PDA

View Full Version : Hearing rumblings and hopefully some one can sort it out...

Jelleyjr
09-28-2012, 04:00 AM
I recieved a message from my good friend, knows some one in athletics department at UK. I know everyone "knows" some one, but I am not saying this is solid. He did however tell me about Jasper transferring WAY before he actually did. Anyways, his statement was that Joker WILL be fired at the end of the season, and three replacements have been mentioned (This one I think is BUNK) Phillip Fulmer, Chuck Martin, and Kirby Smart. Kirby Smart is one of the top coordinators in the country and currently is at All-Da-Bubbas (Alabama). Highly doubtful UK could land him. Also, been hearing rumblings about Towles wanting to transfer, because he has been dominating Newton in training camps and was disappointed about not being given an equal opportunity (which is expected from freshmen). So gurus, have you been hearing this as well? Or is my friend just full of it?? Thanks!

Catonahottinroof
09-28-2012, 06:52 AM
Fulmer and Barnhart are friends from Barnharts UT days. I also think he has some loyalty to UT even after being fired. He would be similar to Brooks in my mind and may be nothing more than an advisor to find a candidate.
Kirby Smart is a great choice, and 0 chance he will be in Commonwealth without being there as coach of the opponent.
Chuck Martin would be a good choice. Young guy and successful at every coaching stop.

dan_bgblue
09-28-2012, 08:46 AM
I think that the Towles situation is a little over blown. I do not believe he is considering transfer at this time. One of the latest rumors floating around on the coaching front is that Coach Phillips has been told by the UK admin he will be back for the 2013-2014 season.

Gonna be a lot of stuff floating around until official announcements are made one way or the other on both situations. :(

Darrell KSR
09-28-2012, 09:31 AM
a) I see no way Joker Phillips will be coaching next season. Would take a turnaround by the team I don't think they can do.

b) Interesting coaching candidates. I'm told no way Kirby Smart would go to Kentucky. Don't think Phil Fulmer would, either.

c) I think Towles will enjoy playing for another coach, but I'm not sure they fully understand what a good decision Joker Phillips is actually making not sacrificing his season this year. While I think Towles > Newton, I'd have Newton playing over Towles this year simply to put a year's separation between him and Maxwell Smith. I don't think Towles > Smith today.

The question to me is whether Towles > Whitlow today. I don't think he is, but even if he is, I'm ok with Whitlow, with some added dimensions he has, being # 2. Or # 3. Still confused over the metrics on this one.

Catfan73
09-28-2012, 09:50 AM
I hadn't heard Chuck Martin's name before but he looks intriguing. It looks like he followed Brian Kelly at Grand Valley State, going 74-7 in 6 years. He apparently left there to rejoin Kelly at Notre Dame, probably with an eye on moving up the coaching ladder. Might be a good fit, and hopefully it would work out better than the last time UK hired a ND assistant, John Ray.

Martin's bio from Notre Dame: http://www.und.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/martin_chuck00.html

fastkat
09-28-2012, 02:56 PM
I remember John Ray and that's enough to scare me away from a coordinator from ND;)

As far as putting a year between Smith and Towles the RS is a good thing but I wouldn't be surprised if next years competition is between Towles and Whitlow. Smith's injury might be a career ender for a QB. I know treatments today are probably better than the rub some dirt on it and go out and hit somebody that we had in the early 70's but I had the same injury in HS and I couldn't take a hit on my right without my shoulder popping out of socket. It still bothers me today.

Badinage
09-28-2012, 03:50 PM
a) I see no way Joker Phillips will be coaching next season. Would take a turnaround by the team I don't think they can do.

Coaching period or coaching at UK? Because, I have heard in Louisville that Strong would love to land Joker on his staff as a position coach.

truecatsfan
09-28-2012, 07:20 PM
What about Mark Stoops, man i love this guys passion. We need a defensive minded coach

dan_bgblue
09-28-2012, 07:37 PM
Bad, if UL has a good season this year odds are Strong will be forming a new staff some where else.

Darrell KSR
09-28-2012, 09:26 PM
Coaching period or coaching at UK? Because, I have heard in Louisville that Strong would love to land Joker on his staff as a position coach.

At UK.

Lfbj00
09-29-2012, 01:09 AM

Bad, I've been hearing the same thing here from some pretty reliable people. I'm a little torn about that thought....

chroix
09-29-2012, 09:21 PM
Jim Tressel?

Jelleyjr
09-30-2012, 12:42 AM
Like I've stated before, take it for what it's worth. In college, basketball, football, whatever, coaches like recruits change their minds day in and out. Would like to have either Smart or Martin, really doubtful about Fulmer (in reality DO NOT WANT!!), hopefully whoever does come in here is better than what we have in place. Don't get me wrong, Joker LOVES being here, but sometimes we all know that a coordinator some times just does not pan out as a head football coach. Some of the best coordinators do not do well as the head man. Look at one of the best defensive minds in the country in his day (Buddy Ryan), was HORRIBLE as a the head man! Norv Turner, great coordinator, HORRIBLE coach, same with Wandstadt! I wish Joker the best, especially this year, but just do not see it happening! Thanks for the input Darrel and Co, I will try to get my money situation together and become full time premie!! LOL! Until then, I will have to just be on the freebie board!

JelleyJr!!