PDA

View Full Version : Coaches Constantly Hating on Kentucky as Recruiting Pitch

imsoblue
09-27-2012, 03:23 PM
569Coach John Calipari has often spoke of coaches who talk negatively about other schools and try to recruit against other schools, rather recruit the player.

SI.com’s Jason Jordan has spoke to several top recruits and got examples of how college coaches have recruited against other schools by talking negatively about them.

These examples are from Kentucky’s Nerlens Noel and recruit Julius Randle.

Nerlens Noel agreed.

He recalled a conversation with a college coach during his recruitment process who urged him not to let money play a factor in luring him to Kentucky. Noel, a center, eventually picked the Wildcats.

“I was shocked that he would say something crazy like that,” said Noel, the No. 2 player in the Rivals150 last season.

“Of course I would never accept money and of course Kentucky never offered me money, but to hear that from him turned me off. I didn’t hold it against him because I know coaches get jealous at times. I just look at it like they’re really just insecure about themselves.”

Randle came to the same conclusion.

As the top ranked player in the Rivals150, Randle has had to deal with “an unreal amount” of negative recruiting tactics. Some coaches said that Duke and North Carolina didn’t properly develop players, while others said Kentucky was too crowded.

“It’s crazy,” Randle said. “But I have a mind of my own. Every school has pros and cons and the same school that’s dissing a certain school isn’t talking about their cons. I look at it as the coaches just hating.”
link (http://www.nationofblue.com/coaches-constantly-hating-on-kentucky-as-recruiting-pitch/)

Darrell KSR
09-27-2012, 06:00 PM
Love the article--not just for the initial point, which is that UK is falsely accused because others are jealous, which is great.

But also for the slight shot at North Carolina and Duke--notice those two schools are the ones who fail to develop players. Not Kentucky. At Kentucky, we're just popular and "crowded."

Guess recruits recognize a good thing when they see it, huh?

cattails
09-28-2012, 07:36 AM
When you set on the top of the mountain they want to bring you down. Kind of like when we were kids (those old enough) King of the Hill was a game we played. Getting the top of the hill was the game and keeping it. The fact that they have to go so low is a testament to the greatness of UK.

DanISSELisdaman
09-29-2012, 12:58 PM
To suggest that a kid would be lured to play for a school for money is an insult to the kid. Not that it don't happen in some cases, but not knowing whether it has happened in a particular case or not and still suggesting it, would turn most kids off IMO.

Krank
09-29-2012, 03:34 PM
In other news, Planet Earth was not created in seven days.

Seriously though, hasn't this phenomenon been something UK coaches have had to deal with for, I dunno, 100 years?

I have always found it interesting that, in a realm with so much bravado, testosterone, and manly pronouncements about "the integrity of the game", "fair play", etc. that there might be nobody more shallow, dishonest, and COWARDLY (read "SISSY") than CERTAIN college coaches.

I mean, REALLY, if you are going to act all tough and strict with your players, preaching about "the right way" to play a sport, etc., then perhaps you should put on your hard hat and GET BACK TO BEING A FREAKING ADULT MALE like the rest of us.

Any resemblance that this post has to any past, present, or future posts that belittle North Carolina's Dirty Roy Williams and target him as one of the most OBVIOUS SISSY coaches in all of the NCAA is entirely.... ACCURATE.

DanISSELisdaman
09-29-2012, 10:05 PM
Man up Krank and go ahead and pull the gloves off. :p

Krank
09-29-2012, 11:19 PM
Dan, it's good to see you.

Are you ready for the quest for, as I believe the bossman put it... "Number NINE, Number NINE, Number NINE" ?

The clock is about to tick over to October, my man...

Madness is coming.

DanISSELisdaman
09-30-2012, 08:55 PM
Yeah, I'm feeling it Krankster. I go mad about this time every year. Can't help it and don't want to help it.

SalsaKat
10-02-2012, 02:44 PM
In other news, Planet Earth was not created in seven days.

Yeahduh it was six DON'T YOU KNOW SCIENCE?!?!

Krank
10-02-2012, 03:09 PM
Yeahduh it was six DON'T YOU KNOW SCIENCE?!?!

I think I met that guy once... Billnye Science... weird name.

dan_bgblue
10-02-2012, 03:39 PM
Been in sales since 75, in one form or another, and the success rate of salesmen when they make a pitch that includes negative comments about their competition, their close rate goes way down. Refrain from mentioning the competition if possible, but if pulled into a discussion of them, stay non committal about their attributes and profess a certain amount of ignorance of the competition explaining that you concentrate on helping to make your company the best they can be and do not have time to monitor your competition.

edited to add that all of us, every single one, is in sales every day. We sell ourselves as persons to other people on the phone, thru emails, posts on message boards, etc.

Krank
10-02-2012, 04:24 PM
Been in sales since 75, in one form or another, and the success rate of salesmen when they make a pitch that includes negative comments about their competition, their close rate goes way down. Refrain from mentioning the competition if possible, but if pulled into a discussion of them, stay non committal about their attributes and profess a certain amount of ignorance of the competition explaining that you concentrate on helping to make your company the best they can be and do not have time to monitor your competition.

edited to add that all of us, every single one, is in sales every day. We sell ourselves as persons to other people on the phone, thru emails, posts on message boards, etc.

Dang it, Dan. Do you have any idea how many YEARS of editing I am going to have to go back and do now???

dan_bgblue
10-02-2012, 04:34 PM
Kind sir, I think you have done an admirable job of selling the real person for years!

blueboss
10-02-2012, 08:30 PM
Well ain't this a hoot!!! Some of my favorite BBN brethren emptying the clip, this board is going to be just fine after all, I'm not sure why I ever doubted it in a previous whinny thread that I started in haste.

These guys obviously missed the part where "if you don't have something nice to say about somebody well you should just put your head back up your as" wait, wait, wait, that's not how it goes but these rival coaches that are using negativity in recruiting these young kids makes it awfully hard to keep our parents proud. These guys going up against Cal in recruiting are in the deep end treading water as fast as they can and Cal's on the edge of the pool handing them concrete blocks. They're sinking fast and they're spewing whatever they can to get a life line. The only time in recent history when Ky as a program wasn't getting lambasted was when BCG was coach, by the way who was the sales guy on that one? Talk about ice cubes and Eskimos and all of that....

We know we are at our rightful place high atop the basketball mountain when we are being portrayed as the bad guy so go ahead and bring it. Cal tells his recruits that KY isn't for everybody, well that goes the same for us fans, being a UK fan isn't for everybody if you can't stand the pressure buy some sissy blue under pants or get a tattoo of a bird or something on your neck.

Now lets do this and fill the empty space in the case...