PDA

View Full Version : Video Camera vs iPad

Crazy4Blue
03-12-2014, 03:12 PM
Video Camera vs iPad (any smart tablet)

Which do you use for video and why? I have an ipad mini, but I think it's clunky to use as a video camera when I go on vacation. Does it make sense to go buy a new video camera when I have one with the ipad? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

dan_bgblue
03-12-2014, 06:32 PM
Video camera is a lot smaller, produces higher quality video and record time is greater with interchangeable sd cards. You can purchase an extra rechargeable battery to have in case you need it. Much better zoom and wide angle. Higher pixel density. Most have the tripod mount threads so you can attach to a tripod and get in the movie yourself. Most have at least 1 usb port for playback attached to a computer and many have either a standard or mini HDMI port for hooking it to most newer model TVs for playback on your 50 inch flat screen tv.

If one is on a really tight budget and has a tablet it will do the job, but if one has a few extra bucks to spend, the investment in the HD video recorder is worth it if one is making movies of memorable moments. jmho

Darrell KSR
10-17-2016, 12:51 PM
Looking at old threads for a variety of reasons at lunchtime today, and found this one.

Highly recommend a device dedicated to a purpose...usually does it far better than anything else. I could not be happier with the Canon Vixia HF R700 camcorder I have now after more than a quarter-century of owning nothing but Sony camcorders. The Sony camcorders in the same price range are just built much more cheaply than the Canon, which, for the price, is outstanding (IMHO). I paid $250, which was $50 off the regular price, and did get a few tidbits thrown in--a videocamera bag (can never have too many of those), cheap full size tripod (it is ok as a cheap backup to keep in the back of the car), etc.

Dan helped me find some full-sized SD cards (I like those better than the micro), and I bought several, and have already recorded numerous hours of soccer video this fall with it; by far the best quality I've ever had, even while not using the best setting.

I can videorecord with my Samsung Galaxy S5, and in a pinch, it will do--but nothing like the quality of this inexpensive Canon. Here are some things you'll get with a camcorder that you won't get with an iPad type device (and make no mistake, there are MANY good camcorders, not just the inexpensive Canon I'm using).

57x zoom. Yep, that's crazy
Excellent optical image stabilizer. I took some video of a "Pops in the Park" singing act a few weeks ago. I was not in a place to use a tripod. It was perfectly steady, as it fixed on one of the girls' faces, and locked into that as a steady shot. Crazy how still it was; it looks like a tripod.
Slow-motion settings to record, fast motion, etc.
1080/60p recording if desired
Battery life--incredible with this one. It comes with a battery they sell for near about $100 by itself, included as part of the base price. I get a solid more than 3 hours of videorecording each and every time. In fact, I can record two complete soccer matches (they are 90 minutes long) without recharging. I think I read where somebody got something like 6 hours or more--I don't get that, but it's heavy duty, no kidding.
Zoom framing assistance- zooming in can be troublesome, but it has a feature where you can lock in easily

And many, many more features that aren't just gimmicks, including different modes, focuses, filters, etc. Of course, I usually set everything mostly to automatic, because I'm a camera dunce and they build these things for people like me. But you'll never regret having one of these when it comes time to record something.