PDA

View Full Version : Navy Blue Angels open season with a Win

Darrell KSR
12-18-2013, 11:40 PM
Despite a slow start, the 7th grade basketball team posted a 39-21 win to begin the season. Had a 1-point lead at halftime and started our 5-guard offense in the 3rd quarter, and blew the game open.

Had 11 of our 12 players score in the game. The gym gives a free soft drink and popcorn if every player on your roster scores, so we just missed out.

Next game? January 11. How is that for a weird schedule?

Going to be a good year. We were 2nd in the league last year, and picked up the starting point guard from another school's team through a special rule we have that allows me to recruit, and he added a whole new dimension to the team. (Parochial school league, kid goes to another school we played in AAU summer ball, but attends our church). Crazy quick, and have never seen anyone better at that age at stealing the ball off the dribble. Will pick your pocket in a heartbeat.

We probably will finish 2nd this year, too, as they added two 8th grade teams to the 7th grade division just to even up the teams. We are not as good as one of them, but better than the other one. Will be fun.

CitizenBBN
12-19-2013, 12:29 AM
I'm hopeful for this team. With the ball line defense finally behind us and the DDM in place maybe we can finally do something. I just worry about the attitudes of the kids with this whole "player's first" thing.

Darrell KSR
12-19-2013, 01:25 PM
We actually have a version of dribble-drive that we play against man defenses that is a bad contortion of what I understand it is supposed to be. Unfortunately, after putting it in, I watched four other teams play that we will play this year, and all of them played zone the entire game. Man defense is something that is rarely played in our league. We play man (we match up out of a 1-2-2), in addition to a 1-2-2 and a 1-3-1 zone defense, none of which are played in our league (that I've seen so far). Every other team plays either a 2-1-2 or a 2-3 zone. This is Alabama middle school ball.

dan_bgblue
12-19-2013, 01:26 PM
Do they have a new HC for this season?

Darrell KSR
12-19-2013, 08:34 PM
Do they have a new HC for this season?

I've been trying to hand off duties for several years unsuccessfully. This year my assistant has made 2 practices due to work commitments (he is working out of town Monday through Friday). Kids are pretty good kids, which helps.

Sent using Forum Runner

dan_bgblue
12-20-2013, 08:22 AM
Best of luck in the coming season