PDA

View Full Version : Mr. "Dead Girl or a Live Boy" is running for Congress

Darrell KSR
03-18-2014, 04:54 PM
Sorry to link the NPR story here, but it had the best picture of his bride that I saw quickly :).

86 year old "Silver Fox" and his 35 year old wife.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/03/17/290920275/former-louisiana-gov-edwin-edwards-is-running-for-congress

I grew up in Louisiana during his heyday, and oh, boy, what a character he is/was. Corrupt. Cynical. Colorful. Creative. Crooked.

I was in law school when he uttered this statement:

"The only way I can lose this election is if I’m caught in bed with either a dead girl or a live boy."

During the campaign where he was running against David Duke, Edwards' campaign promulgated bumper stickers that said, "Vote for the Crook. It's important."

He's a guy who knows who he is, and his schtick used to play in Louisiana. I'm guessing it still does.

jazyd
03-19-2014, 02:06 AM
85 with 35 yr old attractive wife and he fathers a child. Impressive, Cajuns will vote him in

suncat05
03-19-2014, 07:34 AM
I wonder if he's related to any of the Tuttle's?

Darrell KSR
03-19-2014, 09:29 AM
Lol.

via mobile app

MickintheHam
03-19-2014, 02:14 PM
I had a car pool mate back in the late 80s and early 90s who had been our company's representative in Baton Rouge. His only job was to grease the way to the State Capitol Bldg. He also helped to administer our Louisiana PAC. I can't repeat all the stories that were told in the automobile, but let's just say anything you have heard about the Guvnah is not only likely to be true, but more outlandish than the tale as being told. Nothing with Edwin was myth or legend. It was all true. Every detail.

Darrell KSR
03-19-2014, 02:18 PM
I had a car pool mate back in the late 80s and early 90s who had been our company's representative in Baton Rouge. His only job was to grease the way to the State Capitol Bldg. He also helped to administer our Louisiana PAC. I can't repeat all the stories that were told in the automobile, but let's just say anything you have heard about the Guvnah is not only likely to be true, but more outlandish than the tale as being told. Nothing with Edwin was myth or legend. It was all true. Every detail.

Oh, my.

I had no insight into anything that wasn't public, but there seemed to be enough public to fill a few volumes. I can only imagine someone who knew their way around Baton Rouge.

CitizenBBN
03-19-2014, 03:19 PM
That's a great line. Really wrong, and brilliant.

Darrell KSR
03-19-2014, 04:21 PM
That's a great line. Really wrong, and brilliant.

He had a ton of them. A few I remember (mostly)--

Against Dave Treen (same election campaign when I was in law school), he said Treen was so slow, "it took him an hour-and-a-half to watch 60 Minutes."

Treen debated him and tried to zing him, saying something like, "why do you talk out of both sides of your mouth?" Edwards retorted, "so people like you with half-a-brain can understand me."

If he just wasn't a crook, he was/is an awful lot of fun. Talk about a character. Another election they asked him what he needed to do to win. "Not die," or "Stay alive," or something like that.

In addition to the "Vote for the Crook. It's important" bumper stickers his campaign handed out when he was running against David Duke (alleged Klansman), his campaign also had bumper stickers that said, "Vote for the lizard, not the wizard."

It was then during an interview that Edwards said the only thing that he and David Duke had in common was that "they were both wizards beneath the sheets."

I don't know if he still has that kind of wit at 86, but I suspect he'll have a zinger or two in this election as well. I can't support him, but I can be entertained by him.

MickintheHam
03-19-2014, 07:53 PM
Oh, my.

I had no insight into anything that wasn't public, but there seemed to be enough public to fill a few volumes. I can only imagine someone who knew their way around Baton Rouge.

In his defense had Edwards been Governor during Katrina in stead of that idiot Blanco, the "Chocolate City" Mayor would have been kept in check and the relief effort would have been effective. Edwin took care of his people.