PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a CPAP machine at night?

blue2ksr
08-15-2012, 12:56 PM
I recently spent the night for a sleep test at a sleep clinic in Nashville, and the results showed that I need some help breathing at night. I am headed back to spend the night again in order to get "fitted" for a machine and such.

Anyone here have any experience with a CPAP?

elicat
08-15-2012, 09:14 PM
Yep. Being doing it since 2001. It's no big deal, especially with a newer machine like they have now.

Just don't rush the mask fitting. There are a lot of different options, and an uncomfortable one is at least as bad for the quantity and quality of your sleep as the sleep apnea is.

CGWildcat
08-15-2012, 11:17 PM
Been living with one since Fall of '09. I sleep better, dream better, and longer than I have for over 20 years. I agree with elicat, ensure that fitting goes well. Took me about 4 months to finally really find the one for me.........now....I fall asleep within a couple minutes and sleep great....even use it for naps!

Darrell KSR
08-15-2012, 11:34 PM
There is an advertisement for the machines on our church bulletin. I don't know why, but EVERY time I see it, I read, "CRAP."

I hope that doesn't say something about me as I'm walking out of church...

ukblue
08-15-2012, 11:49 PM
Ever what your CPAP number is, 10 for example, have them program your machine to start off at a 4 or 5 setting and then ramp up to your 10 setting over a 10 minute delay. Really makes mine easier to go to sleep with the damn thing on.

blue2ksr
08-16-2012, 06:02 PM
Well, I did it.

I spent the night last night, wearing a "nose pillow" thing that seemed to work well after a while. At first, I thought I was going to smother, as they told me to breathe in and out of my nose, of course, and not my mouth. It was so weird, but it got better after a few minutes like they said it would.

I got an "Auto Pap", which adjusts the pressure automatically, as that is what the Doctor thinks I need.

We'll see!!

CitizenBBN
08-17-2012, 12:18 AM
Should probably wear one. Went to a sleep doctor for what can only be described as very dysfunctional sleep patterns. Fought them my whole life. He wanted to do the full study and felt I would need one. It's also possible my dad died from sleep apnea.

I don't though. I don't encourage my approach, quite the contrary. Maybe I'll warm up to it at some point.