PDA

View Full Version : America's 50 Best Cities/Lexington ranked 25th...

imsoblue
09-29-2012, 06:43 AM
http://images.businessweek.com/slideshows/2012-09-26/americas-50-best-cities#slide27

CitizenBBN
09-29-2012, 11:43 PM
It's a good city for its size, but for UK fans there's an extra bonus to being here that they can't understand.

MickintheHam
10-01-2012, 10:16 AM
I spent last Friday continuing to sample many of the new spots that have opened up downtown in the last few years, mostly along Jefferson and Short Streets. I can say for sure Nick Ryan's Saloon on Jefferson is a keeper that I have added to my list. For quality of dining and entertainment, Lexington takes a back seat to no one.

CitizenBBN
10-01-2012, 06:05 PM
Mick it's just plain blown up downtown. I frequent the Grey Goose across the street from Nick Ryan's. A bit more relaxed, super patio. Just a great neighborhood bar type place. They're opening another section there, and Nick Ryan's just expanded. West 6th Brewery is open up at the end of Jefferson.

It's awesome. Lexington has gone from being dead downtown to being able, as you said, to compete with anyone in it's weight class. There are 30 good choices all within a few blocks.

I'd never move farther out of downtown, only closer to the core. Now with Shorty's grocery open Lexington's downtown is a complete and appealing choice for an urban lifestyle.

blue2ksr
10-01-2012, 06:08 PM
I spent last Friday continuing to sample many of the new spots that have opened up downtown in the last few years, mostly along Jefferson and Short Streets. I can say for sure Nick Ryan's Saloon on Jefferson is a keeper that I have added to my list. For quality of dining and entertainment, Lexington takes a back seat to no one.

Nick Ryan's, huh?

I'll have to check it out when I have the chance. Is it a restaurant too or just a bar?

MickintheHam
10-01-2012, 06:19 PM
Nick Ryan's, huh?

I'll have to check it out when I have the chance. Is it a restaurant too or just a bar?
It is a restaurant with two bars inside. Outdoor seating for dinner was very comfortable even though the nighttime temp was in the low sixties. They have an aged sirloin on the menu that is very good along with a fish entree, the old Stirrup Cup Hot Brown, and many other entrees that looked very good. The Grey Goose that Citizen mentioned is more informal and laid back, but neither is a place where you would want to dress up.

Lots of great entertainment venues in Lex, but none I like better than the Tin Roof at Lime and Maxwell.

blue2ksr
10-01-2012, 06:24 PM
It is a restaurant with two bars inside. Seating for dinner was very comfortable even though the nighttime temp was in the low sixties. They have an aged sirloin on the menu that is very good along with a fish entree, the old Stirrup Cup Hot Brown, and many other entrees that looked very good. The Grey Goose that Citizen mentioned is more informal and laid back, but neither is a place where you would want to dress up.

Lots of great entertainment venues in Lex, but none I like better than the Tin Roof at Lime and Maxwell.

Appreciate that! You could write for Southern Living! I'll definitely check it out, maybe even this weekend. I like places where you don't have to "dress up"!

Catfan73
10-02-2012, 10:50 AM
Awesome news. The only thing the local Louisville media ever show about Lexington is stupid stuff like taking one burning couch and trying to make it look like the whole city's on fire. They had a blast the other day trying to make it look like no one anywhere was permitted to tailgate before the SC game. :rolleyes:

MickintheHam
10-02-2012, 07:10 PM
Awesome news. The only thing the local Louisville media ever show about Lexington is stupid stuff like taking one burning couch and trying to make it look like the whole city's on fire. They had a blast the other day trying to make it look like no one anywhere was permitted to tailgate before the SC game. :rolleyes:

That was my son's couch that was set afire on Elizabeth St. Who said it was stupid? Give me his name! LOL

CitizenBBN
10-02-2012, 09:37 PM
catfan - when you live in a fairly calm city they have to really sell the stories. lol.

Mick the sad part is whatever was left of the burned couches probably ended up back in student's apartments. I had one that looked like it had been used for catapult testing.