PDA

View Full Version : Spinal Chord Injury Breakthrough at Duh Ville

PedroDaGr8
04-08-2014, 10:25 AM
Very awesome research. TL;DR version:

The researchers are applying electrical stimulation to the spinal chord in order to study the neural pathways. Turns out, during stimulation, the patient regains voluntary function of one set of muscles (i.e. left leg, right leg, torso). Two of the patients are even able to do situps. While it can't help them walk, it does allow them to regain a much better quality of life.

Even though he can't walk, the stimulator has had other benefits.

Dustin Shillcox, the fourth patient to try the device, said he has dramatically improved bladder, bowel and sexual function.

"That's a difficult thing to go through life not having," he said. "It just changed my entire life. It's extraordinary and amazing."

Plus, tests showed the patients, who could finally move their legs and torsos after years of paralysis, became healthier in general with improved heart and respiratory function.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/08/health/paralysis-breakthrough-spinal-cord/

CitizenBBN
04-08-2014, 09:55 PM
Very cool stuff.

blueboss
04-11-2014, 08:21 PM
Not to make light of the miraculous medical breakthrough, but when I read the thread title I thought perhaps Pitino or Pitrino had received a spine transplant or something and were no longer spineless lap dogs lying at the feet of Jurich.