PDA

View Full Version : Another Obamacare benefit.

DanISSELisdaman
12-15-2013, 05:48 PM
http://poorrichardsnews.com/post/70074593408/uh-oh-washington-obamacare-exchange-erroneously

Doc
12-15-2013, 06:59 PM
So the government is reaching into the pockets of other! Awesome. I'm so sick and tired of them doing it to me it makes me HAPPY to see others get screwed. Now I know some will see my attitude as a bad thing but what I've found is that folks don't mind some taxpayers paying more so long as its not them paying more. So long as its somebody else's $$ then they are cool with it.

DanISSELisdaman
12-15-2013, 09:51 PM
Yep, that seems to be the way it is Doc!

suncat05
12-16-2013, 07:59 AM
I saw this on the news over the weekend. Just another way for the government to put a stranglehold on everyone that it can.

Doc
12-16-2013, 01:12 PM
I should clarify a bit. I made the assumption (and one I'm sticking with) that the person who signed up in October, had to be a supporter of the ACA. Seems they couldn't wait to get their "obama-care". Nobody who shares my opinion would have gone on and signed up so quick.

I've talked to plenty of folks and know of exactly ONE person who benefited. One of the guys in our poker group wife has terminal cancer. Has been fighting it for years. Prior to that they would yearly shop for insurance, change companies at will. He was unaware that he had a $10,000 annual deductible for cancer drugs and when he wife was dx he could not change since no other company would take her knowing her condition. Hence each and every year he has a $10K deductible which when your meds run over $1,000/month, its doesn't take long. So in his mind he has saved $10,000 per year (he has) because now pre-existing conditions are excluded so he can now buy "cheap insurance", or better put go to a policy which is more expensive than what he has but also does not have that $10K deductible. But that is the rare exception, not the norm. For every one person its benefited I'm sure there are hundreds if not thousands that are subjected to higher premiums (mine went up about 75%), larger deductibles, etc.... add that many of the previously uninsured won't be insured and will still cost the taxpayer. So when I say I have no sympathy for those who are double billed etc... its only because sympathy has been in short supply for those who have been covering the bills for a very very long time.

basie88
12-17-2013, 10:36 PM
Hi good luck man and thanks for sharing this post with us.

KeithKSR
12-20-2013, 10:42 PM
I should clarify a bit. I made the assumption (and one I'm sticking with) that the person who signed up in October, had to be a supporter of the ACA. Seems they couldn't wait to get their "obama-care". Nobody who shares my opinion would have gone on and signed up so quick.

I've talked to plenty of folks and know of exactly ONE person who benefited. One of the guys in our poker group wife has terminal cancer. Has been fighting it for years. Prior to that they would yearly shop for insurance, change companies at will. He was unaware that he had a $10,000 annual deductible for cancer drugs and when he wife was dx he could not change since no other company would take her knowing her condition. Hence each and every year he has a $10K deductible which when your meds run over $1,000/month, its doesn't take long. So in his mind he has saved $10,000 per year (he has) because now pre-existing conditions are excluded so he can now buy "cheap insurance", or better put go to a policy which is more expensive than what he has but also does not have that $10K deductible. But that is the rare exception, not the norm. For every one person its benefited I'm sure there are hundreds if not thousands that are subjected to higher premiums (mine went up about 75%), larger deductibles, etc.... add that many of the previously uninsured won't be insured and will still cost the taxpayer. So when I say I have no sympathy for those who are double billed etc... its only because sympathy has been in short supply for those who have been covering the bills for a very very long time.

My brother-in-law is in that same position, was dx with cancer a year and a half ago, took all but $284 a month of his SS disability to pay for insurance.

Most people are getting hosed and aren't happy, even if they aren't in the exchanges. In order to conform to Obamacare my Humana policy had to add a huge deductible.

Doc
12-21-2013, 05:06 PM
My brother-in-law is in that same position, was dx with cancer a year and a half ago, took all but $284 a month of his SS disability to pay for insurance.

Most people are getting hosed and aren't happy, even if they aren't in the exchanges. In order to conform to Obamacare my Humana policy had to add a huge deductible.

I should consider myself lucky and not really care what happens to others. Our insurance is thru the gov't as my wife is a federal employee (most know this), so our coverage is excellent. In fact this is the sole reason my wife works. Our cost just about doubled about a year ago in preparation for this boondoggle however our situation is the gov't covers approx 50% of the cost so the increase, while significant, didn't hit us too hard. None of our bills come out of my wife's check and the premiums are automatically deducted (pre tax) from her check. However I was still concerned so last week I called customer service just to confirm we were not getting cancelled. Lady answered my questions licky split because I'm sure I wasn't the first caller. The selfish side of me should not worry about others. Seems nobody worries about my financial situation so why should I give a rats ass about others? Of course I'm smart enough to see the "bigger picture" and see the gov't intruding and telling me what I can and cannot do, what I must have, etc... where the elite aristocracy decides what others should do and have.

I'm all for helping folks out but those who elect to not have insurance or read their policies should have to live with their decisions. It unfortunate because the concept behind the ACA is good however its filled with flaws. A truly private solution would have been fine. Setting up exchanges across state lines, something Republicans have advocated, would have done the same. Instead the democrats elected to shut the right out and implement their nanny state where they TELL you what you can and can not have. All they did was drive up the costs for the majority of folks and make it so they can't blame the GOP for it failures.