PDA

View Full Version : The Olympics coming up in Russia

badrose
01-20-2014, 12:07 PM
just looks like a disaster waiting to happen to me. A real volatile mix of elements. TPTB never miss an opportunity. Just thinking out loud.

Doc
01-20-2014, 12:42 PM
I love the Olympics and hate when "politics" becomes involved. It does offer terrorists a prime target

CitizenBBN
01-20-2014, 03:27 PM
The fact that they're having the winter olympics in Florida and hhave had to store 16 million tons of snow along with 100s of snow making machines and literally digging trenches to gather what snow may hit the mountains is not a good start IMO. Add in the terrorism and it ought to be very interesting.

dan_bgblue
01-20-2014, 03:41 PM
Not sure what Florida has to do with it, but a few of the events like water cannon vs tear gas throwing and protesters running vs being squashed by tanks should be worth watching.

CitizenBBN
01-20-2014, 06:06 PM
Not sure what Florida has to do with it, but a few of the events like water cannon vs tear gas throwing and protesters running vs being squashed by tanks should be worth watching.

That area is referred to by some as "the Florida of Russia". It's a sub-tropical vacation spot, not a winter wonderland.

dan_bgblue
01-20-2014, 08:13 PM
I need to get out more

Darrell KSR
01-20-2014, 08:16 PM
I need to get out more

Should go to Florida.

Sent using Forum Runner

CitizenBBN
01-20-2014, 09:21 PM
Should go to Florida.

Sent using Forum Runner

Bring your own snow. Putin does.

The city is a summer resort town for Muscovites, and is really a conquered city captured when the Russians fought the Caucisan war. It's poor, Soviet era, on the cusp of an increasingly dangerous region. Here's a pretty good article onthe place:
http://www.theatlanticcities.com/neighborhoods/2013/12/florida-russia-cheaper/7789/

The place has freaking palm trees. Putin has basically built a new city there just next to Sochi I doubt anyone including US vierws see the real area. We'll see.

suncat05
01-21-2014, 09:42 AM
They couldn't hold the WINTER OLYMPICS someplace where, oh, I don't know, where there would be lots of snow, cold, and ice, like maybe SIBERIA? I'm just sayin'..............