PDA

View Full Version : There's something wrong if this doesn't pi$$ you off

badrose
03-12-2014, 02:50 PM
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/03/12/teen-jailed-for-13-days-after-emt-kit-pocketknife-and-found-in-his-car-and-thats-just-scratching-the-surface-of-jordan-wisers-nightmare/

....“I was in jail for almost 13 days,” Wiser told the Huffington Post. “The first bond hearing I went to was on December 15. The judge ordered me [to be] held on a half million-dollar bond, pending a psychological evaluation. I did that and passed. They found I was not suicidal, homicidal or a threat to anybody. My attorney brought it up in front of a different judge, who let me out on a $50,000 bond and an ankle monitor. I was released from jail on Christmas Eve.”

Given his school’s locale, Wiser doesn’t understand all the hubub over his pocketknife — nor the wide-ranging fallout from its discovery.

“There are kids at my school all the time who get caught with knives and are suspended,” he told the Huffington Post. “My school is very rural, and people carry knives. I can accept the fact that there was a lapse in judgment, and I can accept a punishment, but I have already been expelled from both the tech school and my home school.” Jerome Brockway, the A-Tech superintendent, declined to discuss the case.

And since Wiser’s felony charge, he said the Army discharged him pending a not-guilty verdict or dropped charges without prejudice.

That’s not all. If the felony charge sticks, things could get way worse.

“If I am convicted of a felony, I’m never going to be a police officer. I’m never going to be a fireman. I’m never going to be in the military,” he added. “I won’t even be able to be a janitor. I’m 18 years old, and this is going to ruin my entire life.”

suncat05
03-12-2014, 03:36 PM
This goes way past absurd. Especially if there were no real threats made or even present. This is a VERY RURAL area here where I work. Almost all of these kids here have knives on or about their person. And some have guns too. Most of these kids live on farms or ranches around here. They need these items for their after-school work activities on those farms/ranches.
And we have not had one incident involving any weapons here. Yes, it's certainly possible, of course. But when you're dealing with situations like this, you have to take your environment into account, and you have to know the kids, and their families that you're dealing with too.
I also realize that this is just one side of this story being told, but something isn't adding up with me.

jazyd
03-12-2014, 06:16 PM
We have some absolute nut case running this country. All this crap coming from the Obama group is giving these wackos reasons to treat good people like evil and the true evil people like heroes.

KeithKSR
03-13-2014, 12:48 PM
I can see how this could go very bad for the school's principal, assistant principal and the entire district.

By claiming a no tolerance policy they open themselves up to a civil suit and they are going to have to show a track record of having other students prosecuted for similar incidents.

Things sure have changed in schools since I was in HS. Back in those days folding hunters were really popular and boys carried them in their sheath to school. It was pretty rare for boys not to have some kind of knife on their person.

We've had kids forget about pocket knives and bring them to school, usually it is confiscation and parents come and pick them up.

CitizenBBN
03-13-2014, 05:00 PM
I looked into this and the probable cause to want to search his vehicle was home self defense videos on youtube. I read 1-2 quick stories on it and he seems like a kid who REALLY wants to be a cop/EMT. I knew a guy like that in my class in high school, guy was obsessed with police procedures and in fact had gotten to know a number of officers here in town.

Supposedly (only per comments section posts on the stories) he's shown up at fire/crime type scenes and taken pictures and has the aforementioned youtube videos, but the problem is none of that is illegal. A number of people have police scanners and listen to reports of what is going on.

I get that his "tacti-cool" nature would make a school nervous, OK. I could even go so far as to see further investigation like a psych interview and checking to see if he has been hoarding up guns and ammo and such. We live in paranoid times. What I don't see is what this is: a punitive prosecution for a minor offense they can get him on b/c they think he's dangerous but just can't prove it.

Here's the real problem though: this tech school is apparently FOR people going into law enforcement and emergency services, so it's not like it's any surprise he's interested in such stuff or even uncommon. That's why other students have been caught with knives, between the rural area and the nature of the school I'm sure many have knives with them.

Here's a story where Wiser says they had a lax policy and even overlooked kids with guns in vehicles: http://dailycaller.com/2014/03/12/the-dc-interviews-jordan-wiser-the-teen-facing-jail-for-owning-a-pocketknife/

if being an 18 year old into "tacti-cool" is a crime I know a few tens of thousands of such folks in Kentucky who hare in trouble. They may have thought he may be the next school shooter for some reason despite nothing he did being all that surprising given the school's nature, but you know since that they've investigated him with a rectal exam, and this is the only charge they have him on.

What that tells me is he's probably not any kind of issue, just a guy who really thinks being a cop or in the army is cool, and that's hardly a crime or even wrong. I know people just as adamant about wanting to be actors, and I don't get that at all, but it doesn't mean they are wrong to be so focused on it or think it's the greatest thing ever. He was pre-Army, was taking classes in this field at a school for such work, I don't see anything unusual at all given the context.

The guy I knew had a scanner in his car, had the legal lights for it, the works. He wasn't even in a LEO/EMS type school.

Also FWIW this prosecutor is running for office this year, a judgeship. The part I don't get is per his website he's a former Marine, so it's not an anti-gun thing, but I do think it's a punitive prosecution thing.

http://www.starbeacon.com/local/x1280774237/County-contests-starting-to-take-shape

Here's his website, with a place to send him your thoughts: http://electspecht2014.com

Local story from before when it went to grand jury. Notice how they emphasize the AIR SOFT guns as a "9mm" and such. Typical nonense, they're AIR SOFT guns. http://www.starbeacon.com/local/x468539007/A-Tech-student-s-case-bound-over-to-grand-jury

Looks to me like they want to nail this kid for something that has nothing to do with the pocketknife or the youtube videos or his interest in LEO/EMS work. Sounds like kids at that school have carried knives around without issue, have even had guns brought on campus without more than a "leave it at the office, we'll give it back at the end of class" type policy. something specific to this kid they don't like.

Somehow I doubt this ends well for the prosecutor or the school. I sure hope not. Marine or no I don't like these kinds of punitive witch hunts. if the kid has broken a law or been adjudicated mentally ill fine do what you must, but if he hasn't done anything wrong and no doctors will say there's anything wrong with him let it go, you may have just been wrong about the guy. There are people in this world who aren't 100% "normal" in their social interactions and dreams who are perfectly safe people that get through life just fine. Not everyone who likes tacti-cool stuff is a potential threat.

CitizenBBN
03-13-2014, 05:07 PM
This goes way past absurd. Especially if there were no real threats made or even present. This is a VERY RURAL area here where I work. Almost all of these kids here have knives on or about their person. And some have guns too. Most of these kids live on farms or ranches around here. They need these items for their after-school work activities on those farms/ranches.
And we have not had one incident involving any weapons here. Yes, it's certainly possible, of course. But when you're dealing with situations like this, you have to take your environment into account, and you have to know the kids, and their families that you're dealing with too.
I also realize that this is just one side of this story being told, but something isn't adding up with me.

My cousin once joked, after Columbine but years ago, that there weren't any shootings like that in schools like his (rural Ky) b/c the kids would all run out to their cars and get their guns and come back shooting. He wasn't completely wrong on that IMO.

This school he was at was a technical school for LEO/EMS, so I don't get the issue with him or his being interested in such things as some kind of warning sign to them. Further the prosecutor is a former Marine, surely he isn't some uptight leftist soccer mom type.

Something doesn't add up, but I surely see no felony crime here. IMO the people who run the school and this prosecutor (former Military) for some reason specifically don't think this kid should be in the military or law enforcement, and have concocted this way to weed him out. with the felony conviction he is barred from any of that service.

I think it's personal, targeted and planned to get him out of this career path. Other kids at the school have had knives and guns, it's a rural area where such things are common at even regular schools, these shouldn't be anti-gun or anti-knife nuts making the decisions, so it has to be this kid personally.

The bad news for them is it has now gone national and they have absolutely no case against him other than some vibe they presumably get from him or some other personality trait they don't like. It wont' hold up and anyone looking to be a judge should never have acted so arbitrarily or subjectively and hopefully this will blow up rather than make his election. The bright lights this will cast on their prosecution should show just how little case they have.

Darrell KSR
03-13-2014, 08:23 PM
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/03/12/teen-jailed-for-13-days-after-emt-kit-pocketknife-and-found-in-his-car-and-thats-just-scratching-the-surface-of-jordan-wisers-nightmare/

“There are kids at my school all the time who get caught with knives and are suspended,” he told the Huffington Post. “My school is very rural, and people carry knives. I can accept the fact that there was a lapse of judgment...

I keep thinking there is more to the story. But the apparent arbitrary and selective punishment sure seems strange.

via mobile app

suncat05
03-14-2014, 09:14 AM
As I stated earlier, to me, this one just doesn't pass the 'smell test'. I also concur with CBBN, in that nothing is out of the ordinary here.
Now, Marine or not, this prosecutor that is running for Judge may be trying to score points with the community by portraying himself to be tough on crime, but if that is the case, he may have picked the wrong fight. And as to prejudging this kid, no one has the right to do that. So what if he may be "a little different"? If he's done nothing wrong, leave him alone. I know LOTS of people who are "a little different", and that does not make them criminals, or dangerous, or anything else negative. They're just "different". Nothing wrong with that. Hell, I know lots and lots of Judges, attorneys, police, fire fighters, paramedics, present & former servicemembers who are all "different". Does not mean there's anything wrong or evil or criminal with any of them at all.
And if this kid ever does do something wrong, I am pretty sure that he understands there can & will be consequences for any wrong/criminal actions. But at this point right now, this appears to be some sort of witchhunt or vendetta against this kid.

Darrell KSR
03-14-2014, 09:31 AM
Just bizarre.

Has to be a backstory. But you'd think it would have come out by now.

via mobile app

CitizenBBN
03-14-2014, 11:47 AM
Darrell I agree but I got curious and combed the local area paper a bit and read the facebook comments on it on the few stories I found, and the only thing I found was a guy saying this kid was going to these fire/accident/police scenes and taking pics and posting them on his facebook. He claimed one had a body pictured in it.

OK, not a mainstream hobby, but illegal? No. Sign of mental issues or being a danger? No. Do they rectal exam the kids who sit around playing Call of Duty and virtually blowing up people, or is playing Grand Theft Auto used as probable cause to check to see if you're a criminal?

The only thing I see here is them deciding he's a "loner" who is too into this stuff, for whatever reason decided to cull him from a career in this area and/or that he was a danger and they just couldn't prove it. That's all I can figure. If he had a horde of weapons or ammo etc. it would be out there even as rumor and it's not, and if they found anything else to charge him with you know they would b/c this is weak tea as it stands.

If being a little too into tactical stuff and home defense and even fire/crime scenes is a crime I know a number of people they can arrest. It smells to me like when they report someone had an "arsenal" of guns in their home and it was 5-10 firearms. I know guys with 200-300, 10 is considered low within the gun collector world. This kid would seem a little too into this stuff within the general population, but within the world of a tech school specifically for this kind of career and the world or ROTC I've seen nothing yet that raises my eyebrow. Any more than a guy with 50 guns would, but it might to people who don't know that world.

I agree it doesn't add up, but those are my only theories. If there was more you'd think at least some rumors would be out there.

I will say the judge and this prosecutor don't want the national attention. A petition was started on some site and Wiser asked to take it down b/c the judge threatened him and his attorney even though they didn't start it. I doubt they want the bright lights on this case, but that's exactly what is going to happen.

I find it interesting he's running for office, but I agree with suncat if this is his high profile case to make his bones he has chosen very badly. Barring evidence this kid was writing mass murder stories online or some other crazy stuff, which I absolutely do not believe, I think they're going to lose this case before it ever gets to trial.

CitizenBBN
03-14-2014, 11:58 AM
As I stated earlier, to me, this one just doesn't pass the 'smell test'. I also concur with CBBN, in that nothing is out of the ordinary here.

Glad you see it that way too. I see nothing unusual here. Within the gun community I work with a lot of guys who have a heightened sense of home defense and self defense, and there are THOUSANDS of guys on youtube doing videos about these topics, maybe tens of thousands. None of them are a risk to harm anyone unless you are trying to rob their house.

I get how a stereotypic "soccer mom" would maybe get nervous or freak out, but they'd freak at half the stuff they'd see in truly rural areas. Like the lunatic social services person who investigated b/c a kid posed with a rifle on a facebook pic. I get there are people that stupid out there who think all weapons are of the devil and have no sense of perspective outside their world.

What I don't get is how a prosecutor and former Marine or the head of a school teaching EMS/LEO skills get freaked about a 4" pocket knife. Some safety Nazi soccer mom and the kid is in a general school OK, but a 4" pocket knife causing issues at a school for LEOs?

I think we all agree that just doesn't pass the smell test. Held on million dollar bonds, forced to take a psych analysis? They think he's a nut job IMO and "just can't prove it", which is bogus if he's passed the psych and they have nothing else other than a freakin' pocket knife to charge him with.