PDA

View Full Version : Nothing new in BBN since 9-21-2012

blueboss
09-24-2012, 07:12 PM
One of the few complaints that I have since moving to the new fancy smancy site is there is no traffic on this forum. I realize its only September and BBM is still less than a month away but this is BBN and there is always something going on Div 1 CBB that has an impact on KY. yet still no chatter/conversation. Even with the football program in shambles the football forum has only a handful of threads started in the last week. Heck nobody's even picking on little brother or the who'syour daddys in Bloomingidioton.

What gives brethren? Is it all about the premium board now? If so we/whomever might as well just have the one forum and get rid of the free forums all together. :confused:

CitizenBBN
09-24-2012, 07:25 PM
It's interesting but most of our regular free members signed up for premium access, even those who don't post regularly. Not sure the reason but I think access to Larry and the rest of the writing staff has a lot of appeal, as well as the level of discussion and info on the premium board. We also priced it at a ridiculously good value point.

It's good news in the sense that the premium board has become even more popular and that does help keep the lights on and the servers running, but it wasn't our intention to lose our free discussion.

Not sure what the best way to go may be. Even our new registrations that are just now finding us are almost all signing up as premium members, so it's not just our long time members.

dan_bgblue
09-24-2012, 07:28 PM
This site does not have any network affiliation and does not yet appear near the top of Google listings. Lots of different boards available out there for folks that want to talk or read about UK sports. I think the discussion will come, but there is no guarantee of that either. This message board is just a week over a month old so progress is slow but like I said I think it will come.

The one thing that has set Rainman boards apart over the years is the demand for civility in conversations. That distinction has served the boards well in the past. With twitter, text messaging, facebook and double digit internet message boards featuring UK, it will take time to see if this experiment is going to work well or not.

Talk to your friends about us and invite them to give it a try. With no network affiliation, word of mouth is our best opportunity to grow. Darrell is typing his fingers off on Twitter to draw attention to the site, and I am sure he would appreciate any help he can get in the publicity department.

Krank
09-24-2012, 10:31 PM
Hey, I am now premie, but I STILL post over here too....

WHADDUP, PREMIE CAPPUCCINO SIPPIN' MOFO'S?!?!?!?

GET THE DUCK OVER HERE!!!!!

blueboss
09-25-2012, 08:16 PM
Jeez, if the Kranster dropped the scratch to go all premie I guess I better loosen up on some fold'n money and get all uppity.

dan_bgblue
09-25-2012, 08:57 PM
Jeez, if the Kranster dropped the scratch to go all premie I guess I better loosen up on some fold'n money and get all uppity.

I will be on the lookout for you. There are some really knowledgeable folks that post there, some connected ones as well, and then you have lots of folks like me. It will take a few days to learn who is who. I hope to see you soon.

One way took look at the money side is that the cost of a month's worth of fun can be bought for the same price as a single meal at Mickey D's. Weigh that thought heavily as no one wants you to go hungry.:)

blueboss
09-26-2012, 06:30 PM
It's not the dough, I've just been spoiled by conversing with these same knowledgeable folks for free for such a long time it's just my hard head rearing up. While this thread greatly resembles whining, complaining, and just plain bitch'n it's really more of just an observation regarding the lack of board traffic. I guess it's time to move over and roll with the BBN most influential playyyaz.:cool:

Darrell KSR
09-27-2012, 09:45 AM
I don't think you'll regret it, blueboss, but make no mistake, we're committed to the free boards, too. Dan's right about the network; it made it easier for the free traffic to flow. Don't feel obligated to do it, we'll eventually have a few ads on here that will help pay the bills, too, so the free boards will be contributing to the success of the site, helping feed Larry Vaught's bevy of beautiful women, and helping us do even more things we have planned in the future, too.

I'm actually hoping that we can attract a few rival fans (good ones) over here, too. To me, they always stirred the pot just a little, if they were good, but not too much (the bad ones did that). Obviously, 95% of the talk was Kentucky-specific by Kentucky fans, but that extra 5% seemed to make it flow a bit.

Many of us don't go visit rival fans' boards, but I'm going to make a point of visiting every SEC school's board before we play them, if I can, and invite them here (and on our football forum, too). The danger is attracting the trash-talkers, but we'll clean them up if that's the direction they head.

We would also love to have more "free" UK fans posting on the board, too. There are more "free" members of KSR today than premium members, but the posting activity shows almost a 10:1 ratio of premium members posting to free members. I haven't figured out why yet, but that's just what is happening now. If we could get that to 10:10, all boards would be hopping. Premium is very active currently, and will jump October 1, if history is any indication. Hopefully all boards will increase in activity then, too.

Feel free to invite your friends on the internet and elsewhere to join up, and there's never any obligation to join premium. We think it's a great deal, you interact more with Larry Vaught, Lonny Demaree, Tyler Adkins, Ashley Scoby and Erin Ashley Simon, insiders like Carolinawildcats, the incomparable Darryl, anderwt and others, as well as the rest of us schmucks there, and get tidbits and stuff that you won't find anywhere else, ever. Stuff that won't make an article. But love to have them RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW, on the free basketball and football forums. We'll get there for sure.

Krank
09-27-2012, 11:57 AM
Free boards are THE pulse of the fanbase, in my view, so it is too bad that so many GOOD POTENTIAL POSTERS shirk them. Chat between folks, in person, is free, of course, and the internet is at it's best (yes, warts and all) when free chat thrives as it would in person.

I still hope blueboss comes premie because he's such a great poster and loyal fellow fan, but I would most like to see MORE premie folks post over here too because it makes it MUCH more likely that lurkers will come out and play.

That is my uninformed take on how these things work, JMO as they say, oh, and BTW, I also hope that we get some good rival posters on here, ya know, like the ONE guy that is a UNC fan that CLEARLY understands how dirty their program has been for years and doesn't mind 100% admitting how unsavory the NCAA's clear bias in their favor has allowed so much success over the past 15-30 years.

I look forward to chatting with THAT tarheel fan ASAP. Another example... the ONE Indiana fan who understands that Coach Calipari has NEVER cheated, admits that Bobby Knight is one of the most biased, lying UK haters that ever lived, and that Crean and IU AD Glass are responsible for the UK/IU series being cancelled, NOT Coach Calipari.

Come on down, rivals, fall to your knees before fans of the greatest college basketball program of all time, and have fun admitting that you wish that greatness was not so clear and impossible to argue against. Meanwhile, you will get a chance to discuss topics of all basketball types with the most knowledgeable fanbase in the sport.

How could any HONEST rival resist?

dan_bgblue
09-27-2012, 06:13 PM

cattails
09-28-2012, 07:19 AM
It's not the dough, I've just been spoiled by conversing with these same knowledgeable folks for free for such a long time it's just my hard head rearing up. While this thread greatly resembles whining, complaining, and just plain bitch'n it's really more of just an observation regarding the lack of board traffic. I guess it's time to move over and roll with the BBN most influential playyyaz.:cool:

If you want to hear it first, get over to the premy board. I go in for a year beacuse I read the board a number of times a day (yes I have a life :p), checking in to see what is new. I have mine on roll over, just renew auto when it is time. You have the D brothers, Darryl (supplies articles from all over the place that I don't have to hunt for), offers insight into UK and offers topics for debate, Darrell is on mega post count down, offers so much insight and info. Larry V is worth the price for just the articles he puts in and we have the Ashley twins who really spice up the board with articles from interviews and the like. As Krank (who is a joy to read, thought full and wonderful debate person) has joined it has gotten even better. So many others, to many to mention, Doc, Mick, Dan, Jazy, Lonny etc, etc. Once you get there you are hooked.

blueboss
09-28-2012, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the props Krank, even after I throw the dough towards the mecca of BBN chat I'm with you in wanting the free board to still pull it's weight in relevant conversation.

Krank
09-29-2012, 03:43 PM
Hey, thanks very much to cattails and blueboss for the props and, umm, prop-return, or something like that, LOL.

That's the great thing about the "community" here. There are, quite literally, countless good posters, interesting opinions, and of course, on premie, TRULY RELIABLE and early great info on the Cats.

I hope the free traffic gets heavier as the basketball season approaches. Having said that, if I never read one of quinceytroll's grammatically stunted (read "lazily edited", i.e. NOT edited for grammar) and self-absorbed redundant posts, it will be too damn soon.

I want to see MORE great Cat fan members sign up, at least for the free forums, and INTERESTING rival fans too. I am hoping that, despite my unscientific feeling that "indie" KSR (now) will never quite have the traffic that "corporate" KSR (then, i.e. Scout) had, that the compromise will be a higher percentage of good to great posts/posters on ALL boards, regardless of their rooting interests and that there will, eventually, be a solid middle ground that makes things a bit more vibrant than they are at this moment, while STILL not having as many, well, IDIOTS.

dan_bgblue
09-29-2012, 08:21 PM
Krank and others, there are a ton of UK fans signed up for this board, and it is obvious that there are a ton of readers based on the number of hits some of the threads are getting. Just have to figure out a way to get them talking as much as they read. If only 10% of them start to type, it will be a huge improvement to the traffic.

Come on Cat fans, type with us. We want to read your thoughts.

DanISSELisdaman
09-29-2012, 10:03 PM
What do yo want me to say Dan? :p