PDA

View Full Version : Smart gun = Dumb owner

CitizenBBN
02-20-2014, 11:33 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2014/02/20/first-smart-pistol-shelves-in-california/?intcmp=latestnews

Sorry, you have to be out of your mind to rely on a gun that uses RFID technology to operate. The whole thing makes so little sense.

The absolute #1 thing you want in a handgun or any gun is that it WORKS with absolute reliability. Obvious for home defense but also for hunting and even for target shooting. The most dangerous time at the range is when the gun doesn't go bang when you pull the trigger. That's when the gun will get held in odd ways to try to clear the weapon and fix it, that's when bad things happen. The thing you want from a gun safety wise as the operator is consistency.

Since it's wireless if someone takes it from you and you're right there it will still work for them, so forget it being 'safer" if you are attacked. You're not. Watch battery is out, you're toast. Gun battery out, you didn't check it? Toast. You want to have life and death on the turn of batteries and software and a good wireless connection?

The big argument is if it's stolen a smart gun can't be used by the criminal. Yeah but are you going to store the watch really far from the gun? Wear it all the time? More than likely they're stealing the watch too, then it works. If it doesn't it's not like it can't be hacked, or disassembled and configured to work without it depending on the design.

Then what are we going to do? Recall the other 300 million out there?

Then there is the accidental in home shooting. Yeah b/c kids are terrible at figuring out technology. Unless the watch is off premises a gun vault is far safer IMO.

My Samsung Galxy 4, which has sold in the millions, still has bugs. Mine keeps misplacing the SIM card till I reboot it. You want to tell the guy breaking in your house at 2am to stop for a minute so you can find your watch or reboot your gun?

Insanity. Get a gun that consistently goes bang and learn to handle it well. No smart guns, no rubber tipped chainsaws. Right tool for the job.

For a gun to be declared "safer" doesn't it need to be "safer" to the owner of the gun? The anti-gunners want a magic gun no criminal can use, and so do I, but I won't sacrifice my safety for it, esp. when like every other such idea it won't actually change anything.

CitizenBBN
02-20-2014, 11:40 PM
PS This one is RFID with a gun and watch, you have the watch within range and the gun works, out of range and it doesnt.

You want to hear the great irony? The watch you HAVE to wear that activates the gun? It's sold separately. I kid you not.

SgtBob
02-21-2014, 05:31 AM
These people are idiots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

suncat05
02-21-2014, 10:00 AM
This is all good in theory, and I appreciate the concept. But the reality of it is that this just is not going to work. There's too much added to the process & the actual equipment that can (and will!) go wrong.

1)Does it fit in your hand?
2)Is it simple to operate, especially under stress?
3)Does ease of use allow for simply acquiring a good sight picture and then squeezing the trigger?

Add anything else to that three step process and you've complicated the process way more than is reasonably necessary. And setting someone up to be a victim rather than a survivor. JMHO.

One other thing from me on this: the first person that gets murdered while trying to use this technology, their survivors should due the holy crap out of every no good politician that voted for this nonsense, and the same damn politician needs to be criminally charged with interfering with another's health & well being and causing the victim's unnecessary demise because of terrible legislation. Again, JMHO.

CitizenBBN
02-21-2014, 12:11 PM
I'm just glad I don't have money in these companies. Nothing short of a legal requirement to use them and a ban on everything else will get them sold as more than an oddity for the few people out there who want a gun but are simultaneously afraid of them, and most of them will have better sense.

If for no other reason than this one costs 3-4 times as much as a Glock once you buy the magic watch.

Of course that's the idea. Require this kind of technology in order to effect a near ban on handguns.

CatinIL
02-21-2014, 01:31 PM
I'll stick with my Colt .45...it does just fine.

suncat05
02-21-2014, 01:38 PM

You simply cannot go wrong with that!

CitizenBBN
02-21-2014, 02:32 PM

http://coolwatersprods.com/images/colt45WEB.jpg

KeithKSR
02-21-2014, 05:45 PM
This is a lawsuit waiting to happen. It is socioeconomic gun control.