PDA

View Full Version : There's no pleasing some people

CitizenBBN
02-06-2014, 12:04 AM
or, just how afraid of guns can you get?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/02/05/chicago-area-school-officials-dont-like-no-guns-stickers-that-picture-guns/

School officials in a Chicago suburb are not thrilled with a state law passed last year requiring schools (http://southtownstar.suntimes.com/news/25301892-418/school-officials-are-no-fans-of-gun-ban-signs.html) to post a "no gun" sticker featuring an image of a handgun with a red slash through it.

Guns were already not allowed in schools before the law was passed, and now some school officials are worried the image on the warning sign might send the wrong message.
“One of my biggest concerns as a principal is safety and security,” Tinley Park High School Principal Theresa Nolan told the Southtown Star. “It is bothersome to have to post a sticker of a gun that says, ‘Hey, folks, leave your guns at home.'"
Nolan said she feared the image could be misinterpreted.

Misinterpreting a "no guns" sign how exactly? Maybe the best title is "stupid is as stupid does."

DanISSELisdaman
02-06-2014, 11:23 AM
What are they gonna do, grab the pistol off the sign and shoot someone with it?

suncat05
02-06-2014, 11:48 AM
You know guys, some people are just friggin' stupid, so basically they can't help themselves. And there's getting to be a lot more of them than there is of us these days!

Doc
02-06-2014, 12:06 PM
Nolan said she feared the image could be misinterpreted.

Really? How does one misinterpret a hand gun with a red slash thru it? I guess it could be seen as "NO PISTOLS but automatic rifles are fine", but then you would have to be a total idiot to see it in that manner.

CitizenBBN
02-06-2014, 01:44 PM
Really? How does one misinterpret a hand gun with a red slash thru it? I guess it could be seen as "NO PISTOLS but automatic rifles are fine", but then you would have to be a total idiot to see it in that manner.

I'm stuck on that comment too Doc. The only interpretation I have is that the person in question is really that stupid.

The red circle/slash is a global standard for NO, and has been in use in the US since the 1970s or earlier. It's the single most communicative and hard to misinterpret thing they could possibly have put on those stickers, but b/c it's a picture of a gun it somehow obviates the big red slash through it to people? I don't get it, but it is consistent with the mentality of suspending a kid for a pop tart shaped like a gun.

Yep, I think they're just that stupid. Some people really are that dumb. I've met a few of them. Several of them are big stars in Hollywood.