PDA

View Full Version : New TV show

bigsky
12-18-2013, 09:15 PM
BRAVO TV announces Duck Dynasty spinoff featuring Phil Robertson in "Queer Eye on the Odd Duck".

CitizenBBN
12-18-2013, 09:23 PM
lol. I'm counting down till A&E cancels it and it gets picked up by another network. Outdoor channel comes to mind as one that wouldn't worry too much about the GLBT audience.

I don't agree with Phil but it's interesting how many people really don't want honesty or people who tell you what they really think, they just want the PC lines to be repeated. Of course the DD clan don't care, they were rich before the show, even more rich now, and dont' really have to care.

Darrell KSR
12-18-2013, 09:28 PM
I just read his comments. I continue to be amazed that people fail to consider the consequences of their words, from the Dixie Chicks to the Dixie Duck.

Sent using Forum Runner

CattyWampus
12-18-2013, 09:49 PM
I just read his comments. I continue to be amazed that people fail to consider the consequences of their words, from the Dixie Chicks to the Dixie Duck.

The Dixie Chicks were rejected by a big portion of their fan base. Phil Robertson is being embraced by the DD fan base. It sounds like you don't know much about Phil Robertson. He'll give his honest opinion and not worry about the PC crowd.

When A&E tried to censor the Robertson's from speaking the name Jesus Christ, the Robertsons stood their ground. A&E backed down. When A&E tried to insert bleeps to suggest the use of obscenities, the Robertsons rejected it. A&E backed down.

The bottom line is that the DD fandom will stand by Phil.

Phil and the Pope have the same opinion about homosexuality. The Pope was awarded Man of the Year by GLAAD. Phil Robertson was demonized by GLAAD. Go figure.

Darrell KSR
12-18-2013, 09:57 PM
It sounds like you don't know much about Phil Robertson. He'll give his honest opinion and not worry about the PC crowd.

Well, not as well as my brother, who visited with him in his home last week. I'm sure I know his political beliefs, his religious beliefs, and family values as well as most people do, though, although I haven't met him.

Phil Robertson will apologize for those comments.

bigsky
12-18-2013, 10:04 PM
Frank statement of values from a known southern born again Christian. Asked and answered.

I was makin a joke, because the whole thing looked like a setup. None of his answers about homosexuality could have been a shock.

I thought the happy slaves comment was worse.

Darrell KSR
12-18-2013, 10:17 PM
Frank statement of values from a known southern born again Christian. Asked and answered.

I was makin a joke, because the whole thing looked like a setup. None of his answers about homosexuality could have been a shock.

I did too, bigsky.

I'm glad we live in a country where we can feel free to express those opinions. But I'm also glad that most of us consider the consequences prior to making those comments.

I like Phil Robertson. That "dumb" show--from West Monroe, Louisiana (where my brother lives, where I went to school)--is one of a few I keep on my phone to watch when I have a few minutes. It's entertaining to me, much like The Andy Griffith Show. Maybe not everybody's cup of tea, but I like it.

I hope he returns to the show.

P. S. - I've done this twice tonight, and I just want to try to clarify that my brother is not a friend of Phil Robertson's. He is an acquaintance of his, and he did visit recently in his home with a few others, but he is not even close to being a friend of his. I spoke to my brother a week or two ago and he mentioned being in his home, and the circumstances, so I couldn't resist that response.

And in full disclosure, although my brother lives and works in West Monroe, I am actually from Monroe proper. Back in the day, we used to look down on the West Monroe clan. Now they do the same to us.

CattyWampus
12-19-2013, 04:50 AM
Phil Robertson will apologize for those comments.

Why should he? To save his job? To show he's "enlightened"? Because he had the audacity to state his opinion which conveniently offended some people? Because he paraphrased scripture? I'll be disappointed if he does apologize. He didn't attack the "sinner". He spoke out against what he believes is a "sin".

KSRBEvans
12-19-2013, 07:17 AM
It'll be interesting to see how the remainder of the family responds to Phil's suspension. Will they film without him? If not, the legal sparks will fly.

I don't watch the show, but my wife does. When she heard Phil was suspended, she said she was suspending her viewership until Phil's back.

CattyWampus
12-19-2013, 07:35 AM
It'll be interesting to see how the remainder of the family responds to Phil's suspension. Will they film without him? If not, the legal sparks will fly.

I don't watch the show, but my wife does. When she heard Phil was suspended, she said she was suspending her viewership until Phil's back.

It's my understanding that the filming of the fourth season has been pretty much wrapped up, so the "new season" will probably include Phil.

If the Robertson clan tells A&E to stuff it, I bet the execs at CBN Channel (http://www.cbn.com/), INSP Channel (http://www.insp.com/), UP Channel (http://www.uptv.com/), Outdoor Channel (http://outdoorchannel.com/), and Sportsman Channel (http://www.thesportsmanchannel.com/) will be lined up to hire the Robertson family. The DD fans will follow them wherever they go.

I'm waiting for Walmart and Bass Pro Shops to poke a stick in the eyes of their customers by dropping DD merchandise.

An apology should be forthcoming. A&E should publicly apologize to Phil Robertson and all of the DD fandom.

jazyd
12-19-2013, 08:56 AM
He didn't say anything that wasn't true or he believed. It is such a shame when a man cannot quote the Bible w/o being vilified as some kind of kook. Much like here at times if one disagrees with the majority it is said one writes things they didnt or they are a liar when they aren't.

And I am not a Phil fan, knew him when I was a rep in that business, nor do I watch DD

Only reason AE has them is they are making millions from them, and he is correct in that it won't last much longer. Funny how liberal anti hunter/gun people love this show. Must make them feel better thinking they are so right about rednecks, while those rednecks are becoming multi millionaires and laughing their ass off all the way to the bank. Similar to far left liberals making the Pope man of the year when he is against everything they live for because they mistook what he said about capitalism

Rednecks are like what my dad used to say about dumb blondes, they are really smart brunettes

KeithKSR
12-20-2013, 11:03 PM
I think the PC police and most people in general, take themselves too seriously. Phil is condemned by a bunch of people who respond be calling him names in the media. Phil did not specifically condemn any individual, but he is condemned individually with great specificity. Very hypocritical.

One guy on the news this evening referred to the Robertsons as longhaired biker thugs. Can't get much more ignorant than that.

KeithKSR
12-20-2013, 11:07 PM
By the way, one of the reasons DD is so popular is the family is not PC, and don't take themselves too seriously. They refer to themselves as rednecks, which is a derogatory term.

CitizenBBN
12-21-2013, 12:05 AM
One guy on the news this evening referred to the Robertsons as longhaired biker thugs. Can't get much more ignorant than that.

Or bigoted.

jazyd
12-21-2013, 09:19 AM
Catty, you are correct in that he won't apologize. And having met him more than once back in the day I am prett sure he knew exactly who he was talking to, exactly what he aw saying and exactly what people would think of it. It wouldn't surprise me if he did it on purpose with the full intent of being canned personally. This isn't his cup of tea. This is a guy who was an elite QB, first string at La Tech but wouldn't hardly wear shoes or stay out of the water in woods duck hunting. Football interfered with that so I am told and the next guy moved up, some guy named a Terry Bradshaw. At least that is what a friend of Phil's told me years ago in Monroe when he was trying to get his call business off the ground.

AE is making mega millions and so are the sponsors, no way they kick him off. As it has been sId, the next season is already shot and by the time the next season is due his hiatus will be up IF he elects to return. The family may be tired of it with the exception of the son who seems to love all the attention

As far as Walmart, heard yesterday they have sold $200 million in DD products and are sold out online. Overall sales are $400 million which AE probably gets a share. Now who really thinks he will be out?

It's my understanding that the filming of the fourth season has been pretty much wrapped up, so the "new season" will probably include Phil.

If the Robertson clan tells A&E to stuff it, I bet the execs at CBN Channel (http://www.cbn.com/), INSP Channel (http://www.insp.com/), UP Channel (http://www.uptv.com/), Outdoor Channel (http://outdoorchannel.com/), and Sportsman Channel (http://www.thesportsmanchannel.com/) will be lined up to hire the Robertson family. The DD fans will follow them wherever they go.

I'm waiting for Walmart and Bass Pro Shops to poke a stick in the eyes of their customers by dropping DD merchandise.

An apology should be forthcoming. A&E should publicly apologize to Phil Robertson and all of the DD fandom.

Doc
12-21-2013, 04:01 PM
He stated nothing but HIS beliefs. Those that preach tolerance need to look in a mirror. Its like you can have your beliefs so long as they are the same as mine!

The show won't get picked up by another network due to the contract. They current one prevents that in the case the show is cancelled.

CitizenBBN
12-21-2013, 10:32 PM
He stated nothing but HIS beliefs. Those that preach tolerance need to look in a mirror. Its like you can have your beliefs so long as they are the same as mine!

The show won't get picked up by another network due to the contract. They current one prevents that in the case the show is cancelled.

I'd like to be their lawyer. Louisiana is a right to work state. They could prevent them from using the name and such, but prevent a TV show about the Robertson family and their business? They are prohibited from working as entertainers when their employer suspended one of them? So they can either work for that employer (specific performance) or not work at all? Good luck with that one in the south. if I'm the Outdoor channel et al it's more than worth the legal nonsense to get that show.

I'm sure it's in the contract, but it's very difficult if not impossible to enforce. Of course there's so much money on the table with a show this popular that it's likely to just get negotiated out as part of a settlement/buyout with A&E. A&E would be faced with no show plus lawsuit expenses to try to stop a new one or they can have no show and a big fat check and let them move the show when they would be likely to prevent it anyway. Easy decision for them as well as the family and whoever else bids for the show.

CitizenBBN
12-21-2013, 10:36 PM
We completely agree about tolerance Doc. He was stating his beliefs. It wasn't on the show, he answered questions and that's what he believes. The definition of tolerance is tolerating differing beliefs but the Leftist/PC crowd is no more accepting of different beliefs than the most ardent conservative. "Tolerance" for them means "accept our views and abandon yours".

jazyd
12-21-2013, 11:14 PM
Finish contract and then screw AE. Next season already in the can, sit 6 more months and hunt and make calls then go to another network. They will drop AE before AE drops their biggest $ producers and made them a known network. Advertisers won't allow it being dropped

QUOTE=CitizenBBN;136587]I'd like to be their lawyer. Louisiana is a right to work state. They could prevent them from using the name and such, but prevent a TV show about the Robertson family and their business? They are prohibited from working as entertainers when their employer suspended one of them? So they can either work for that employer (specific performance) or not work at all? Good luck with that one in the south. if I'm the Outdoor channel et al it's more than worth the legal nonsense to get that show.

I'm sure it's in the contract, but it's very difficult if not impossible to enforce. Of course there's so much money on the table with a show this popular that it's likely to just get negotiated out as part of a settlement/buyout with A&E. A&E would be faced with no show plus lawsuit expenses to try to stop a new one or they can have no show and a big fat check and let them move the show when they would be likely to prevent it anyway. Easy decision for them as well as the family and whoever else bids for the show.[/QUOTE]

badrose
12-22-2013, 09:23 AM
It's a pendulum swing.

CattyWampus
12-22-2013, 02:42 PM

I somehow missed this comment from you when I first visited the thread. Are you saying that there were slaves when Phil Robertson talked about working in the fields with blacks? Who knew? I think you and Darrell both need to go back and read what he said. He said it was his personal observations. He didn't address the plight of blacks as a whole, but his point was that all the giveaway and entitlement programs were and are worthless.

Darrell KSR
12-22-2013, 03:23 PM
Not sure this is the apology, but Phil has already softened his comments with a statement. Good for him.

"After the words kicked up a backlash, Robertson issued a statement on Wednesday that seemed to soften his observations."

“I myself am a product of the '60s; I centered my life around sex, drugs and rock and roll until I hit rock bottom and accepted Jesus as my Savior,” he said in the statement, released by A&E.

“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”

That may be all he does. It will make some happy, it will disappoint others. As my point that is missed by many indicates, our words and actions have consequences. Reading around the Internet, twitter and in real life, I am near shocked at the overwhelming number of people who fail to understand what the First Amendment means, or how it applies, in their own rush to judgment.

Cattywampus, I am not going to engage in discussion with you, as I find your dialogue more confrontational than meaningful, honest discussion. If I misunderstand your delivery, my apologies to you for my mistake.

Sent using Forum Runner

BigBluePappy
12-22-2013, 04:59 PM
" "I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person," the 67-year-old reality star said in the mag's January issue about pre-Civil-Rights South. "Not once."

In fact, in his childhood experiences growing up in Vivian, La., Robertson suggested he could relate to the black struggles because he was "white trash."
Phil Robertson (center) with the cast of ‘Duck Dynasty’ in the January 2014 issue of GQ magazine.
Jeff Reidel/ GQ
Phil Robertson (center) with the cast of ‘Duck Dynasty’ in the January 2014 issue of GQ magazine.

RELATED: ‘DUCK DYNASTY’ STAR GETS SUPPORT FROM HIGH-PROFILE CONSERVATIVES

"Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers," he explained. "I hoed cotton with them. I'm with the blacks, because we're white trash. We're going across the field … They're singing and happy."

In his recollection, the racism that reportedly occurred between the end of slavery in 1865 and the start of the Civil Rights Movement in the late 1940s just didn't appear to be in existence in the area where he grew up.

"I never heard one of them, one black person, say, 'I tell you what: These doggone white people' -- not a word!" he said. "Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv-movies/phil-robertson-black-people-mistreated-south-article-1.1553071#ixzz2oFOJLrrR
"

From this source.

Direct quote - not a word out of place. NY Daily News 12/19/2013

CattyWampus
12-22-2013, 05:55 PM
Cattywampus, I am not going to engage in discussion with you, as I find your dialogue more confrontational than meaningful, honest discussion. If I misunderstand your delivery, my apologies to you for my mistake.

Sent using Forum Runner

How was what I said confrontational? You tried to put words into Phil's mouth that he didn't say.

jazyd
12-22-2013, 08:23 PM
I thought those were his comments from the beginning, no need to soften anything. And there was nothing wrong with his statements about blacks.

The liberal left have been the ones who are intolerant, ugly in their words and those that claim they are achristians but that the Bible doesn't mean what is written but rather needs to reflect their own values. The teachings in I Cor is very clear that homosexuals will not inherit the Kingdom. Those that don't believe that is fine, they don't believe in heaven or he'll anyway so where is their hurt.

The media, entertainment and college educators are dominated by left wing liberals and gays and they are pushing their agenda as strongly as they can. They don't realize the push back they are going to get from this. Cracker Barrell is going to take a huge hit.

Liberals and homosexuals can do to DD what I do to their shows such as modern family, don't watch

Not sure this is the apology, but Phil has already softened his comments with a statement. Good for him.

"After the words kicked up a backlash, Robertson issued a statement on Wednesday that seemed to soften his observations."

“I myself am a product of the '60s; I centered my life around sex, drugs and rock and roll until I hit rock bottom and accepted Jesus as my Savior,” he said in the statement, released by A&E.

“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”

That may be all he does. It will make some happy, it will disappoint others. As my point that is missed by many indicates, our words and actions have consequences. Reading around the Internet, twitter and in real life, I am near shocked at the overwhelming number of people who fail to understand what the First Amendment means, or how it applies, in their own rush to judgment.

Sent using Forum Runner

Doc
12-22-2013, 09:01 PM
I am near shocked at the overwhelming number of people who fail to understand what the First Amendment means, or how it applies, in their own rush to judgment.

Me too. First amendment has nothing to do with this at all. First amendment applies to the government, not A&E. My issue is with the intolerance of many gay organizations. They feel the need to make anybody who does not share opinion of sexuality miserable. The preach tolerance while practicing intolerance.

CitizenBBN
12-22-2013, 10:04 PM
I'm so used to people not understanding the Bill of Rights I hardly notice any more.

I'm with Doc. I personally don't agree with his comments on many levels (either racially or sexually or otherwise), I have numerous gay/lesbian friends and support most of their issues, but I find it hypocritical that they expect people who disagree with their lifestyle to accept them but cannot accept anyone who does in fact disagree with it. The base of libertarianism is about you having the right to do what you want and say what you want and me having the same, and they don't have to agree. What they have to do is not INFRINGE on each other. If Phil discriminated in some way through his company fine, let's talk, but if it's just his personal views then that's where the "tolerance" part is supposed to happen. "Tolerance" isn't the same as "agreeing with", it's "putting up with".

Of course they're within their rights to pitch a fit to A&E, A&E is within their rights to fire him, but they're within their rights to take their show elsewhere too. What this is about isn't the "rights" at all, it's about asking people to be tolerant of things in which they do not believe or agree with and then not being tolerant of others. It's about hypocrisy. Gay groups ask those who think homosexuality is wrong to not treat gays badly b/c of that view, yet they brand those who think it is wrong as somehow and chastise them just as they dont' want to be chastised.

PS having seen his comments on African Americans I get the white trash angle and how he was on the same socio economic level as poor blacks in Louisiana, but he's confused "happy pre Civil Rights Movement" with "accepting the inevitable pre Civil Rights movement". Maybe accepting things you can't change makes you happier, but it misses the point in this case. He's right that the victim society welfare state has decimated the african american community in ways unseen in his childhood, but the way he put it was inaccurate and odd, esp. using the Civil Rights movement as the demarcation point and not the War on Poverty. It draws up some very old and bad connotations and views that I hope he doesn't really believe and is just not being clear due to his use of language.

Doc
12-23-2013, 10:45 AM
This is basically a repeat of the "chik-fil-a" controversy where the owner voiced his personal views on homosexuality. This from the owner of a restaurant that closes on Sunday because they feel Sunday should be devoted to your religion, so is it a stretch to think he would believe homosexuality wrong? There was never any evidence of discrimination, never a refusal to serve or hire anybody who was gay. No, just him voicing his belief yet the liberal and gay community got their panties in a wad and staged a boycott because they are intolerant of his personal views. In their minds he and everybody else much change their views to mirror those of the gay community, that those who don't believe in homosexuality must conform to their views because the gay community won't tolerate anything else. Its basically the "anti" definition of tolerance.

CitizenBBN
12-23-2013, 10:54 AM
agree 100% doc. It's absolutely the Chik-fil-a thing over again. I always find it ironic and sad and fascinating when the repressed become the repressors.

dan_bgblue
12-27-2013, 07:38 PM
Phil is back (http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2013/12/27/duck-dynasty-to-resume-filming-with-phil-robertson-ae-announces/)

CitizenBBN
12-27-2013, 07:44 PM
Yep, A&E blinked. I have little doubt they'd have lost the show to another network had they continued this stand. Maybe with a buyout and no doubt some legal haranguing but they'd have lost. That's a lot of money to lose for a smallish cable channel with exactly one hit show.

dan_bgblue
12-27-2013, 08:50 PM
It all came down to dollars and cents and as you said they blinked. The DD viewers were going to boycott the show, and continue to make waves. The minority that made all the fuss, including Jesse, were not going to suddenly begin watching DD if they filmed without Phil.

KeithKSR
01-02-2014, 09:49 PM

Robinson may be what some of us consider old, but he isn't that old. At 67 he did not live in an era when slavery existed. Born in '46 he did most of his growing up in the 50's and early 60's.

His comments:

“I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person," Robertson is quoted in GQ. "Not once. Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I’m with the blacks, because we’re white trash. We’re going across the field.... They’re singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, ‘I tell you what: These doggone white people’—not a word!... Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues.”

As you can see he is relaying his personal experiences as it relates to his youthful interactions with African-American youths. Robertson grew up without electricity, indoor bathroom, or many other comforts. His socioeconomic situation would have been as bad as that of the poorest black youths he grew up with.

While there was oppression in the South that ws aimed at blacks there was also oppression aimed at poor whites. Robertson grew up in Vivian, which has historically had a large number of black residents.

What we see more and more is historical revision done as an agenda to confirm current stereotypes.