PDA

View Full Version : I do not want to offend anyone, but this disgusts me

dan_bgblue
02-03-2014, 09:27 PM
Do not be proud to be an American, you might offend someone (http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/02/03/todd-starnes-cant-celebrate-america-school-says/)

CitizenBBN
02-03-2014, 10:08 PM
Saw that and Think it proves every bad thing I believe about far too many "educators" in the US school system, esp. the administrators.

The really perverse thing is they are required to celebrate Cinco de Mayo. Those administrators should be drug into the public square, put in stocks, and pelted with rotten fruit.

KeithKSR
02-03-2014, 11:37 PM
Afraid to offend others? We spend too much time worrying about offending others, which is an offense against Americans.

Doc
02-04-2014, 06:33 AM
I understand the point but find the hypocrisy stunning. They allowed PJ day and Twin day. I sleep in the nude hence PJ day would be something I could not participate in and would feel left out. Likewise, I don't have a twin thus that too is something I would be left out of and hence be offended. We need to get out outrage synched! [/sarcasm]

suncat05
02-04-2014, 08:53 AM
Saw that and Think it proves every bad thing I believe about far too many "educators" in the US school system, esp. the administrators.

The really perverse thing is they are required to celebrate Cinco de Mayo. Those administrators should be drug into the public square, put in stocks, and pelted with rotten fruit.

I have an even better idea. It involves a gallows on the county courthouse lawn, and lots of good, sturdy rope. That is the correct way to deal with traitors.

CitizenBBN
02-04-2014, 12:45 PM
I understand the point but find the hypocrisy stunning.

Usually that's where I am but in this case I don't even get the point.

If I move to Germany I expect those around me to be proud of Germany and celebrate Germany and have Germany Day. I have no idea why I should be offended. I CHOSE to be in Germany, why would I come with the conceited assumption they need to be less Germany or restrain showing their pride in Germany b/c I moved there?

Do we cancel the 4th of July parade in that town b/c some British citizens may be offended?

It's utter and complete nonsense. The fact they celebrate Cinco de Mayo only adds insult to the massive injury in my view.

Doc
02-04-2014, 02:00 PM
Usually that's where I am but in this case I don't even get the point.

If I move to Germany I expect those around me to be proud of Germany and celebrate Germany and have Germany Day. I have no idea why I should be offended. I CHOSE to be in Germany, why would I come with the conceited assumption they need to be less Germany or restrain showing their pride in Germany b/c I moved there?

Do we cancel the 4th of July parade in that town b/c some British citizens may be offended?

It's utter and complete nonsense. The fact they celebrate Cinco de Mayo only adds insult to the massive injury in my view.

I'm sure you realize I was being sarcastic. I just wanted to alert everybody I sleep in the buff.

As to your point, I agree. If you are offended, why are you here?

CitizenBBN
02-04-2014, 02:07 PM
I'm sure you realize I was being sarcastic. I just wanted to alert everybody I sleep in the buff.

As to your point, I agree. If you are offended, why are you here?

Oh yeah I knew. About the sarcasm, not you sleeping in the nude. :)

Usually I can see how some would worry about being offended, administrators just covering their butts and trying to play it safe, but I don't think you or I or anyone else can see any logic behind this one, even the cowering and afraid to do what's right reason doesn't fly here IMO. Who can possibly be offended about expressing support for the country you're standing in, and if someone is why on Earth would you take such a view seriously?

You don't want kids dressing up and showing support for your own country? Jeez, you should be thrilled. They didn't ask for Bieber day or Paris Hilton day or whatever, they asked for a patriotic day. I'd offer to bring the snacks if I were that administrator.

Doc
02-04-2014, 02:08 PM
I suspect Beiber day or Hilton day would have both been deemed acceptable. After all, who would be offended if a bunch of HS kids dressed up as a spoiled punk wanna be canadian gangsta or a horn dog heiress who would film herself doing sexual acts for the world to see? Why not Miley Monday where everybody runs around "twerking" and smokin dope.

MTcatfan
02-04-2014, 02:24 PM
Right now schools are the worst. The administrators only care about CYA so they don't allow anyone to do anything because someone, somewhere might get pissed, and then miss the irony that when you behave this way you usually end up pissing off more people than if you just ignored it and let it go. I mean really there are so many examples of just stupid administrators making the dumbest decisions, suspend the kid for making a gun with his finger, sexual harassment for hugging a teacher, suspending a kid for bringing a toy soldier to school, kid suspended for a lego having a gun in its hand, etc. Heck the high school here banned carrying books around school in a book bag, I guess because it will deter a school shooter if they can't have a back pack in school...:533:

ram
02-04-2014, 07:08 PM
As a former administrator (23 years), there are times when it is necessary to CYA....Those that complain about doing so would do the same if their house was on the line. A person would be stupid NOT to abide by district policy or law. On the other hand, there are times such as this when LIKELY there is no district policy or law prohibiting having such days of celebration. A good administrator makes a logical, reasonable decision. Looking only at the story, I see no reason for disallowing a patriotism day.

Schools are not the problem with our country. They do not dictate policy or set societal norms. In fact, schools respond to what is accepted by society. The problems in our schools are directly a result of problems in our society, particularly those that have negatively impacted the family.

As a Christian, people feel safe in saying things like, "Our country went to hell when they took prayer out of schools". My response is our country went to hell when our society allowed prayer to be taken out of schools..... On the other hand, I can assure you there is still a lot of prayer going on in those offices and classrooms. Real, true Christian prayer.

dan_bgblue
02-04-2014, 08:24 PM
Excellent post ram.

It is easy to blame the schools as we see the end results of actions by the voting public when we get reports like this.