PDA

View Full Version : Do you drink coffee? If so, how much

Darrell KSR
03-18-2014, 11:15 AM
I'm pretty routinely a two coffee cup (it's really a mug, but not a big one) in the morning coffee drinker, one cup in the afternoon. It can go to another at times.

I generally don't drink any coffee or have any caffeine after the afternoon cup, which is usually just after lunch.

So 3 mugs, up to about 5 cups, I guess. Maybe a tad less, but could be a tad more.

I'm not a coffee snob, drink about any petroleum that is leaded.

What's your story?

suncat05
03-18-2014, 02:12 PM
Two cups per day, that's it. If I drink any more than that I get the jitters. And I do not drink any on the days when we go to the firing range to qualify with our weapons.

I get my coffee from my cousin in Hawaii. He sends me both medium & dark Kona beans, and we grind the beans daily. Excellent coffee.

KSRBEvans
03-18-2014, 02:44 PM
I only drink coffee at work, for some reason. I drink a mug (about 12 oz.) in the morning and a mug in the afternoon.

I used to drink only Starbucks, but I tried Trader Joe's, which is about half the price, and really like it. I usually go for the darker roasts. I love Kona, but the Sumatra I get at TJ's is $5.99/lb and Kona is $19.99/lb.

blueboss
03-18-2014, 06:34 PM
I rarely drink coffee, I do enjoy a cup with dessert after a nice meal. Occasionally I'll have a large breakfast and I'll have a cup or two. Mid morning I generally have a diet Pepsi with a granola bar... healthy, huh.

Darrell KSR
03-18-2014, 06:36 PM
I rarely drink coffee, I do enjoy a cup with dessert after a nice meal. Occasionally I'll have a large breakfast and I'll have a cup or two. Mid morning I generally have a diet Pepsi with a granola bar... healthy, huh.

Is that you, Billy Clyde?

:)

CitizenBBN
03-18-2014, 06:41 PM
I'm like boss, I sometimes want a cup after a nice meal, have it with dessert (which I also very rarely have) and a Bailey's on the side, 1-2 ice cubes in the Bailey's.

I will have an espresso every now and again, probably 3-4 a year.

Now Diet Mt. Dew? Got ya covered.

blueboss
03-18-2014, 06:57 PM
Is that you, Billy Clyde?

BCG? whats the connection?

dan_bgblue
03-18-2014, 09:21 PM
I used to drink about 1/2 gallon per day but got tired of the fuss of making multiple pots of coffee. Now I just chew on the roasted beans

jazyd
03-19-2014, 12:46 AM
Never have drank it :). I was a weird sales rep, didnt drink, no coffe, didnt smoke, didnt chase..was designated driver for the group. Lol

MickintheHam
03-19-2014, 07:35 PM
I'm like boss, I sometimes want a cup after a nice meal, have it with dessert (which I also very rarely have) and a Bailey's on the side, 1-2 ice cubes in the Bailey's.

I will have an espresso every now and again, probably 3-4 a year.

Now Diet Mt. Dew? Got ya covered.

I got hooked on drinking coffee after dinner while I was in college at two of Lexington's best restaurant, Levas' downtown and Stanley Demos' Coach House next to the Big Red Mile. About 10 years ago I found Demos' blend at Magee's Bakery on East Main. Even better about 4 years ago I learned that Coffee Times in Lex has the Demos Blend along with a bizillion other great coffees. Coffee Times is in a strip shopping center about a block behind the Nick Rd. Raisin' Canes. It is worth the effort to go to either Magee' or coffee times if you want outstanding coffee, properly made.

BigBluePappy
03-19-2014, 07:46 PM
Pre-stroke, 2-3 pots per day.
Hell, I could thread a sewing machine while it was running.

Post stroke, I may drink the occasional cup after dinner or with desert.

RC's, I never gave them up, I still drink two a day.

badrose
03-19-2014, 09:01 PM
I drink one of these every day.

http://www.akwholesale.com/image/data/STARBUCKS/starbucks-double-shot-mocha-15oz-1350514461.png

http://www.pepsicobeveragefacts.com/infobycategory.php?pc=brand.1058.1022&t=1026&s=15&i=ntrtn

Lfbj00
03-20-2014, 12:09 AM

RC's, I never gave them up, I still drink two a day.

So YOUR the other person that drinks those things!! My partner at work drinks them, and I've told him for 5 years now, that since my Grandpa passed (God rest his soul), that consumption of RC's was now cut in half!!:sHa_dielaughing:

Lfbj00
03-20-2014, 12:14 AM
I may drink some in the winter when it's cold outside working at the big brown plane house. i do like coffee with breakfast. I've got a little 4 cup coffee maker that I fire up every Sunday for breakfast. My 12 year old son swipes a cup out of that. Others than that, I'm like Citizen...Diet Mountain Dew for my caffeine fix. I drink about 4-6 a day.

bigsky
03-20-2014, 04:23 AM
Two big mugs five days a week in the am. I've quit a couple of times but then the numbers don't add up.

BigBluePappy
03-20-2014, 04:44 AM
Yep,
My Papaw was the one who got me started on them, as well, at the age of three.
Used to go through nigh on to a 12 pack a day, in addition to the coffee.
Add that much caffeine to the work stress and I wonder why I had the stroke.:533:
Just can't give them up.

I have added flavored carbonated water in the place of all the rest of the RC's, with the occasional Arnold Palmer.

So YOUR the other person that drinks those things!! My partner at work drinks them, and I've told him for 5 years now, that since my Grandpa passed (God rest his soul), that consumption of RC's was now cut in half!!:sHa_dielaughing:

badrose
03-20-2014, 08:46 AM
The stuff I drink gives me energy without the jitters. Plus it has vitamins and protein and it knocks my appetite clean out. One in the morning and I don't really think about food until 4 or 5 in the afternoon. I'll eat but not because I'm hungry.

suncat05
03-20-2014, 09:16 AM
I love me an RC cola and a moon pie!

Doc
03-20-2014, 01:07 PM
4 to 5 a day, every day. If I miss I get a massive headache but then I get lots of headaches. If I miss my morning coffee I also get very cranky but then I'm cranky when I do get my coffee, just not as cranky as when I don't. I'll drink it any time, day or night. I never evey order a "grande" or "vente", its alway LARGE. If your menu doesn't call it a large and you can't figure out that I want a large when I say "LARGE"" then its your problem, not mine. I despise paying twice as much just because you are calling it a "grande". I don't get cappachino's or frappachino's or latte's. If it has whipped creme on it then it ain't coffee, its a freaking dessert. If I want a dessert I'll go to a dessert shop. All you are doing by ordering your damn frappa-crappa-latto with a double shot of crap is slowing me down from getting my G-D LARGE COFFEE and getting between me and my LARGE COFFEE that keeps me from getting CRANKY isn't a good thing...GOT IT?

Have nice day!

Doc
03-20-2014, 01:09 PM
I used to drink about 1/2 gallon per day but got tired of the fuss of making multiple pots of coffee. Now I just chew on the roasted beans

Wuss.. I prefer to chew the beans, then pour the boiling water right in my mouth. Saves me from having to wash the pot and the mug.

Darrell KSR
03-20-2014, 01:12 PM
4 to 5 a day, every day. If I miss I get a massive headache but then I get lots of headaches. If I miss my morning coffee I also get very cranky but then I'm cranky when I do get my coffee, just not as cranky as when I don't. I'll drink it any time, day or night. I never evey order a "grande" or "vente", its alway LARGE. If your menu doesn't call it a large and you can't figure out that I want a large when I say "LARGE"" then its your problem, not mine. I despise paying twice as much just because you are calling it a "grande". I don't get cappachino's or frappachino's or latte's. If it has whipped creme on it then it ain't coffee, its a freaking dessert. If I want a dessert I'll go to a dessert shop. All you are doing by ordering your damn frappa-crappa-latto with a double shot of crap is slowing me down from getting my G-D LARGE COFFEE and getting between me and my LARGE COFFEE that keeps me from getting CRANKY isn't a good thing...GOT IT?

Have nice day!

My hero.

CitizenBBN
03-20-2014, 07:55 PM
I got hooked on drinking coffee after dinner while I was in college at two of Lexington's best restaurant, Levas' downtown and Stanley Demos' Coach House next to the Big Red Mile. About 10 years ago I found Demos' blend at Magee's Bakery on East Main. Even better about 4 years ago I learned that Coffee Times in Lex has the Demos Blend along with a bizillion other great coffees. Coffee Times is in a strip shopping center about a block behind the Nick Rd. Raisin' Canes. It is worth the effort to go to either Magee' or coffee times if you want outstanding coffee, properly made.

Cool Mick. I may try it at Magee's, I'm by there enough to maybe make that work. IIRC Coffee Times is over at the 3 way stop at Moore drive, I know the place you're talking about. Over there once in a while when I go to Don Jacobs, I'll give it a try.

Other than the dinner thing I rarely crave it, but after a nice meal it can be really good.

kingcat
03-20-2014, 11:39 PM
8 to ten cups per day...sometimes less. Maxwell House brewed to medium strength.

Started when I became a teenager and have never stopped. Never will I guess, but my body seems to handle it differently than most people.

I even drank RC out of a baby bottle when I was a wee tot they say

AshCat
03-21-2014, 07:54 AM
Used to drink a lot more than I do now. As a general rule I make a thermos full and take to work every morning. Used to stop at Speedway quite often in the afternoon and get a large cup after work but have cut back on that also. Used to drink it all day at work.

bigsky
03-21-2014, 08:15 AM
How I got hooked. 19 years old Working midnights at Brown Street Yard in Richmond Virginia. That coffee tasted like diesel and was blacker than coal by 5am.

KeithKSR
03-23-2014, 09:28 AM
I drink an NRA travel cup full during cold weather months, primarily at work. Other than that I may drink an occasional white chocolate caramel cappuccino from Speedway.

Catonahottinroof
03-23-2014, 09:48 AM
http://nypost.com/2014/03/08/societys-favorite-drug-affects-us-more-than-we-think/

Darrell KSR
03-23-2014, 09:55 AM
From the article above (interesting read!)

The good.

Coffee drinking might make you happier — and it also might make you live longer. Studies have shown a link between coffee-drinking and staving off Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s. And a National Institutes of Health study revealed that those who drank three or more cups a day had a 10 percent lower risk of death than those who did not.

Caffeine stimulates the central nervous system, increasing alertness, decreasing reaction time and sharpening focus.

The bad

Sleep disturbances is one of the most chronically harmful side effects of caffeine use. Caffeine’s half life — or the time it takes for levels to reach 50 percent — is four to five hours. That means if we have a cup at 12 p.m., we might still be feeling its effects if we try to get to bed at 10 p.m.

The youngest caffeine users feel this effect the most severely. Five- to 7-year-olds who drank 52 milligrams of caffeine a day (less than two cans of Coke) were the most sleep-deprived of any group studied.

The ugly

The most cited example of “caffeine-induced psychosis” was of a successful, 47-year-old male farmer. Though he had no history of psychiatric issues, he developed the belief that people were “plotting against him to drive him off his farm and take his land,” the study reads. He installed security cameras, stopped bathing and was placed on a slew of anti-anxiety meds.

He also drank between 12 and 36 cups of coffee a day. Once he kicked that habit, all of the psychiatric symptoms stopped.

BigBluePappy
03-23-2014, 02:50 PM
"He also drank between 12 and 36 cups of coffee a day. Once he kicked that habit, all of the psychiatric symptoms stopped."

What are you trying to say?!:winking0011:

Darrell KSR
03-24-2014, 09:55 AM
"He also drank between 12 and 36 cups of coffee a day. Once he kicked that habit, all of the psychiatric symptoms stopped."

What are you trying to say?!:winking0011:

lol.

This reminds me--I research over the counter drugs to death, to the point where I "prescribe" different ones to family members based on symptoms, and let them know what to avoid, etc. One of the staple of drugs is benadryl (think--shellfish allergy, bee sting allergies, and general insomnia, with occasional "need to stop sneezing" from hayfever type allergies, although not the best). Anyway, while doing research on it years ago, I ran across a subset of drug users who abuse the drug for hallucinogenic purposes. Dang safe drug like crazy (which was what I was originally researching it for), but can be abused.

If you're drinking 36 cups of coffee, you're abusing it, too.

Everything in moderation.

Or as Oscar Wilde said, "everything in moderation. Including moderation."

MickintheHam
03-27-2014, 12:52 PM
Cool Mick. I may try it at Magee's, I'm by there enough to maybe make that work. IIRC Coffee Times is over at the 3 way stop at Moore drive, I know the place you're talking about. Over there once in a while when I go to Don Jacobs, I'll give it a try.

Other than the dinner thing I rarely crave it, but after a nice meal it can be really good.]

You've zeroed in on Coffee Times. I couldn't think of the name of the street. They have a bluegrass breakfast blend that is pretty good. But just ask the clerk when you walk in what's good and you'll find a treat. CT sells bags of coffee as well as brewing it fresh in the store. There is nothing as good as fresh coffee made by someone who knows what they are doing. As as for Magee's the breakfast casserole and Demo's coffee can't be beat. And hell, they throw in a fresh pecan pastry as boot. Citizen it might be a good idea if you walk down to Magee's from your house. It's a lot of breakfast to burn.