PDA

View Full Version : Gloom, despair and agony on me - the Kentucky football fan

Darrell KSR
09-24-2012, 01:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ5ob9B9yD4

It's not just a Hee Haw song, it's the life of a Kentucky football fan.

After watching yet another humiliating defeat at the hands of the Florida Gators this weekend (Florida 38 Kentucky 0), morale for the Kentucky fan base is at its lowest in years. It isn't just the loss, just the feeling of hopelessness as Kentucky goes into battle each week. KSR members talked about what the attendance may be this week, and member "catfan1029" talked about that feeling:

"I have season tickets and parking, but have not attended this year, live about 30 minutes from stadium. I plan on attending so that I can form an opinion to the turnout and atmosphere. Also, would like to see if I can spot Barnhart and see if he leaves the field with Joker at games end, and how many people remain at games end.

Long time ticket holder, all seats $450 K-fund per, gave up 4 of them this year, only regret is that I did not let them all go. I have felt that this program was in trouble with Joker's leadership after attending the Ole Miss game in his first season. I have invested a lot of money and energy in this football program and there is no reason to justify continuing to do so with the leadership that wehave and that starting at the top meaning Mitch Barnhart. Anger and hopelessness are about the only emotions that I have when I think about our football program and what is has become in such a short period of time.

The tone of this site and other UK sites, plus media outlets including national, make it one of the most depressing times that I can remember and I go back the mid 60's attending UK games as an adult. There is absolutely nothing positive being said about our program at this time. How have we arrived at this point once again?"

He's not the only one, either. Longtime Kentucky fan Mickintheham echoed those remarks:

"I could have written your post myself. It parallels most of my experience. I have 4 tix with the 450 k fund as well and have followed the Cats since 1957 when George Walsh was doing the games on radio. I had season tix in Stoll Field and every year since. Mitch walks the sidelines right in front of our seats. It makes me sick to see him there with his Tom Crean clapping of the fans and offering encouragement to the players. If he wanted to offer real encouragement he should get the program some effective leadership.

It's interesting you cite the Ole Miss game in Oxford. That's when I first noticed how bad things were on the sidelines. I commented on it to the woman next to me and got blasted. She was the mother of one of the players and she was already pissed with Joker. Subsequent to that game my daughter had a couple of friends on the team corroberate most of what she said. I haven't seen or heard anything since to tell me it is better."

How have we reached this point? In the best of times, we still felt a little like Charlie Brown, with Lucy pulling the football away from us as we were about to kick it. But now, there's no Lucy. And no football.

Doom, despair and agony on me, the Kentucky football fan.

SalsaKat
09-24-2012, 03:17 PM
Said this on Twitter (find myself repeating a lot here and there actually) but I can get excited cheering for a loveable loser. You know, the team that is the underdog but you can believe they've got a chance and you want to see them pour their hearts out against all odds. Although I'm not a serious fan, I've followed the Cubs for years, so I obviously have learned to tolerate a losing team. I can't get excited for a hot mess that you know is going to get curbstomped beyond recognition, and may not even be trying to win.

In fact, emphasis on that last part. The fact that Joker basically all out said he wasn't going to try Whitlow until late even though he knew damn well that Newton flat was not working, that he wasn't even concerned with trying to win, just about tore it for me. I joke far too often about UK just phoning it in against the overpowering opponents and saving themselves for winnable games but to actually see it done (and not even against Alabama, but a somewhat lackluster Florida team) was just maddening.

Panama
09-24-2012, 04:39 PM
Well, I saw a big problem with Joker's first game as coach against Louisville. Think UK won 23-16, but should have won 40-16. There were penalties galore against UK, which indicated to me a lack of discipline. The Ole Miss game validated that Joker was going to be a problem.

Just can't wait for a new coach and a hopefully a revival of UK Football.

dan_bgblue
09-24-2012, 05:31 PM
When one quits caring, gloom, despair, and agony are left far behind.

dethbylt
09-28-2012, 11:02 PM
Said this on Twitter (find myself repeating a lot here and there actually) but I can get excited cheering for a loveable loser. You know, the team that is the underdog but you can believe they've got a chance and you want to see them pour their hearts out against all odds. Although I'm not a serious fan, I've followed the Cubs for years, so I obviously have learned to tolerate a losing team. I can't get excited for a hot mess that you know is going to get curbstomped beyond recognition, and may not even be trying to win.

In fact, emphasis on that last part. The fact that Joker basically all out said he wasn't going to try Whitlow until late even though he knew damn well that Newton flat was not working, that he wasn't even concerned with trying to win, just about tore it for me. I joke far too often about UK just phoning it in against the overpowering opponents and saving themselves for winnable games but to actually see it done (and not even against Alabama, but a somewhat lackluster Florida team) was just maddening.

The early Tim Couch teams and Rich Brooks first team were the lovable losers for me. A team that is doing everything they can to win is my favorite sometimes. I will follow the Cats and root for them forever, but something just isn't clicking this year. They don't appear to be doing all they can to win.

truecatsfan
09-29-2012, 08:25 AM
The writing was on the wall his first bowl game against Pitt.

Darrell KSR
09-29-2012, 03:31 PM
The writing was on the wall his first bowl game against Pitt.

There were some signs in the bowl practice week, too. Just didn't look like a well-coached team. I attended several of the practices that week, and looked like they were running half-speed. UK also changed practice times several times during the week, with media being given just an hour or so notice of when the "media viewing" time would be after planning around it. Just little things like that.

Of course, the bowl game was awful on many fronts.