PDA

View Full Version : So the internet is pretty cool....my daughter's 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Darrell KSR
03-24-2014, 10:06 AM
My son is a great kid. His twin sister is in Nashville visiting my oldest and just playing on spring break, and left her Jeep here. (She and her roommate went together, rode in her car).

So my son decides he'll drive her Jeep to work Sunday, and fill her tank up with gas. (He always has money; she's always broke).

He drives it to Walmart and goes in to get something before work. Locks the car. But locks it using the door locks, rather than the key (or something like that). Anyway, it activates the anti-theft system, so when he opens the car again, the flashers go off, and the car won't start. Only way it can be deactivated is with the remote control--which, of course, is in Nashville. (He only has a spare key).

So I research, and find on Youtube a video of a guy with the same car and the same issue. He takes a spare key, puts it in the passenger door, clicks it forward and leaves it there. Inserts a 2nd key into the ignition, and it dutifully starts right up.

So I head to Walmart with two keys, insert one into the passenger door, turn it forward, insert a 2nd key into the ignition--Vroom, starts right up.

Hope the thieves don't watch the same Youtube video :).

Darrell KSR
03-24-2014, 10:16 AM
Here's the video. Her jeep looks a lot better than this one, but it worked just the same!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAXDkRGTH-A

dan_bgblue
03-24-2014, 10:47 AM
That is pretty dang cool. Once the vehicle started, could you remove the key from the passenger door lock and the vehicle remain running? Also did this break the alarm cycle for good, or until he does the same thing again?

Darrell KSR
03-24-2014, 11:01 AM
Yep, could remove it from the passenger door just fine--it's not locked in there or anything.

We did the same thing after we got it home, and the alarm reset, and it worked again. I don't know why we push our luck, but my daughter is coming home today anyway, so we figured that with it home, the worst we would have to wait is one more day.

I don't know how people figure out things like this, but I'm glad they did.