PDA

View Full Version : Left my micro sd card in when I upgraded OS to kitkat

Darrell KSR
03-17-2014, 12:32 AM
Apparently, if I were cautious, I should have removed it prior to the upgrade.

Now my Galaxy s4 won't recognize the card.

I have tried turning phone off and on, a soft reboot by removing the battery, and removing the card and reinserting it, without success.

Any suggestions?

I hate technology. I'm going back to a flip phone.

via mobile app

PedroDaGr8
03-17-2014, 01:12 AM
Apparently, if I were cautious, I should have removed it prior to the upgrade.

Now my Galaxy s4 won't recognize the card.

I have tried turning phone off and on, a soft reboot by removing the battery, and removing the card and reinserting it, without success.

Any suggestions?

I hate technology. I'm going back to a flip phone.

via mobile app

Use an adapter on a pc to read the card and backup the contents.

Format the card.

Re-insert the card into the phone.

Transfer data back.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

CitizenBBN
03-17-2014, 01:25 AM
Use an adapter on a pc to read the card and backup the contents.

Format the card.

Re-insert the card into the phone.

Transfer data back.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

This (no surprise coming from Pedro of course). You need to store it on a pc and then you can put it back after you get it formatted correctly. If it is corrupt you'll also find out when you try to read it on the PC.

Darrell KSR
03-17-2014, 10:19 AM
Thanks, guys. I think I have an adapter somewhere, but I may have to run to Office Max (close to my house) and pick one up to give that a try.

I feel so stupid, but never even thought about it. Been waiting for KitKat update, and found that it was available. Love the feature where you can open it up immediately to camera, which was the main (only real) reason I upgraded. Had I done my research, as I normally do, I would've seen some other issues with micro SD cards and usability that would have kept me from upgrading just yet. Dumb decision on my part, but hopefully I can recover what is on the card and start using it again. It's a decent 16gb card, and I can load a lot of stuff on it.

Darrell KSR
03-19-2014, 01:13 PM
Ordered an adapter online, will be here Friday. Spent $1.95 including shipping.

But found my existing one anyway, so I am copying files off it now onto my computer. No problem with computer recognizing it.

Not sure how I will get files back on the phone in the right directories, etc. but happy for now that I can get things off for now.

via mobile app

CitizenBBN
03-19-2014, 03:33 PM
Darrell if you copy off the folder structure on the SD card and reformat it you should be able to copy it all back. It's probably the header info on the card that is the problem, it's just that to fix it you have to format the card. once that's done it should all go back. Not 100% on that, but I'd give it the first try.

Darrell KSR
03-19-2014, 11:25 PM
Well, guess what? Nothing wrong with the SD card. The apps I was using to clear space and check storage simply do not work with the SD card after the kitkat upgrade.

Moreover, other apps don't work now, such as my droidtv app. It works, but I can no longer access the shows.

Wish I had never upgraded. The use of my SD card is far more important than any perceived improved performance from kitkat.

I am now looking seriously at rooting the phone, which I had no real interest in doing, until the SD card/kitkat issues.

I enjoy technology to a point. That point dulled hours ago today when I realized what had happened.

via mobile app

CitizenBBN
03-20-2014, 06:05 PM
That kind of stuff hacks me off majorly with upgrades. Sorry for it D, I hate when they do that stuff to people.

CitizenBBN
04-11-2014, 06:55 PM
Well my phone just did it largely without me wanting it to. We'll see what happens.

CitizenBBN
04-11-2014, 07:00 PM
Well it already broke Kingsoft office for my excel spreadsheets but I did the update from play store and it seems to be working. Going to be a lot of this sort of thing I'm sure. Already ran into Darrell's problem where it won't let apps write to certain places now due to some kind of permission change.

Annoying crap if you ask me.

Darrell KSR
04-11-2014, 09:47 PM
Well my phone just did it largely without me wanting it to. We'll see what happens.

Hate that. I think it is a step backward, at least the way I use my phone.

via mobile app