PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here rooted their Samsung Galaxy S4?

Darrell KSR
03-20-2014, 11:35 AM
I wasn't going to even think about it, since I had plenty of space--a 16gb internal card (only about 9gb of true space, though due to OS/etc.) and an external card--I had an 8gb one, bought a 16gb to replace it just for plenty of space.

It has worked great. I have downloaded dozens of TV shows (video is very space eating) that I watch at my leisure, sometimes for 5 minutes at a time.

Now, with the Kitkat upgrade, I find my TV app can't write to the SD card--it has to write to the internal SD card instead, which has very little space available. I can move the videos from the internal card to the external card, then move them back, but the problem there is that the videos are not labeled, "Blacklist episode March 10; True Detective episode 5; etc." Instead, I get numbers that have no relation to the shows, and are not in any way identifiable to the show.

So I can still "use" it, but it's cumbersome and non-specific. I won't be able to download 8gb of TV shows and movies to the card, then move "the" show I want to watch because I won't know what it is.

So there is an app called SDFix that apparently fixes the KitKat issue. But it requires Root access.

Before I engage in activities that might brick my phone; wanted to see if anybody here has done it before. For what it is worth, I rooted my old G2 phone, and it did great, and was relatively easy, even for a techno-novice like me. So I have done it. I just don't WANT to do it if there's some issue or possibility of bricking.

(Oh--and I know the KitKat issue isn't a "problem," but a design implementation to protect against access. But I'm very careful with the apps I load on the phone and keep the antivirus up to date, etc. It's worth it to me.)

PedroDaGr8
03-20-2014, 04:49 PM
I wasn't going to even think about it, since I had plenty of space--a 16gb internal card (only about 9gb of true space, though due to OS/etc.) and an external card--I had an 8gb one, bought a 16gb to replace it just for plenty of space.

It has worked great. I have downloaded dozens of TV shows (video is very space eating) that I watch at my leisure, sometimes for 5 minutes at a time.

Now, with the Kitkat upgrade, I find my TV app can't write to the SD card--it has to write to the internal SD card instead, which has very little space available. I can move the videos from the internal card to the external card, then move them back, but the problem there is that the videos are not labeled, "Blacklist episode March 10; True Detective episode 5; etc." Instead, I get numbers that have no relation to the shows, and are not in any way identifiable to the show.

So I can still "use" it, but it's cumbersome and non-specific. I won't be able to download 8gb of TV shows and movies to the card, then move "the" show I want to watch because I won't know what it is.

So there is an app called SDFix that apparently fixes the KitKat issue. But it requires Root access.

Before I engage in activities that might brick my phone; wanted to see if anybody here has done it before. For what it is worth, I rooted my old G2 phone, and it did great, and was relatively easy, even for a techno-novice like me. So I have done it. I just don't WANT to do it if there's some issue or possibility of bricking.

(Oh--and I know the KitKat issue isn't a "problem," but a design implementation to protect against access. But I'm very careful with the apps I load on the phone and keep the antivirus up to date, etc. It's worth it to me.)

Check xda-developers.com it's a forum dedicated to stuff like this. Find the right sub-forum for your device. In there you will likely find at least one how-to thread. I'm kinda busy at work right now otherwise I'd find the thread for you.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

CitizenBBN
03-20-2014, 06:03 PM
Not sure which is more confounding to me, that Darrell hacked a phone and didn't create a rip in space/time, or that people in California work. In all the commercials it's rich beautiful people hanging out at resorts. i was about to pack up, but if there's work involved... ;)

I haven't yet D, but I'm thinking about it. I'm having trouble with a couple of things, and if root access is the way to fix it I will, but haven't done it yet.