PDA

View Full Version : Google Playstore: 25 BILLION downloads, announces $0.25 sale for apps

Darrell KSR
09-27-2012, 09:18 AM
Terrific sale on for android users right now. In honor of 25 billion downloads, Google is offering a $0.25 sale on some very popular apps.

I picked up Office Suite Pro 6+, normally $14.99, for $0.25 this morning, as well as Runtastic Pro (normally $3.99) for the same quarter-dollar. They have super-premium versions of Angry Birds, other premium type games, etc.

Check it out.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/collection/promotion_celebrate_25_billion

KSRBEvans
09-27-2012, 11:14 AM
I'm very disappointed in the iPhone 5 shortage, and I'm toying with the idea of just getting a Galaxy S3 instead since it's supposedly a better phone, anyway. One thing that was holding me back is having to start over the with paid apps I have on my iPhone. This gives me something to think about.

Darrell KSR
09-27-2012, 11:53 AM
FWIW, many/most apps I own are free on my android. I have paid for very few.

Kindle, free, dropbox, sugarsync free, iheartradio, pandora free, all my score update apps, my keeping score apps, my scanning or scan and shopping apps, Angry Birds, Drivesmart apps, even my Golf GPS for all courses (distance to the pin) apps, Google navigation (better than my Magellan, my Tom-Tom, and my Navigon) all free.

Ones I can remember paying for before this--Tweetcaster Pro (free version with ads works fine, Pro version $4.99; but I am a prolific twitter user), DroidTV primetime (my one "vice"), which is now $8.99 every 3 months for a subscription, and CarLocator, , for $3.99, my favorite GPS locator for car location in busy parking lots, strange football/basketball parking areas, etc. I think I paid for one Scanning app once, but I liked a free scanner better, IIRC. The DroidTV app I use about daily. It has a couple hundred TV series available for download. You download the ones you want at your convenience, and then watch them "whenever." There is no buffering or delaying, because they are already downloaded to your phone. My wife requires more sleep than I do, and this does not disturb her, as I watch TV while she sleeps, with earphones on. Go on a campout with my son, and you're in the middle of the woods, and not sleepy at 9pm--watch two episodes of commercial-free Law & Order: SVU, or a short South Park episode, etc.

It was a shock to me to get the Blackberry Playbook (which I LOVE as a tablet), and have to pay for the best quality apps. I wasn't used to it.

Google is google--they're funny, but they do a lot of things right. This $0.25 sale only features some of their top apps, but it's a steal (I just downloaded the "Tasks" app for that price, which coordinates with the Google Tasks, and has an incredible 4.8 rating out of 5.0 out of thousands of apps. Heck, you can't get a 4.8 rating for free money; there are always a few nuts that rate something 1.0 because they don't like their phone, or something.) Anyway, two caveats here--a) there are not many apps that are on this list--check them out at the link--but there are a few very good ones. I love the 3 I bought, and b) no time is designated for when the sale may end. With Google, who knows?

Hard to go away from the iPhone for you diehard users. It's a great phone. There are reasons why there are lines to get it.

But I know this--you couldn't pay me to have an iPhone over what I have now. But I'm a weird bird, and as much as I have tried--and I have tried many, many ways--to like the virtual keyboards, Swype software (also free), etc., I love my physical keyboard. I have the Samsung phone that's not at all like the iPhone (Galaxy S3 is much more "like it,"), the "new" Sidekick 4g.

Good luck with the choices. You won't break the bank buying apps on android no matter what.

KSRBEvans
10-02-2012, 07:00 AM
I decided to order an iPhone, but it was very close between it and the Galaxy SIII. I think the SIII is probably the better phone overall, but we've pretty much made a complete move to Apple and I wanted the integration you get with Apple products. A friend of mine got his iPhone about a week early, so I'm hoping I get mine soon, too.

Darrell KSR
10-02-2012, 07:29 AM
Think it was a good decision. I'm so integrated with Google, use it for Google docs, drive, calendar, maps, etc. it's sickening.

MickintheHam
10-02-2012, 08:17 AM
Think it was a good decision. I'm so integrated with Google, use it for Google docs, drive, calendar, maps, etc. it's sickening.

With all the dope Google has on you Darrell, you'll never be able to run for public office. :cool:

Darrell KSR
10-03-2012, 08:10 PM
This is true.