PDA

View Full Version : 2005/2012 seasons

fastkat
09-30-2012, 09:09 AM
I see a lot of similarities with these two seasons. We have a lot of young players this year. I forget how many FR & SOs they said made the trip to FL last week but it was high. I remember going to UGA in 05 with less than 50 healthy scholarship players and most of them were FR & SOs. Andre Woodson was a SO as is Maxwell Smith.

We had moments in 05 that we looked good and a lot that we didn't. The first half last night we looked like an SEC team but inexperience killed us on the last series of the first half and on the return to start the second half and things unraveled.

There are a couple other things but I can't remember them at this moment

paulhead31
09-30-2012, 10:25 AM
Kat, I agree this team is young and mistakes are happening even with Smith at QB there were mistakes all over, but I feel now that Whutlow has had his for the lack of better words time in the trenches he will only get better from this point on. He does have a strong arm and I think if the oline can give him so more time in the coming weeks (provided that Max is out for a while) UK can win some games. I think outside of Georgia our schedule gets a little easier from here on out. Lets hope the team can put together a few games back to back and win.

fastkat
09-30-2012, 10:55 AM
how could I forget this one. 2005 fans are screaming to get rid of Rich and Mitch this year just substitute Joker for Rich.

suncat05
09-30-2012, 11:54 AM
Even though I am not 100% on board with Joker because of some of the things that have happened, I still believe he needs one more year to get the forward traction needed for this program. If by the end of next season we do not see any progress, or even less than what it should be, then it will be time to make the move to look for a new coach.
I just believe that 3 years is not long enough to give him the honest chance he deserves. But that's just me talking out loud. Certainly the numbers of fans in the seats(or NOT in their seats, as the case may be)and lost revenue will be a determining factor with Barnhart and the UKAA which may mitigate the situation to a faster resolution. But let's all remember that the fans were calling for the head of Coach Brooks going into the 2006 season, and by mid-season he had the team moving forward and playing very well, and we went to our first bowl game in years(and won it too!).
So that's were I stand in this. Am I happy? Not by a long shot, but this team is playing better even though the W-L doesn't add up favorably right now. I just think Joker deserves to get one more year as the head coach to see this thing through. JMHO.

paulhead31
09-30-2012, 12:47 PM
Even though I am not 100% on board with Joker because of some of the things that have happened, I still believe he needs one more year to get the forward traction needed for this program. If by the end of next season we do not see any progress, or even less than what it should be, then it will be time to make the move to look for a new coach.
I just believe that 3 years is not long enough to give him the honest chance he deserves. But that's just me talking out loud. Certainly the numbers of fans in the seats(or NOT in their seats, as the case may be)and lost revenue will be a determining factor with Barnhart and the UKAA which may mitigate the situation to a faster resolution. But let's all remember that the fans were calling for the head of Coach Brooks going into the 2006 season, and by mid-season he had the team moving forward and playing very well, and we went to our first bowl game in years(and won it too!).
So that's were I stand in this. Am I happy? Not by a long shot, but this team is playing better even though the W-L doesn't add up favorably right now. I just think Joker deserves to get one more year as the head coach to see this thing through. JMHO.

Suncat I agree, these young guys playing now will only get better as the season goes along and hopefully improve to a point that they can win the games to put them in a spot to go to a bowl game. The schedule gets a little easier from here on out outside of Georgia of course Miss. St. has not played anybody yet, Auburn is suspect which is there only win in the SEC. The other three games that they won are little sisters of the poor type. I think UKcan win that one and move on from there.

ram
09-30-2012, 02:20 PM
The difference between this and the 05 season? Brooks knew what it took to be a successful college football coach and had demonstrated as much in a previous position, not to mention the NFL believed he had the skills. Whereas JP has no such previous success. In his work as head coach thus far, he has yet to demonstrate he has what it takes. Clearly our program is in worse shape now than it was when he took over. MB was justified in hanging in there with Brooks. At least he had Brooks' history on his side. What is he hanging his hat on with Joker?

fastkat
09-30-2012, 05:14 PM
The difference between this and the 05 season? Brooks knew what it took to be a successful college football coach and had demonstrated as much in a previous position, not to mention the NFL believed he had the skills. Whereas JP has no such previous success. In his work as head coach thus far, he has yet to demonstrate he has what it takes. Clearly our program is in worse shape now than it was when he took over. MB was justified in hanging in there with Brooks. At least he had Brooks' history on his side. What is he hanging his hat on with Joker?

Well Joker was the OC that got the ball rolling. Brooks history didn't stop the usual posters to call for his dismissal, as a matter of fact they were saying he was too old and the kids didn't relate to him.. Keri Brooks used to come to the old KSR site to defend her father, I've haven't seen any of Jokers family defending him online yet.

Catfan73
10-01-2012, 10:11 AM
When we were young in 2005 it wasn't Brooks' fault, he inherited a team on probation. The fact we're so young right now is totally on the current coach and staff. Also, there were signs in Brooks' third year that the team was improving and there would be better days ahead. The last thing we needed then was another coaching change. That's not the situation now. Under Joker we've gotten worse and worse. Instead of talking about competing in the SEC east, he's gone to talking about trying to see "improvement" from game to game.

With Brooks, continuity continued the upswing. With Phillips, continuity will only prolong the descent.