PDA

View Full Version : I am a proud Black American

Darrell KSR
02-06-2014, 02:17 PM
I must be, as I love fried chicken, cornbread and watermelon, the food that purportedly "angered" California parents when it was on the menu during Black History Month.

Maybe I'm missing some point here, I dunno.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/school-apologizes-black-history-lunch-menu-22395079

suncat05
02-06-2014, 03:05 PM
Not really believing that liking fried chicken, cornbread & watermelon is a "black thing" at all. I love that stuff! And I ain't nowhere close to being black, although there may be some 'Moorish' blood mixed in with that Sicilian ancestry there somewhere. Heck, Filipinos LOVE fried chicken, and I have that info from a reliable source. They have KFC over in the Philippines, big business there. They also have Max's, which is a homegrown fried chicken chain that originated in the Manila area. Excellent fried chicken.
Nope, not buying it that liking fried chicken, cornbread & watermelon is a "black thing".
Everybody I know loves all three!

Darrell KSR
02-06-2014, 03:15 PM
I don't mean to make light of it. I guess I did, after all. Just that I'm a big believer in picking and choosing your battles. Really--this angered you? Angered? Really? That's what you're going to fight about, what your children are fed?

Tell me that they're putting on blackface and doing a minstrel show, and I get the anger. Dressing up as Klansmen? Absolutely offensive. This?

Maybe it was how it was presented or something. I could be wrong.

suncat05
02-06-2014, 03:43 PM
Darrell, some people just look for stuff to be offended about. Myself, I agree with you, I just don't see any problem there.
As many times in my life as I have been called some names attributed to Sicilian/Italian Americans, well, it just doesn't upset me, and never has. Name call away, my skin is pretty thick. I actually laugh about it, because it is absurd to get upset about dumb stuff like that.
Anybody that gets bent out of shape over that stuff needs to find a good time consuming hobby and stick with it. They might learn something meaningful, like understanding and tolerance.

Now watch.........somebody is going to attack me. Wait for it.............

dan_bgblue
02-06-2014, 03:47 PM
So I guess they changed the lunch menu to a Big Mac, Large Fries and a diet Coke

UKHistory
02-06-2014, 04:44 PM
[QUOTE=Darrell KSR;151062]Maybe it was how it was presented or something.QUOTE]

My reading of the situation is that the school chose those specific foods to "honor" black history month. If you pick those foods specifically to celebrate black history month then I see a pretty stupid attemtp to honor people by referencing a stereotype.

Race is a sensitive topic. Some comedians point out that Black History month is celebrated in the shortest month of the year and that is considered a slight.

People will look for things to be offended about. I am very careful about what I say around groups. I genuinely don't want to offend people; I also know some people carry such a large chip on their shoulder that they are looking for a problem.

But honestly I think that food choice does not sound like a smart idea at all.

Had this been the food selection and not been associated with honoring Black history there is no problem. But it was a conscious choice to walk into that mind field.

Darrell KSR
02-06-2014, 04:56 PM
Interestingly, the Black Student Union only asked for watermelon to be removed from the menu.

Apparently it's only a dessert thing. ;).

I'd sure be disappointed. Although the school offers several different menu choices daily, I sure would have gone for the fried chicken and cornbread. Hate it for the chicken and cornbread lovers.

CitizenBBN
02-06-2014, 04:57 PM
As far as I can tell those foods as stereotypes came from Yankees who were exposed to southern blacks moving to the north for jobs and they didn't know that those are SOUTHERN foods, not particularly ethnic black foods.

I grew up on fried chicken and cornbread, the "Gospel Bird" was as true for white as black families throughout the south, and in an era without candy bars watermelon was a common dessert and snack. You always had watermelon after the picnic.

Doc
02-06-2014, 09:33 PM
did they offer Colt 45 malt liquor too?

CitizenBBN
02-06-2014, 09:58 PM

with special guest star Lando Calrissian?

http://images.uncyclomedia.co/uncyclopedia/en/e/e9/Lando_colt.jpg

Darrell KSR
02-07-2014, 09:44 AM
I guess I'd have to see the context.

Each day they offer 4 different menu items--something like a basic sandwich, an alternative wrap thing, a pizza offering, and a home cooked menu type item. I guess I can see if they say, "To Celebrate Black History Month, we will have their native food on X day," that's offensive to some. (Although "anger?" Really?)

I just think the wrong battle was chosen.

CitizenBBN
02-07-2014, 10:21 AM
Maybe it was Shake 'n bake? that would make me angry if they passed that off as fried chicken. ;)

KeithKSR
02-07-2014, 01:53 PM

Can't get Colt 45 in California, it sounds to much like a beer gun owners would drink.

KeithKSR
02-07-2014, 01:54 PM
My question is why aren't Italians up in arms over school pizza?

Doc
02-07-2014, 03:52 PM
My question is why aren't Italians up in arms over school pizza?

And don't forget TACO TUESDAY at Tijuana Flats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk