PDA

View Full Version : The guy I want to see run for PResident

CitizenBBN
03-07-2014, 06:43 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/03/08/john-kasich-in-2016-why-progressive-george-soros-crowd-fears-run-by-ohio/?intcmp=trending

Kasich is a blue collar Republican and very "Jack Kemp" on economics, and it's working in Ohio. He's not rich, can't be smeared with all that nonsense, is a self made guy who is smart. He was chair of the House Budget Cmte the last time we had anything like a balanced budget, is current governor of Ohio where his tax and regulation cut policies are succeeding in a big way.

Critically he's also NOT a party line guy. Could really appeal to the growing GOP membership that is fed up with politics as usual even within the GOP. But he's not extremist, not a Tea Party guy with a fringe image.

Oh, and Ohio is a crucial state in the Presidential election. It's a crucial swing state in the red/blue battle. Win the nomination then win the lock red states, Ohio and Florida and you win this thing outright.

He's no Rockefeller Republican like Christie either, he's a real Reagan Republican, his economic blueprint is right from Kemp, who was the architect of Reagan's plan. But he's also leading the push for a constitutional convention to put in a balanced budget amendment. Hows that for appeal to the libertarian and conservative bases?

CitizenBBN
03-07-2014, 06:46 PM
And if I'm Paul and Kasich runs I agree to get in line behind him. Paul can't win I dont' think even though I'm Libertarian, but Kasich can,and Paul can help deliver votes to him from the libertarian base.

Doc
03-07-2014, 07:18 PM
I actually do think Paul could win. He is very appealing to the younger generation.

CitizenBBN
03-07-2014, 07:37 PM
I actually do think Paul could win. He is very appealing to the younger generation.

He's appealing to me so I'm not against him but younger folks alone won't carry it. I'm afraid he's too prone to non presidential type comments to carry out off. Too many people vote against you for the silly gotcha Crap and don't do their homework.

He won't feel presidential to a lot of people. Kasich will imo.

Sent using Forum Runner

dan_bgblue
03-08-2014, 07:02 AM
The two of them would make a very interesting pair to run for the Whitehouse. I have no idea that either would entertain the idea, but there might be enough synergy between their ideas to make a strong candidacy.

suncat05
03-08-2014, 07:27 AM
I have not paid much attention to Kasich. I do like Rand Paul, but I also agree that Paul most likely cannot win the nomination in the GOP based on just young adults.
I still like Marco Rubio, but I have cooled on him due to the amnesty fiasco. I think he basically got schooled by Schumer, whom I despise with all of my being.
I also think that Scott Walker might possibly be a good viable candidate as well. If the GOP wants to get another President into the White House, I seriously think they need to look to the ranks of the state governors. We need somebody in the WH that has some actual executive experience, that has dealt with a state legislature and worked out a damn budget. I really DO NOT want to see another career politician in the WH. We do not need that in this point and time in history. We need somebody in the big chair that knows how to make good decisions based on working knowledge and policy that is in the best interests of the United States, not either political party.

CitizenBBN
03-08-2014, 04:19 PM
suncat I agree a Governor would be a good place to start. Paul is outsider enough to not be seen as a party guy, he's sure not, but most any other Senator etc. would be. I like kasich b/c he has that outsider image even though he was in the House but also b/c he not only will deliver his state but a key, huge, massive state just by being on the ballot, or at least should.

Dan I thought about a Kasich/Paul ticket, it could work. Lots of common ground on economics, neither is an establishment guy, Kasich being pretty strongly Christian and Paul more non-religious at the issues level could be a good balance for a ticket as well.

suncat05
03-08-2014, 06:05 PM
The big problem though, will be the old guard GOP establishment. Their time has come and gone, but they're firmly entrenched and will do what they think is best for 'them' instead of trying to bring new blood and renewed interest into the GOP. Right now, the old guard is an much of an enemy to the country as the Democrats are. At least that's how I see it.
Guys like McCain, McConnell, Rove, Graham are as much the problem as Obama and the Clintons.
I also like Nikki Haley and Bobby Jindal too. But I firmly believe that the next GOP POTUS needs to be a former governor, someone who knows how to present a plan and a budget and work with ALL parties in the process to get this country moving ahead, not backwards, and to also deal with our many other problems, such as actually having a real, working, viable foreign policy that doesn't make us look like, well, Kenya..........or some other Third World country.

dan_bgblue
03-08-2014, 06:47 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/03/08/rand-paul-wins-cpac-straw-poll/

CitizenBBN
03-08-2014, 07:25 PM
Interesting Dan. Paul will definitely be a force, and with Christie shooting his foot off with a bazooka he may be out of it. Still doubt his broad appeal but we'll have to see, if he's well spoken enough it could work.

It certainly would't do this state any harm to have a Senate (hopefully) Majority leader and a sitting President at the same time.

dan_bgblue
03-08-2014, 07:29 PM
I think Kaisich has the best shot to win the office, but as I said before Paul would bring something to the ticket that would be positive should they team up.

jazyd
03-08-2014, 11:25 PM
Love Kaisich and have for some time. He would have to start soon as I don't think he has national recognition like Paul does. Like Walker and Jindal, both great govs. Jindal very smart, very organized. They had a hurricane right after he came in office and watching his press conference talking all what needed to be done was nothing short of amazing

KeithKSR
03-13-2014, 12:58 PM
Christie, even without BridgeGate, is not a guy that can win the national election.

Moderate members of the GOP have no shot at winning a national election. It will take a true conservative to win. People like Rand Paul, Ted Cruz and others are popular because they don't fear taking a position.

suncat05
03-13-2014, 02:56 PM
No moderate Republican can or will win. And if the GOP keeps putting up people like McCain, Romney, Dole and those types we may well never see another Republican President in my remaining lifetime.

The current GOP is in serious need of some new direction and some new blood. As I have stated before, the "old guard" needs to step aside and let a new generation take its turn at wrestling with the mule.

CitizenBBN
03-13-2014, 05:26 PM
I hope the party is finally getting ready to turn on the Libertarian axis, if it does it will dominate elections. the majority of americans are generally in the Libertarian group, want government out of our pockets and bedrooms. the core platform of that GOP would have broader appeal and a true small government mission that would be something other than "Liberal-lite" that we have had in the GOP leadership since Bush II.

It isn't perfect. Libertarians tend to be limited in their desire to have a massive military and project US power, but they have the benefit of not being naive and saddled with the "everyone is good it's just the US that makes them bad" BS of the left. They may not have us intervening in the Sudan or Serbia but they won't think that if we're just nice to Iran they'll stop making nuclear weapons either.

MickintheHam
03-17-2014, 09:13 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/03/08/john-kasich-in-2016-why-progressive-george-soros-crowd-fears-run-by-ohio/?intcmp=trending

Kasich is a blue collar Republican and very "Jack Kemp" on economics, and it's working in Ohio. He's not rich, can't be smeared with all that nonsense, is a self made guy who is smart. He was chair of the House Budget Cmte the last time we had anything like a balanced budget, is current governor of Ohio where his tax and regulation cut policies are succeeding in a big way.

Critically he's also NOT a party line guy. Could really appeal to the growing GOP membership that is fed up with politics as usual even within the GOP. But he's not extremist, not a Tea Party guy with a fringe image.

Oh, and Ohio is a crucial state in the Presidential election. It's a crucial swing state in the red/blue battle. Win the nomination then win the lock red states, Ohio and Florida and you win this thing outright.

He's no Rockefeller Republican like Christie either, he's a real Reagan Republican, his economic blueprint is right from Kemp, who was the architect of Reagan's plan. But he's also leading the push for a constitutional convention to put in a balanced budget amendment. Hows that for appeal to the libertarian and conservative bases?

I was fortunate enough to meet John Kasich back in the 90s. We had him come to Birmingham for a continuing education program on taxes. He has all the qualities to be President. I rate it as the best presentation I ever heard in my life. No notes. No slides. It was all from his knowledge of the tax code and the budget process. He and Scott Walker are my choices.

CitizenBBN
03-17-2014, 09:30 PM
That's great to hear Mick. Sounds overqualified for President in fact. lol.

I really like him. he's the kind of guy who would have been President back when we elected accomplished men of reason to be President.

Him being Ohio Governor makes it a no brainer IMO. He's the right guy with the right positions for a broader appeal, but he can deliver one of the two key swing states to win this thing. These elections will be decided by Ohio and Florida right now, and he can win both.

bigsky
03-20-2014, 04:43 AM
Like him too. And I am a moderate R. I despair for the party for the opposite reasons as Keith. And I did vote for Gary the weirdo like me Johnson in the last election. I liked Jon Huntsman too.

Yet, I'm In the newest commercial for R Senate candidate, who is much to the right of me. I can't go where the D's are taking us without a fight. And that is why things are extreme.

badrose
03-20-2014, 09:49 AM
Gotta love this:

http://dailycaller.com/2014/03/19/rand-paul-gets-standing-ovation-at-berkeley-your-right-to-privacy-is-under-assault/#ixzz2wSXeZYz2

BERKELEY, Calif. — Delivering a rare speech for a Republican at this bastion of liberalism, Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul on Wednesday was given multiple standing ovations by the left-wing audience after railing against government surveillance and warning the students: “Your right to privacy is under assault.”

“I am here to tell you that if you own a cell phone, you’re under surveillance,” he told the crowd.

Paul’s address at the Berkeley Forum on the campus of the University of California at Berkeley focused on the National Security Agency’s collection of telephone metadata and the debate over privacy.

During his remarks, the potential 2016 Republican candidate discussed California Sen. Dianne Feinstein’s claim that the CIA had spied on her congressional staff, and announced that he plans to call for a special committee on Capitol Hill to investigate the domestic spying by government agencies .

“No one should be allowed to invade your privacy,” Paul said. “That’s why I’m announcing today that when I return to Washington, I will push for a select committee styled after the Church Committee that investigated the abuses of power of the intelligence committee in the 70s. It should be bipartisan. It should be independent, and wide reaching. It should have full power to investigate and reform those who spy on us in the name of protecting us.”

Added Paul: “It should watch the watchers.”

That Paul decided to take his libertarian-leaning message to one of the most liberal campuses in the country is no mistake. He is actively making an effort to appear before crowds that have not been supportive of Republicans to demonstrate his ability to appeal to a broader electorate.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2014/03/19/rand-paul-gets-standing-ovation-at-berkeley-your-right-to-privacy-is-under-assault/#ixzz2wVyWm6Mf

CitizenBBN
03-20-2014, 06:52 PM
Paul definitely can generate appeal outside the GOP base, esp. among people who are more or less Libertarian but have fallen on the social issues being more important than the economic ones and end up in the "liberal" camp. Most are really liberal, i.e. Leftist Repressive, but some are libertarians with no home, and there are FAR more of those who call themselves independent. even Libertarians in the GOP don't feel terribly at home.

I'd love a Kasich/Paul ticket. Uber powerful combination.

KeithKSR
03-20-2014, 08:53 PM
Like him too. And I am a moderate R. I despair for the party for the opposite reasons as Keith. And I did vote for Gary the weirdo like me Johnson in the last election. I liked Jon Huntsman too.

Yet, I'm In the newest commercial for R Senate candidate, who is much to the right of me. I can't go where the D's are taking us without a fight. And that is why things are extreme.

Nationally a moderate Republican is a Democrat-lite candidate. The new breed of Republican is more libertarian, fiscally conservative and less into the religious and social issues. The GOP fields a fiscal conservative who doesn't offend folks on the social issues and they win easily.

bigsky
03-21-2014, 09:01 AM
The GOP fields a fiscal conservative who doesn't offend folks on the social issues and they win easily. I agree. Getting one nominated is the issue

suncat05
03-21-2014, 09:24 AM
I agree with both bigsky and Keith. If only we can make it happen.

It just makes me ill to even think about another Clinton in the White House. Not fond of the prospect of another Bush, either. I do like Jeb, but I absolutely detest his love for the "Common Core" curriculum for the public schools, so with that I would be holding my nose as I pull the lever in the voting booth if the only choices were Clinton or Jeb. Plus, Jeb is a member of the old guard of the GOP, so in my mind we really need to make some changes in the heirarchy, or we just get more of the same 'ol, same 'ol in the White House.

badrose
03-21-2014, 10:19 AM
I consider myself a libertarian except for the abortion issue. I just can't shrug it off as they now have "after-birth" abortion. There's another name for that. Outlaw it and push the morning after pill. I could live with that.