March 6, 2013: 220.0 -14.0 lbs. Begged the scale to get me under 220 today. It didn't listen.

March 12, 2013: 217.6 -16.4 lbs

March 23, 2013: 219.0 - 15.0 lbs, but up 1.4 lbs in 11 days.

April 4, 2013: 214.8 -19.2 lbs
April 5, 2013: 213.8 -20.2 lbs (I know I shouldn't have weighed today, but couldn't help it as I closed in on the 20 mark, was getting excited about the possibility.)

Darrell KSR
04-05-2013, 07:59 AM
173#. Have maintained 172-174 for 2 months now. Still using the iPhone App to help me watch caloric intake closely.

If I **ever** get down to the weight I should be, I wonder if I will be dedicated enough to continue to use it. I hope so. I think it's a great way to be cognizant of what you eat, and why.

Congrats to you for maintaining. Sometimes you guys that do a better job of being "fitter" don't get the credit that slobs like me get because we get SO out of shape. Just means you've done a great job for even longer.

Darrell KSR
04-05-2013, 08:00 AM
179.0 lb

Super!

Darrell KSR
04-05-2013, 08:01 AM
Well, I finally made it back to my teens!!! I'm a teener !!!

Now if I can keep it up with lent ending on Sunday and sweets back on my table.

Congrats! We are teenagers together!

Darrell KSR
04-05-2013, 08:02 AM
D - you may be hitting a small plateau. If you are, they usually last 2-3 weeks, so don't get discouraged.

You were dead on. I will try not to get discouraged next time it happens. Seems to be dropping again now pretty good. I am also going to try to "time" when I weigh so I do what you say, and avoid weighing after higher sodium or pasta type days.

KSRdallen
04-05-2013, 06:20 PM
Thanks, D. Based on my experience continuing to use the the App makes all the difference. It's like the thing guilts me in not having that dessert or another helping. I'm likely to keep using it.

Congrats and continued good luck to you. Keep it up!

If I **ever** get down to the weight I should be, I wonder if I will be dedicated enough to continue to use it. I hope so. I think it's a great way to be cognizant of what you eat, and why.

Congrats to you for maintaining. Sometimes you guys that do a better job of being "fitter" don't get the credit that slobs like me get because we get SO out of shape. Just means you've done a great job for even longer.

blueboss
04-05-2013, 06:58 PM
Currently 217.6. I went back and looked and my goal was 215 by Easter and 210 by derby. I missed the Easter weigh in by a little bit but I still might make the derby weight. Still all and all I don't think I've been this low for probably 6-7 years when I was on the way up.

This thread has actually helped....I think

Darrell KSR
04-08-2013, 04:47 AM
Currently 217.6. I went back and looked and my goal was 215 by Easter and 210 by derby. I missed the Easter weigh in by a little bit but I still might make the derby weight. Still all and all I don't think I've been this low for probably 6-7 years when I was on the way up.

This thread has actually helped....I think

Nothing wrong with that kind of substantial progress and achievement of goal, it is terrific.

Peer support - or pressure - can be a great motivator. Glad we have this.

badrose
04-16-2013, 08:25 AM
174.6 Man, that was fast!

blueboss
04-16-2013, 09:55 AM
I don't know whats going on whether it be a scale issue or what, but Friday (4-12) i weighed in at 215.8 what seemed to be right in line for how my weight loss has been proceeding. I got on the scale Monday morning and read 220 flat. No way I gained 4+ pounds over the weekend.

Me thinks there might be a scale issue.....Which raises the question of has my weight loss progress been inaccurate this whole time?

Darrell KSR
04-16-2013, 10:08 AM
174.6 Man, that was fast!

Great stuff!

Darrell KSR
04-16-2013, 10:09 AM
I don't know whats going on whether it be a scale issue or what, but Friday (4-12) i weighed in at 215.8 what seemed to be right in line for how my weight loss has been proceeding. I got on the scale Monday morning and read 220 flat. No way I gained 4+ pounds over the weekend.

Me thinks there might be a scale issue.....Which raises the question of has my weight loss progress been inaccurate this whole time?

I think the body is just funny; like LadyCat92 said, sometimes you have some sodium that keeps fluids in, and other things. Weigh again in two days, and see if it is fixed. Nope, you didn't gain 4 pounds over the weekend, though. No way, no how.

Darrell KSR
04-16-2013, 10:10 AM
March 6, 2013: 220.0 -14.0 lbs. Begged the scale to get me under 220 today. It didn't listen.
March 12, 2013: 217.6 -16.4 lbs
March 23, 2013: 219.0 - 15.0 lbs, but up 1.4 lbs in 11 days.
April 4, 2013: 214.8 -19.2 lbs
April 5, 2013: 213.8 -20.2 lbs (I know I shouldn't have weighed today, but couldn't help it as I closed in on the 20 mark, was getting excited about the possibility.)

April 16, 2013: 212.6 -21.4 lbs

Darrell KSR
04-19-2013, 04:32 PM
March 6, 2013: 220.0 -14.0 lbs.
March 12, 2013: 217.6 -16.4 lbs.
March 23, 2013: 219.0 - 15.0 lbs.
April 4, 2013: 214.8 -19.2 lbs.
April 5, 2013: 213.8 -20.2 lbs.
April 16, 2013: 212.6 -21.4 lbs.
April 19, 2013: 211.0 -23.0 lbs.

blueboss
04-19-2013, 08:17 PM
Okay I'm back on track (sort of) after a lost week, I got back on the scale and weighed in at 216.2. I don't know what happened last week but I guess it was the "plateau" that has been referenced above. Maybe by next week I can get to that ever elusive 215 or less. This last 10 lbs of my goal 210 has been slow going compared to the first 25 lbs.

blueboss
04-26-2013, 04:41 PM
I made the elusive number of 215 (sort of) 215.4!! I haven't had time to exercise as much as I was, plus I'm a little burnt out after 4 months. Might take a little break plus I'll be on vacation for a couple of weeks starting next weekend. The dieting not that I have done much will be non-existent while I'm drowning in seafood and such. I tell my self I'll be swimming a lot but I tend to do more floating than actual swimming. Anyhow the final winter weigh in will be next Friday.

badrose
04-28-2013, 12:20 PM
Khalifa ‏@KKAlThani 1h
Diet tip:
1)Get rid of all scales and mirrors
2)Eat what you want
3)Never leave the house
4)Make friends online

akaukswoosh
05-01-2013, 12:40 PM
Started a LC diet Jan. 7 at 6-4, 239 lbs.
I've lost nearly 30 pounds since then and hoping to wind up a 189-lb. thin sexual whip.:winking0011:

Darrell KSR
05-01-2013, 01:35 PM
Started a LC diet Jan. 7 at 6-4, 239 lbs.
I've lost nearly 30 pounds since then and hoping to wind up a 189-lb. thin sexual whip.:winking0011:

Outstanding. Well, maybe except for the thin sexual whip part. No, that's outstanding, too. Just not...wait, how did I get in this conversation, anyway?

My progress continues, but it is a bit sluggish. I hit the 25.0 lb mark today for the first time. So happy to be under 210. Can't wait til I get under the 200 mark. I am sure it has been more than a dozen years, when I used to play softball in a couple of leagues and pickup basketball regularly that I was under that mark.

By the way, I feel so much better already. I walked around a path with 85-feet elevation changes (decent size hills) last night for 2.5 miles. Then played 8v8 soccer for an hour (first time I've ever done that). I got winded occasionally, but nothing too bad. Amazing what happens when you drop some weight. I'm about halfway home (probably not quite halfway, but if I can drop 50 lbs, I'll be ecstatic.)

May 1, 2013: 209.0 -25.0 lbs.

akaukswoosh
05-01-2013, 02:04 PM
Can't wait til I get under the 200 mark.

Same here. Probably haven't been there since the 90s.

jazyd
05-01-2013, 10:52 PM
Darrell how much did that piece of pie help? :)

Darrell KSR
05-01-2013, 11:44 PM
Darrell how much did that piece of pie help? :)

My daily quota is about 1900 calories now. Every week to 10 days, I have a day when I try to go 400-600 or more calories above my quota to "rev up" my metabolism. When I do that, I gain weight for 2 to 3 days, then the weight drops over the next 4 or 5 days more than what I gained.

So....Bright Star Peanut Butter Pie...in addition to being outstanding...really did help. Great company, and outstanding food, and I would make an exception even if it didn't help. But it really did. :)

Sent using Forum Runner.

blueboss
05-03-2013, 09:06 PM
Okay here it is, 215 flat, that tallies out to 24 lbs since 1-1-13 where I was at 239. I was actually at 244 during the x-mas New Years week. I was shooting for 210 by derby and the start of vacation but I'll take it. Curious to see what happens over the next two weeks while on vacation, more than likely won't see a scale until 5-20.

badrose
05-14-2013, 09:32 PM
Check this out:

'Forget BMI, just measure your waist and height' say scientists

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9260091/Forget-BMI-just-measure-your-waist-and-height-say-scientists.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/10054519/Waist-to-height-ratio-more-accurate-than-BMI.html

Darrell KSR
05-24-2013, 07:06 AM

May 24, 2013: 210.4 -23.6 lbs.

Has not been a good month, yet I have followed calorie intake and have walked and mild exercise all month.

badrose
05-24-2013, 07:35 AM

Has not been a good month, yet I have followed calorie intake and have walked and mild exercise all month.

Could be water retention. Do you weigh the same time every day?

Darrell KSR
05-24-2013, 07:40 AM
I do, give or take an hour or so.

Sent using Forum Runner.

badrose
05-24-2013, 09:12 AM
Are you doing any resistance training, weights? Could be added muscle.

Darrell KSR
05-24-2013, 10:14 AM
I think I'm just getting fat(ter).

No, my mild exercising has been walking a pretty tough path (85-feet elevation change), some treadmill work at home and at the gym, playing soccer on a 110-yard field, and some volleyball work). It's mild, and aerobic. Same as I was doing a few weeks ago.

They have a "20-minute" interval workout thing at the cheap gym I belong to I think I'm going to start this afternoon to do something a little different, while keeping the walking.

One thing I learned about myself after getting a decent pedometer that is pretty accurate--I lead a very, very sedentary life unless I do something.

blueboss
05-24-2013, 01:50 PM
This might help you feel better I weighed in when I returned and and I was at 225.2!! I gained 10 lbs in two weeks, but I'm not all that surprised with being on vacation and drowning in seafood and eating all different times of the day and snacking away the night here and there and everywhere.

I figure I'll get back into a light exercise regime and my eating habits will get back to normal and I should be able to get back to 215 in three or four weeks, and then move on to the land of skinny and beyond and shoot for that 210-205 mark by summers end.

Darrell KSR
05-24-2013, 04:30 PM
Well, you had an excuse.

Of course, I'm chomping on an ice cream bar now as an appetizer, had a handful of chips, so even when I am counting the calories, they're bad calories (and I do include these).

blueboss
05-24-2013, 08:37 PM
I was ready for a break, I was getting burned out with exercise after going five/wk since January. The last two lbs came off very slowly to get to 215 so when I get back to it I think my body should respond to the work outs and the calorie burning should go a little more smoothly. I was thinking of taking the Special K challenge to drop a few quick lbs.

I think next week 6-1 I'll ease back into some type of exercise program and start watching the cals

blueboss
06-03-2013, 09:46 PM
5-31-13 222, trying to get going the right way again.

Darrell KSR
06-04-2013, 08:20 AM
an 1, 2013 234.0. Ground 0.
June 3, 2013: 208.6 -25.4 lbs

Gotta do more exercising. Walking about twice a week, will go 3-5 miles when I walk, but no consistency with it. Temporarily a member of two gyms I am not visiting (have a 3-month summer Y membership for kids, will drop that when summer ends).

I have never been one for weights and related things, and I need to do that. My upper body strength is very poor anyway; almost embarrassing. I need a non-embarrassing introduction to weight-lifting or some other type of training to mix in with aerobic conditioning, and that may help speed the pace. As far as eating is concerned--I have been very diligent in adhering to a general scheme, with only very minimal deviation. So exercise is the next thing for sure.

blueboss
06-04-2013, 10:06 PM
Darrell you're doing great 1-2 lbs/ week is ideal or at least it would be for me. I was doing well but I backed off of the exercise regiment and since I wasn't really dieting and just kind of watching my portions coupled with two weeks of an indulgent vacation and dining to excess the lbs started creeping back on.

I bought me a push mower and I'm schlepping grass a couple times a week which is way more physically exerting than the gazelle, the problem is it's only a couple of days a week for an hour or two. I'm getting back on the machine a couple of days a week to compliment the power mowing starting probably this week especially since I have my annual physical in the morning at which time my DR's going to give me a blast of sh&^$ for my weight.

Darrell KSR
06-12-2013, 11:13 AM
Blueboss, I bought a push mower once. Man, that is some kind of workoout. I'd rather do anything than do that, at least in my yard. It's "pretty flat," but Birmingham is hilly, so everything is relative.

I have started going to the gym, doing some light weight-training, and some walking and jogging. Metabolism seems to be going up a bit. This summer we're members of the YMCA, but I also belong to that "$10 a month" gym, which is where I prefer to work out. The weight training is their light 30-minute workout. I do that, and then do 2 miles on the treadmill, and call it good.

Since May 1, I have only lost 2.2 pounds--and 1.8 of that has been in the last 10 days. So the month of May was not good, but June is starting off well; keep your fingers crossed!

Hope your Dr. visit went well--you are on the right track, regardless. Vacation happens! (Well, for most of you...may not get one this year myself.)

January 1, 2013 234.0. Ground 0.
June 3, 2013: 208.6 -25.4 lbs.
June 12, 2013: 206.8 -27.2 lbs.

Darrell KSR
06-15-2013, 10:13 PM
I walked eight and a half miles today including 6 miles while my son was at soccer practice from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. I did not eat very well tonight, however. Maybe it won't be too bad tomorrow.

blueboss
06-21-2013, 09:21 PM
I'm hanging around 222-224 (see cereal post). I had my physical a couple of weeks ago, when my DR walked in the first thing he said was "hey you've lost weight" so I took that as I'm good to go for now. I weighed in at 223 where I've managed to stay without much effort. I still haven't found the motivation to get back to regular exercise and I'm content with cutting the grass a couple of times a week.

Darrell KSR
06-22-2013, 08:03 AM
June 22, 2013: 204.8 -29.2 lbs.

KSRdallen
06-22-2013, 08:30 PM
June 22, 2013. 172.6 lbs. Still maintaining weight +/- 2 lbs. since February 7, 2013 (beginning weight was 212 lbs. on June 12, 2012). I am continuing to exercise 6 days per week and I am still using MyFitnessPal.com app to count all calories (major crutch) but I am pleased with the result despite the crutch.

Darrell KSR
06-23-2013, 08:03 AM
June 22, 2013. 172.6 lbs. Still maintaining weight +/- 2 lbs. since February 7, 2013 (beginning weight was 212 lbs. on June 12, 2012). I am continuing to exercise 6 days per week and I am still using MyFitnessPal.com app to count all calories (major crutch) but I am pleased with the result despite the crutch.
Great.

I am not getting the consistent exercise, but I have not missed a day of recording food intake on the Lose It app. I wish I had started with the My Fitness Pal app, as I think it has more foods in its database, but this one is good enough.

Darrell KSR
07-11-2013, 07:53 AM

July 11, 2013: 203.8 -30.2 lbs. Very slow, only lost 1 lb. in almost 3 weeks.

Month by month weight loss (based on last weigh-in of month):

January - 4
February - 8.6
March - 2.4
April - 8.0
May - 0.6
June - 5.6

blueboss
07-11-2013, 10:56 AM
Good job Darrell, If you contunue to lose the way you've been going you'll have to run around in the shower to get wet, sadly I'm going the other way I'm back to 226 and change. I'm actually going to have to think about getting back on an exercise schedule and start counting calories...again.

Darrell KSR
07-11-2013, 11:53 AM
Well, I am sure that I miss something here or there, but since the 3rd week of January, I have logged everything I have consumed, food or drink, into an app on my phone (or occasionally, on the computer to which it is synced). It is a little of a pain, but what I find s that I don't nibble on snacks and such as much, given that I have to record it. Also makes me watch portion control a little better. I still had a piece of cheesecake last night, but it was about 1/2 the size that I used to eat. I try to eat a little slower when I eat dinner so that my stomach recognizes it is full more quickly.

Of course, I have to be careful to eat sufficiently. If I do not eat enough at dinner, I will snack until I am full later.

I do not go "over" my allotted calories more than 1 day a week. I don't really find it that hard to do. If I go over, then I just don't do that again.

Sadly, I think this will be a lifetime thing for me. I don't see me stopping recording what I eat/drink and me being able to maintain if I ever get to where I need to get (which is still a long way off.) My first goal was to lose 44 pounds, to 190. If/when I reach that, I will modify the goal more.

Darrell KSR
07-11-2013, 11:56 AM
sadly I'm going the other way I'm back to 226 and change. I'm actually going to have to think about getting back on an exercise schedule and start counting calories...again.

You will get it done. You had GREAT progress earlier. You're probably like me--it takes a lot of self-control when things don't happen as rapidly as you'd like. It has been very hard for me to be patient over the years when I have tried, and I tried to make things happen too quickly. I'm not a runner, and I'll get out there, starve myself, and run six miles a day several times a week. The problem with that? I burn myself out too quickly, then I deviate and fall off the wagon, and boom--I'm right back there again.

I still have to fight that. I am frustrated that I have only lost 1 lb in the last 3 weeks.

Darrell KSR
07-20-2013, 08:25 AM
July 11, 2013: 203.8 -30.2 lbs. Very slow, only lost 1 lb. in almost 3 weeks.

Month by month weight loss (based on last weigh-in of month):

January - 4
February - 8.6
March - 2.4
April - 8.0
May - 0.6
June - 5.6

July 20, 2013: 200.6 -33.4 lbs.

Dumb, but my father is coming to see my daughter in a play next weekend and I made a goal to be under 200 when he does. Managed to do more exercise as a result.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forum Runner

Darrell KSR
08-01-2013, 10:14 PM
Probably temporary, but....

Sent using Forum Runner

UKFlounder
08-02-2013, 08:00 AM
Great job Darrell!

I can only wish to ever see numbers like that.

I have actually dropped about 15 pounds over the past few weeks and though I had a couple of bad meals this week, I have done more walking and am overall doing better on my diet than I had in the past.

I doubt I ever get to the 200 lb level, but hopefully I'll keep getting closer. (FYI, I'm 5'9" but don't want to reveal my weight right now, but it is not good.)

jazyd
08-02-2013, 09:52 AM
Uh, whose toes are those, the ones with a ring

QUOTE=Darrell KSR;101617]Probably temporary, but....

Sent using Forum Runner[/QUOTE]

Darrell KSR
08-02-2013, 10:53 AM
Had a friend of mine give me that toe ring when I turned 40 years old. 13 years later, I still have it. Yes, it has been off the toe.

It's a reminder not to take things too seriously. It has been a nice stress reliever at times, too. Just take off my shoe and sock, and look at it. And sometimes I can feel it on the toe.

I like it.

Darrell KSR
08-02-2013, 11:10 AM
Great job Darrell!

I have actually dropped about 15 pounds over the past few weeks and though I had a couple of bad meals this week, I have done more walking and am overall doing better on my diet than I had in the past.

I doubt I ever get to the 200 lb level, but hopefully I'll keep getting closer. (FYI, I'm 5'9" but don't want to reveal my weight right now, but it is not good.)

Thanks, Flounder--you're doing GREAT if you've dropped that much in the last few weeks.

Mine is going very slowly now, and I am behind my goal of 1-1/2 lbs per week. Through 7 months, I have lost 34.6 pounds, so less than 5 pounds per month--overall, that's close enough, I guess, but the rate has slowed considerably.

I've never made it this far before, but I never used an app before, either. For nearly 7 months (I started the 3rd week of January) I have logged daily everything I eat or drink. Sure, I miss things occasionally. But it's the routine, I think, and the awareness, that is keeping it from getting out of hand as it has always done before.

I also thought I'd have to starve myself on a "diet," and that's not the case. If I want a cherry berry chiller, I can have one--but I find it better to buy a medium, at 260 calories, and drink half of it, and put the other half in the freezer for a frozen snack the next day, at 130 calories each.

And the "cheat day" is great. Stay under my allotted calories--the app tells me how much, based on age, weight, how much I want to lose per week, and exercise that day--for 6-9 days at a time, then have a cheat day where I go over the calories intentionally by 20% or more.

Here's how I have suffered--

* Blizzards. Even the smallest blizzards are like 670 calories. That's crazy. Gotta save that for a cheat day for sure.

* Overconsumption of desserts and snacks. I am somewhat embarrassed to say that I could--and have--eaten things like an entire "row" of Girl Scout thin mint cookies. Well, a "serving size" of thin mint cookies is 4 cookies--160 calories. So if I eat an entire row/bag, that's about 20 cookies, or about 800 calories. Yep, have done that before, and I'd say it was common for me to eat a half-bag of 400 calories.

Fig newtons? Same thing, or at least, half a row/bag. At 55 calories per fig newton, you eat two of them, and it's fine at 110 calories. But if you eat 6 of them, which I would do, that's 330 calories, or about what I try to have for breakfast or lunch. And that's a snack.

Beer? Well, I don't do that much anymore anyway, but those kind of calories I'm really watching now because it adds empty calories and slows metabolism.

That's almost it, besides the fact that I am walking, often at night late, and missing The Andy Griffith Show if I have not walked enough steps.

No secrets. Just increasing metabolism through activity (thanks to the pedometer), and being aware of calories consumed. Several here told me about the apps, and I avoided it for a long time before I finally jumped in with it. Should've done that a long time ago.

Then a couple here suggested the "cheat day," and how to do it. They also told me not to try to "starve myself," which I have done in the past with a very, very low calorie day, and why. Some good advice from people on this forum have helped me greatly.

My initial goal was 190. That's still more than I should weigh, but setting a goal of 44 pounds to lose was about all I could stomach (pun intended) without it being completely overwhelming. If/when I make it to 190....I will adjust and set a new goal.

One bite at a time. Just not as many of them as before. One step at a time. Just more of them than before.

MickintheHam
08-02-2013, 08:00 PM
Great job Darrell!

Flounder, Congratulations! I have faith that you will get there. Keep working at it. you can do it!

UKFlounder
08-03-2013, 04:35 PM
Thanks Mick.

I am pleased with my effort so far. I lost about 2 pounds more in the last week and have drastically cut down on my fast old habits. I just need to keep up my efforts but with me feeling so good now, I think that is indeed possible

Darrell KSR
08-03-2013, 11:27 PM
With the walking you are doing, you're not close to finishing losing weight, Flounder. Keep up the good work.

Sent using Forum Runner

jazyd
08-04-2013, 12:05 AM
Good job Flounder, you and might be close in size and it is hard to lose. Take it off slow and steady. I lost 40 several years ago by walking 5 nights a week, cutting sweats...which for me s torture...cutting bread and potatoes and butter. I allowed myself 3 small new potatoes boiled once a week. Of course winter came and out went walking and gained 30 back over the years.

My problem now is the 3 ruptured disc in my low back. I walked a mile tonight and my back starts hurting and then my left leg. When I get back I am hurting so I ice my back.

But the challenge has been thrown down

UOTE=UKFlounder;101851]Thanks Mick.

I am pleased with my effort so far. I lost about 2 pounds more in the last week and have drastically cut down on my fast old habits. I just need to keep up my efforts but with me feeling so good now, I think that is indeed possible[/QUOTE]

Darrell KSR
08-10-2013, 04:10 PM
Slow loss, but 199.0 this morning.

Sent using Forum Runner

UKFlounder
08-10-2013, 06:43 PM
I somehow gained 2 pounds last week, which is a bit puzzling, but it might make me pay more attention to what I eat. I know I had a couple bad meals last week, but enough to gain 2 pounds?

Oh well. It's a temporary setback and maybe I'll learn that an "occasional breakdown" is not good enough

Darrell KSR
08-11-2013, 12:46 PM
I somehow gained 2 pounds last week, which is a bit puzzling, but it might make me pay more attention to what I eat. I know I had a couple bad meals last week, but enough to gain 2 pounds?

Oh well. It's a temporary setback and maybe I'll learn that an "occasional breakdown" is not good enough

I have learned through far too many weigh-ins and with gentle advice from people who are more well versed in fitness than I am that your weight will naturally fluctuate, regardless of what you do. You just look for a downward progression over a long term.

Sent using Forum Runner

UKFlounder
08-11-2013, 01:06 PM
I did just start taking some medicine and last week was just the 2nd week I was on it, so I think my body may be adjusting to it. My scale this weekend seems to be showing better number, but I need not to check it so often that I become obsessed with it instead of the process.

I am happy with my efforts and am trying to work on keeping the right attitude evn if (when) I am not perfect. If I can stayositive, I will have a better shot of doing well

blueboss
08-15-2013, 09:30 PM
I'm still hanging around that 228 by just normal summer activities, but I feel like I need to start thinking about getting back to the 220 mark coming up on fall followed by the eating season.

Darrell KSR
09-05-2013, 09:58 PM
July 11, 2013: 203.8 -30.2 lbs.
August 10, 2013: 199.0 - 35.0 lbs.
September 2, 2013: 199.4 - 34.6 lbs.
September 7, 2013: 198.8 - 35.2 lbs.

EDIT: Wasn't going to weigh, but figured I would before I headed to Kentucky/Tennessee today. Glad it went back the right way. Really slow getting to 190, which is my first goal. I will reassess if/when I reach it (more needed, but that was my first goal.)

AshCat
09-06-2013, 10:10 PM
Guess since I've got involved in the other exercise thread I should get involved in this one as well. Been pretty much running between 205-210 all year long. Have grossly failed at my year long goal. Thanksgiving weekend will be 30 year wedding anniversary. My goal was to be in best shape of my life this year (cardio, running, exercise wise). Couple of years ago 2010 got back down to 190 and was running/exercising pretty regularly and ran the 4th July 10K for 3rd time. 1st was 2003, 2nd 2008 and got better each time though not great by true runners standards. Last time was 57:?? so for a 50 year old I thought it was respectable.

Hope getting involved here will spur me on to step it up the rest of they year. Can't get where I'd hoped to but maybe back into the mid 190's and running/exercising regularly again. Haven't ran since vacation week early July. Have had a good last 2-3 weeks. Have dripped from around 210 a few weeks back to 205 today.

jazyd
09-06-2013, 10:54 PM
Ash, sometimes we just need some challenges with motivation along with companionship. I envision walking with each here and trying to stay up with each of you.

5 years ago I lost 40# before my first granddaughter was born by watching how much I ate and walking 3 miles a nite 4 times a week. Got down to 223 with a bigger goal. Then winter set in. Deer season came. Quit walking and slowing went back up to 256 this summer. I am way over weight and would love to see 180 again. So far since we started the steps I have lost 13. Good start but long way to go

AshCat
09-08-2013, 09:43 PM
Didn't go back and read through all of this thread so don't know if there has been much discussion about diet plans, exercise, eating habits, etc... I suspect there are several on here who are in the 40+ age range. If you are in the 40+ age group there's a really good book I would recommend. "Younger Next Year". Gets pretty in depth about how important eating right is (not dieting) but changing your eating habits for the long term. Nothing earth shattering about that other than it backs up the reasons why you should cut way back on on starches and sugars. The other big thing it promotes is exercise. Says the older you get the more important exercise is. Recommends exercising at least 30-minutes a day 5 days a week.

Has followed this up with a new book called "Thinner This Year". I've just started reading it. Goes even deeper into the scientific's to back up it's recommendations. Just thought I'd through this out there for any one interested.

UKFlounder
09-09-2013, 12:32 PM
Good stuff

I just turned 40 this year.

Right now, I am down about 22 pounds since early June. It has abeen about the same for a week or so now, as I had a couple of bad meals last week & over Labor Day weekend, but the good news is today I am wearing another shirt that was too tight & uncomfortable for me the last time I tried it.

I really want to lose 3 more pounds soon to get the 2nd digit in my weight to a lower number. That will make me feel good.

I have been mostly eating better. I do well for lunch at work, but still have some issues at home occasionally, though I am eating much less and healthier than earlier in the year. I just wish these #@%@ pizza places would stop having such tempting sales. That's one weakness for me, though, again, in the past I sometimes I had a couple pizzas per week. Now if I have one, I feel disappointed, so I'm working on it. :)

jazyd
09-09-2013, 01:50 PM
Flounder, that is great, doing this now at 40 will help you a ton. Don't wait like I have done until you are past 60, much harder to accomplish as it takes more work to get it off and less to put it on.
I have found you can still eat what you want, just do it in moderation, have a piece of pizza each week, just not the whole thing. Saturday we had pizza for our employees, I stopped at two small pieces. The other thing is to keep up the exercise program, that not only gets the weight off or maintains your weight but the heart and lung benefits are wonderful.
Nice to wear certain clothes again, I tried on a size down in some jeans this weekend and could button them. YES!!!! lol. I gave up a box of clothes today for a good cause, no sense tempting me in the future.

Good stuff

I just turned 40 this year.

Right now, I am down about 22 pounds since early June. It has abeen about the same for a week or so now, as I had a couple of bad meals last week & over Labor Day weekend, but the good news is today I am wearing another shirt that was too tight & uncomfortable for me the last time I tried it.

I really want to lose 3 more pounds soon to get the 2nd digit in my weight to a lower number. That will make me feel good.

I have been mostly eating better. I do well for lunch at work, but still have some issues at home occasionally, though I am eating much less and healthier than earlier in the year. I just wish these #@%@ pizza places would stop having such tempting sales. That's one weakness for me, though, again, in the past I sometimes I had a couple pizzas per week. Now if I have one, I feel disappointed, so I'm working on it. :)

UKFlounder
09-09-2013, 02:20 PM
I have had some good luck with portion control, though not this last week. Order a medium and only eating part of it instead of the whole thing or half of a large is something I have done.

Also, after I eat my first serving, I sometimes just put the rest in the refrigerator where it a bit out of site. Plus I don't like cold pizza a lot even if microwaves, so that sometimes works out just as well as throwing it away.

Darrell KSR
09-12-2013, 08:29 PM
September 12, 2013: 197.2 - 36.8 lbs.

jazyd
09-12-2013, 10:39 PM
Good job Darrell even though your steps are down you have lost another 2 #. I have lost 15 since first of July but I didnt really put my mind to it until first of Aug when Darrrell and Mick started with the pedometer. At a plateau right now for a few days then will drop a few more. Long way to go. I ate hunger pains and miss my ice cream

UKFlounder
09-14-2013, 07:22 PM
Reached a goal today - down 25 pounds (actually 25.5), and my weight dropped down enough to lower the middle digit down a level to one I had not seen for quite a while

Darrell KSR
09-15-2013, 10:11 AM
Reached a goal today - down 25 pounds (actually 25.5), and my weight dropped down enough to lower the middle digit down a level to one I had not seen for quite a while

Huge accomplishment, congratulations!

Sent using Forum Runner

blueboss
09-18-2013, 07:23 PM
You boys are doing great, I'm hanging at 228-226 without doing much including very little exercise just enough to keep me in decent cardio shape. As the summer winds down and my outdoor activities dwindle I'll add more exercise to keep me level through the eating season.

blueboss
09-18-2013, 07:25 PM
Good job Darrell even though your steps are down you have lost another 2 #. I have lost 15 since first of July but I didnt really put my mind to it until first of Aug when Darrrell and Mick started with the pedometer. At a plateau right now for a few days then will drop a few more. Long way to go. I ate hunger pains and miss my ice cream

Sherbet has 0 fat and is pretty low in calories, I think 1/4 cup is 120 calories, I know it's not a big-ole-bowl of your favorite Blue Bell flavor but it's a nice treat from time to time.

Darrell KSR
11-12-2013, 11:25 AM
Novemer 12, 2013: 201.8 - 32.2 lbs.

Have gained 4.6 pounds in 2 months. Have been horribly sedentary; actually pleased that it is only at that. My steps are WAY down, usually under 5,000 steps for the day, and I have been hit-or-miss with food intake.

Back on the wagon. Not that down with this. Looking to hit 190 before 2014.

Darrell KSR
07-14-2018, 09:29 PM
Novemer 12, 2013: 201.8 - 32.2 lbs.

Have gained 4.6 pounds in 2 months. Have been horribly sedentary; actually pleased that it is only at that. My steps are WAY down, usually under 5,000 steps for the day, and I have been hit-or-miss with food intake.

Back on the wagon. Not that down with this. Looking to hit 190 before 2014.September 12, 2013.