PDA

View Full Version : True Detectives

badrose
01-13-2014, 11:47 AM
It's on HBO. Great acting and casting. It's a bit dark, but has moments of naturally occurring humor. It stars Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey playing detectives on a gruesome ritualistic murder. Kids shouldn't watch. First episode was last night but there will be more airings of it before the 2nd airs. Just a heads up.

uklandrn
01-14-2014, 02:05 PM
Have it DVR'd. Hope to watch it with the husband tomorrow night. Can't be doing anything tonight but watching my Cats beat Arkansas.

Scout714
01-16-2014, 06:46 AM
I watched the first episode again last night at work. (It takes a second viewing for me to figure out what's what). I thought it was very well done.

bigsky
01-17-2014, 11:07 PM
Sssslllllooooowwwww

badrose
01-20-2014, 12:28 PM
Yeah, not your typical run-through in a whodunnit. The producers admit up front it's more about the process than solving the crimes. The characters are heavily flawed and the system bogs them down. To me it seems quite authentic.

suncat05
01-21-2014, 08:36 AM
I have known a cop or two just like both of those guys. But I have never known any officer that spent 4 years deep undercover. I did it for almost a year and was so relieved when I finally came back out into the real world. But 4 years? No wonder he's out there with some of the things he says and does.

Anyone that spends too long under like that loses their real identity, and their humanity. That's why most officers can't do it for that long. And shouldn't. Again, JMHO.

Scout714
02-11-2014, 01:35 PM
Just saw the Biker bar episode and all I can say is WOW. HBO shows might start "sssssllllllloooooowwwwwww" but the payoffs....It's all about the payoffs. McConaughey and Harrelson are two of our finest actors in their prime. When you combine that talent with HBO's capacity to let shows develop it's must see TV.

Darrell KSR
02-11-2014, 01:38 PM
I have known a cop or two just like both of those guys. But I have never known any officer that spent 4 years deep undercover. I did it for almost a year and was so relieved when I finally came back out into the real world. But 4 years? No wonder he's out there with some of the things he says and does.

Anyone that spends too long under like that loses their real identity, and their humanity. That's why most officers can't do it for that long. And shouldn't. Again, JMHO.

Good insight.

suncat05
02-12-2014, 10:52 AM
Very good show. And I am usually not one to watch those types of shows because I have lived it. But the pair of McConaughey & Harrellson picq
ued my interest right away. And yeah, this last episode was all business, and it'll be building from there.
All of the interviewing scenes are to build the story, and it requires some patience to work through that tedious process, but the final result will most likely be worth the wait.
I also had a lot of memories go through my head when they visited Dorie's ex in prison. That was classic "good cop - bad cop" stuff there, and Cohle's answer to his question as they were leaving his cell was a knife straight through the heart and then twisted, and considering the overall circumstances was about as straight an answer as you could ever give a guy like that under those circumstances.

suncat05
02-15-2014, 07:20 AM
Whoa! The whole going back to Texas and then going into a housing project to steal their dope is just a little bit out there, especially since that is the only way they have of getting to their murder suspect. That is some far out stuff there.

suncat05
02-24-2014, 07:24 AM
'Ol Marty just can't keep it at home. But then Maggie is no prize either. And after she intentionally put herself in the middle of a strained working relationship between Marty & Rustin, well, I'd be very hesitant to have anything to do with her.
Two wrongs do not make a right.

Religion & politics & murder & odd people sure do make for a good story. Throw in the locale of Louisiana and you have a very interesting story line.

badrose
02-24-2014, 09:33 AM
It's a great story with a lot of detailed inside look at the characters. Most of us never get to see the under belly of humanity and this gives a great POV. I haven't watched last night's episode yet but I know it will leave me wanting more.

suncat05
02-24-2014, 10:11 AM
The interviews, the background of each interview segment are very detailed. So are the depictions of the actual investigative work.
Most people get caught up in the 45 minute "solve the crime quickly" environment of nertwork TV. In actuality real investigations take a lot of time and lots of leg work talking to lots of people. And if you're thorough and can keep an open mind you can learn lots of things about a case or even other cases.
Field and interview notes are critical. So are crime scene pictures, as well as any other photographic evidence that may be available. But the interviews and any crime scene evidence are usually what makes a good case.

KMSBball
02-26-2014, 09:29 AM
Love True Detective. Will be sorry to see it end after 2 more episodes.

Since they're going to change the actors each year, I'm wondering who'll they'll get for next year's show?

suncat05
02-27-2014, 11:11 AM
Love True Detective. Will be sorry to see it end after 2 more episodes.

Since they're going to change the actors each year, I'm wondering who'll they'll get for next year's show?

So new actors come in next season with a new story? Hmmmmm, that will be interesting.

Scout714
02-27-2014, 01:40 PM
I loved the scene where Marty "met" the two boys who were with his daughter. Innocent of any real crime but in a world of trouble. Does that really happen???

Scout714
02-27-2014, 01:43 PM
One of my favorites

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_HuFuKiq8U

suncat05
02-27-2014, 02:25 PM
I loved the scene where Marty "met" the two boys who were with his daughter. Innocent of any real crime but in a world of trouble. Does that really happen???

Yes. And probably more than you want to know.

And they're not innocent if anybody's clothes were on the floor and there was any coitus in progress. And I do believe that is what Marty was told by the deputy that found them, which he then told Maggie.

badrose
02-28-2014, 08:20 AM
Well, the previews for this Sunday's episode are intriguing. What could possibly be so bad to freak Harrellson's character out so much after all he'd already experienced and seen?

Scout714
02-28-2014, 10:34 AM
QUOTE=suncat05;158626]Yes. And probably more than you want to know.

And they're not innocent if anybody's clothes were on the floor and there was any coitus in progress. And I do believe that is what Marty was told by the deputy that found them, which he then told Maggie.[/QUOTE]

I say innocent because they looked to be about 18 or 19 year old boys who were with a more than willing 17 year old girl. Think back to when you were that age and tell me you haven't done worse. I sure have. Regardless, the punishment shouldn't be a near fatal beating while in jail by a crazy detective/father. (but it makes for some good TV LOL)

suncat05
02-28-2014, 11:32 AM
Been in a physical confrontation or two, but never one involving my daughter, and certainly not for that reason. And I didn't agree with or condone Marty's actions, although I can understand his frame of mind, given the circumstances. And even though she is still living under his roof, at her age she is responsible for her actions, and she also shouldn't be pissing off Pops. She's the one who should have toted a whuppin' back to the house, not those boys.
Don't agree with what happened to Reggie LeDoux either, but I can see the point of view that says he got what he deserved. Not right, wouldn't do that myself, but I do see the end result being exactly what he deserved.

UKHistory
02-28-2014, 04:31 PM
Love the show. Woody's character beating up those boys in jail is one reason I have my own concerns with law enforecement.

I appreciate people protecting the public. But this is an example of not protecting the public but abusing one's authority and behaving like a thug.

Most laws make sense and I do my best to follow them. But it is damn shame that I need to be afraid of the cops as much as I am criminals.

Scout714
02-28-2014, 07:22 PM
For what it's worth.....just noticed in the scene where Marty shot Reggie in the head he DID NOT have a spiral tattooed on his back? I thought his jail cell mate said he did have the tattoo as a sign of devil worship.

suncat05
03-01-2014, 06:31 AM
History, just as there is good in every other segment of society, there is also bad. And that especially goes to everyone in law enforcement. We, in that very small group, are supposed to be the good example for others to follow.
But sometimes it just isn't like that. I understand your concerns, and I agree with you. But for the few that are bad, there are many more that are the good that you look to when needed. I don't know what else I can offer you but that.

UKHistory
03-03-2014, 02:12 PM
I got you. The bad decisions are what we read and hear about. Hard working men and women doing their jobs right won't get reported. That is a real shame.

I also have concerns about government infringing on my rights--a separate but related issue. Police are in a war and that can negatively affect even the best of people.

But sincerely a true thanks to you and other good law enforcement officials for literally putting their lives in harm's way to keep us safe.

History, just as there is good in every other segment of society, there is also bad. And that especially goes to everyone in law enforcement. We, in that very small group, are supposed to be the good example for others to follow.
But sometimes it just isn't like that. I understand your concerns, and I agree with you. But for the few that are bad, there are many more that are the good that you look to when needed. I don't know what else I can offer you but that.

suncat05
03-03-2014, 02:47 PM
History, the thanks goes to good citizens like you and the rest of the folks here for supporting law enforcement and our military. Without the support of all of you we couldn't accomplish our missions of protecting lives & property and our country.
I'm just doing what God and my parents pointed me in the right direction to do. But thank you for your support.

suncat05
03-03-2014, 03:17 PM
Well, the previews for this Sunday's episode are intriguing. What could possibly be so bad to freak Harrellson's character out so much after all he'd already experienced and seen?
Apparently Cohle came into possession of a video of this alleged cult group doing something to a young girl, but it did not show what. And maybe it made Marty have a flashback of when he investigated some meth head putting his baby in a microwave to "dry it" after it got wet. That is why he screamed like he did.
I might have too. Even after all of these years on the job and after all of the things I've seen, I still can't stomach the thought of somebody doing something bad to a child.

badrose
03-10-2014, 10:44 AM
I'll just say I'd come to expect 'awesome' and it exceeded that. Brav-freaking-o!

suncat05
03-10-2014, 12:05 PM
Quite an ending, wasn't it? I had a feeling about that groundskeeper guy the first time I saw him, and it was reinforced when the 2nd team of detectives stopped to get directions from him. The scenes inside that hidden fortress, or church, or whatever that old building was, was pretty intense too.
This was just a very well done show. Way out of the ordinary, at least to me.
And as it turned out, once they figured out that more crimes were happening after they killed Reggie Ledeux, they approached like it needed to be done.
I also read an article with the producer Nick Pizzalato (sp?) where he says this story is loosely based on an actual incident in Louisiana in a church where the actual pastor and some members of his church turned to devil worshipping, although there was no human sacrificing involved, just animals.
One other thing: I hate knives! I have been stabbed once, and cut another time. I hate knives! If I even think a knife might be in play, out comes Mr. H&K. And if you're within that magic 21 feet mark as prescribed in the Use-of-Force Matrix, shame on you, you're fixin' to feel the pain.
Did I mention that I hate knives? Just sayin'............

suncat05
03-10-2014, 12:18 PM
One other thing: since neither Marty or Cohle were actual police anymore, and because of how the situation ended, I can easily see some overzealous federal prosecutor trying to make a name for himself in the aftermath of what happened. Just my take on it.

badrose
03-10-2014, 12:38 PM
One other thing: since neither Marty or Cohle were actual police anymore, and because of how the situation ended, I can easily see some overzealous federal prosecutor trying to make a name for himself in the aftermath of what happened. Just my take on it.

You mean going after them or cleaning up the scraps?

Darrell KSR
03-10-2014, 12:58 PM
OK, you guys--I finally relented. I downloaded the first season to my phone (thanks, DroidTV). Haven't watched any episodes yet, but if college basketball postseason doesn't go well, I may have a few hours of TV to watch thanks to this thread.

suncat05
03-10-2014, 01:56 PM
You mean going after them or cleaning up the scraps?

I mean as in going after them for an alleged civil rights voilation. And in today's environment, I could see it happening.

badrose
03-10-2014, 02:33 PM
I mean as in going after them for an alleged civil rights violation. And in today's environment, I could see it happening.

I thought so. I could see it if not for the shoddy work done on the case throughout by the higher ups, and the stonewalling... Could happen but it would risk exposing the guy at the top of that pyramid.

badrose
03-10-2014, 02:35 PM
OK, you guys--I finally relented. I downloaded the first season to my phone (thanks, DroidTV). Haven't watched any episodes yet, but if college basketball postseason doesn't go well, I may have a few hours of TV to watch thanks to this thread.

I hope your phone has good sound. The dialect can be a bit slurry.

Darrell KSR
03-10-2014, 02:48 PM
I hope your phone has good sound. The dialect can be a bit slurry.

Yep, it's great sound.
(Edit... I listen through headphones).

Darrell KSR
03-11-2014, 07:02 AM
Watched the first two episodes last night. I'm probably an oddball, but it drags too much for my taste. The actors are two of my favorites, though.

via mobile app

suncat05
03-11-2014, 09:56 AM
Darrell, the first 3 or 4 episodes DO drag just a little bit. Patience, my friend. Along about the end of episode 4 the pace picks up considerably. And it will be well worth it when you get there.

Darrell KSR
03-11-2014, 10:20 AM
Thanks, suncat. I still like it even with the pace being what it is for the first couple. I like the interview portion, but I think that's my main sticking point early; just a little too much of it. I'm sure they're trying to completely set up the characters, etc. with it, which I get, too.

I will try to watch another show tonight.

UKHistory
03-11-2014, 05:37 PM
Nothing drags on that girl in espisode 2. Had to go there...

Watched the first two episodes last night. I'm probably an oddball, but it drags too much for my taste. The actors are two of my favorites, though.

via mobile app

UKHistory
03-11-2014, 05:43 PM
Stabbed? Wow. That is intense.

What stood out to me is that the groundskeeper, as in life, is the bad guy and he is one of the first people that the police interview.

But reality doesn't have forboding music or stylistic cutaways that move from "where can we find our guy" to a figure turning and hamming it up for the camera.

I really enjoyed the show. Very entertaining.

Quite an ending, wasn't it? I had a feeling about that groundskeeper guy the first time I saw him, and it was reinforced when the 2nd team of detectives stopped to get directions from him. The scenes inside that hidden fortress, or church, or whatever that old building was, was pretty intense too.
This was just a very well done show. Way out of the ordinary, at least to me.
And as it turned out, once they figured out that more crimes were happening after they killed Reggie Ledeux, they approached like it needed to be done.
I also read an article with the producer Nick Pizzalato (sp?) where he says this story is loosely based on an actual incident in Louisiana in a church where the actual pastor and some members of his church turned to devil worshipping, although there was no human sacrificing involved, just animals.
One other thing: I hate knives! I have been stabbed once, and cut another time. I hate knives! If I even think a knife might be in play, out comes Mr. H&K. And if you're within that magic 21 feet mark as prescribed in the Use-of-Force Matrix, shame on you, you're fixin' to feel the pain.
Did I mention that I hate knives? Just sayin'............

Darrell KSR
03-11-2014, 05:46 PM
Nothing drags on that girl in espisode 2. Had to go there...
I didn't say it didn't have some socially redeeming qualities of the highest order...

Scout714
03-11-2014, 06:36 PM
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwifflegif.com%2Ftags%2F3088 40-alexandra-daddario-true-detective-stripping-gifs&h=0&w=0&tbnid=-7wpZoql_RCkbM&tbnh=168&tbnw=300&zoom=1&docid=W2pZiBlWx8

Your welcome

Scout714
03-11-2014, 06:50 PM
In my opinion these great HBO shows are more about the journey then the ending. While I liked the ending of True Detective (almost pooped my pants watching Rust run through the house) I loved the characters I met. Think of the strippers, the New Orleans prostitute, the interrogation room scenes, snipers, Uncle Bob, Marty's girlfriends, the fights, the riot, the list goes on and on and on. TV at it's best.

Darrell KSR
03-12-2014, 06:27 AM
Getting better. 4th episode had less of the interviews. The day to day process is far more interesting.

via mobile app

suncat05
03-13-2014, 11:04 AM
So have you watched episode 5 yet?

Darrell KSR
03-13-2014, 11:43 AM
I did last night, 11:30pm-12:30am. Very, very good. The interviews have lessened to the point of "just right," and I've enjoyed the rest of it from the 1st episode. Now it's just the right mix, and I love the actors.

PedroDaGr8
03-18-2014, 03:32 PM
A review of True Detectives by none other than Kareem Abdul-Jabaar:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kareem-abduljabbar/true-detective_b_4985514.html

Surprisingly, unlike most celeb reviews, it doesn't suck. Pretty thoughtful and nuanced.

Darrell KSR
03-18-2014, 04:03 PM
I think Kareem is a pretty intelligent guy.

Darrell KSR
03-19-2014, 09:31 AM
Insomnia hit, so I watched the final 4 episodes last night. Boy, it really got good after what I thought was a slow start in the first two shows.

Glad you guys made me watch.

via mobile app