PDA

View Full Version : Scammed on internet deal

CGWildcat
03-10-2014, 01:03 PM
I know, I know....

Tired to purchase a used lens from the FB group, Canon Equipment buy and sell. Had good luck previously.

3 Feb I start conv. with guy in VA. Seems legit enough. I know, I know. Offer him $900 for the lens (Canon 100-400L). He agrees. Says his paypal is having issues and asks me to call him tomorrow. We talk about half hour, very good scammer looking back. I agree to give him my CC info over phone. I know!!

Few days later he writes and tells me he has found out employee is skimming $$ from him. Tells me he will refund but hopes to have it worked out and lens sent in couple days. I wanted that lens (great price) so I agree to wait. Nothing.

Same thing happens once more. I ask for refund, he agrees, and then can't understand why it hasnt gone through. He offers to send certified check out ASAP (that was Sunday Mar 2nd. Last night I ask him where check is. He send it out March 5th! Dude, 3 days is NOT ASAP! Going through FB group pictures. His name pops up from someone else. Ends up he has done this to many people over the last 2-4 years it looks like. I told him he was liar and fraud and contacting CC company. He appears to be involved in LE in some form. (told me he was private bodyguard).

Some people have used paypal and gotten money back. He is showing up w/multiple names profiles found for at least 2-3 different names.

I contacted CC company and they gave me standard we won't bill you finance charges till resolved. I provided them the entire text of our conversations on FB. Then had the nerve to tell me..."person stated they mailed you check on 5 march. Wait 15 days and if non-receipt contact us again and we will follow up."

He lives in the Chesapeake, VA area it appears. I have at least 2 of his fake/real names and a cell phone #.

Is this something I and others should take to a higher LE org? Any suggestions?

Roger

suncat05
03-10-2014, 02:07 PM
Make a police report first. Then be very insistent that it go to the State's Attorney Office for further action. They most likely will have an Internet Crimes Unit that can work with Virginia authorities to apprehend your thief.
Not sure what the federal guidelines are for something like this, but I'm pretty sure some federal law, maybe along the interstate commerce line, has been violated too. Or maybe Internet fraud of some sort at the federal level since it crossed several state lines.

dan_bgblue
03-10-2014, 07:59 PM
Good Luck Coastie. When you get your money back, hopefully, I know you can find one for $950.00 to $1,150.00 from reputable dealers or individuals elsewhere. Really nice lens with great auto focus and color rendition. You should enjoy it once one arrives for you.

I agree with suncat, contact law enforcement and discuss the issue with them for all options for recovering your money and putting the thief out of business for a few days anyway. All of my purchases from individuals ave been done via paypal and if they will not work that way, I do not bother them with the deal further.

CGWildcat
03-11-2014, 10:06 AM
Thanks guys. Apparently this guy has a long history. He ticked off a single mom with a lot of time on her hands and did massive research on him yesterday. She found about 7 aliases between he and his wife. He has posed as an executive bodyguard, EMT, criminal justice student, and one other that escapes me at the moment.

I took Suncats advice and went straight to the CA State AG office yesterday and filed complaint with their Internet Crimes division. The single mom has done the same. It appears others are doing the same today.

On a lighter note, I bit the bullet hard and bought the new Tamron 150-600mm to replace it. :)

dan_bgblue
03-11-2014, 08:33 PM
Coastie, please let me know what you think of the Tamron. Reviews and first hand user reports have been all over the board since it was released a few months ago. I have a Sigma 150-500 that I like but it is not for everyone as it has a steep learning curve to get good results. For the first 500 shots or so I wanted to throw it in the river, but we finally decided to get along after I figured out what it took to make the lens do what I wanted it to do. I would like to replace it with a more friendly lens if there is one out there

CGWildcat
03-14-2014, 07:40 PM
Money magically appeared back into my account Thursday night. Guess the guy didn't send a check after :mad0176:all

Dan, I'll gladly post a few pics with the Tamron. So far I'm loving it.

suncat05
03-14-2014, 08:36 PM
Okay, Coastie, now I'm going to sound like the a-hole I can be when needed: DO NOT let this guy off the hook! Yes, you got your money back, but how many others haven't in the past? Or won't in the future if you let this scumbag slide just because you got YOUR MONEY back? This scumbag needs to see and spend some time inside a jail cell.
Please, DO NOT let this guy off the hook so that he can victimize somebody else.

CGWildcat
03-16-2014, 04:19 PM
Trust me. I have no intention of doing so. Hoping to hear from IC div this week.

dan_bgblue
03-16-2014, 09:41 PM
Very happy the money was returned to you!