PDA

View Full Version : I don't know whether to be honored or embarrassed....

Darrell KSR
12-12-2013, 12:25 PM
There is an app I use regularly, "Pocket." I generally use it as a "read it later" app in conjunction with my Twitter app, Tweetcaster.

It works like this--you see a link in a tweet to an article you'd like to read, you click it and it goes to "Pocket," where you can read it whenever. Saves it for you. I will go through a number of tweets, and click it as many times as I see an article I want to read, either then or later.

Anyway, I received an email from Pocket today. I am in the top 5% of all Pocket readers. Apparently I have read 874,659 words in Pocket this year. According to them, that's like reading "The Great Gatsby 19 times."

"And if the pages from those books were stacked end to end, they'd make it past the top of the Empire State Building."

I think I'm embarrassed.

Jeeepcat
12-12-2013, 01:40 PM
you must have been reading your posts :p

blueboss
12-12-2013, 08:06 PM
It's official, Darrell never sleeps.

UKFlounder
12-13-2013, 08:23 AM
I had a worse one a few years ago when a pizza company sent me a coupon for being in the top X% (probably 5, I don't remember) of their customers in the area, so at least yours is much better for you than my "honor" was. That was really embarrassing and even is a bit now that I think of it again.

CitizenBBN
12-13-2013, 12:07 PM
Yeah I get those too. From Petron, a few New Zealand vintners, a couple of importers of Russian vodka, and my favorite strip club. You know you're a good customer when you get free lap dances.

blueboss
12-16-2013, 07:37 PM
When I was in high school I used to rent rooms from a certain hotel in Lexington for entertaining and such, as a regular customer they made me a member of their "siesta club" which they notified me of by mail. My father and I share first names, my mother who like always retrieved the mail her curiosity was peaked why my father would be receiving correspondence from a local hotel and opened and read the contents.

I had to make a choice, watch my parents get divorced, or fess up and be grounded until I was 30 or so....I chose the later, I think my mother was so relieved that she vetoed the long term home incarceration and I was out in a week or two.

CitizenBBN
12-16-2013, 08:33 PM
When I was in high school I used to rent rooms from a certain hotel in Lexington for entertaining and such, as a regular customer they made me a member of their "siesta club" which they notified me of by mail. My father and I share first names, my mother who like always retrieved the mail her curiosity was peaked why my father would be receiving correspondence from a local hotel and opened and read the contents.

I had to make a choice, watch my parents get divorced, or fess up and be grounded until I was 30 or so....I chose the later, I think my mother was so relieved that she vetoed the long term home incarceration and I was out in a week or two.

That's a great story - in hindsight. lol. If this was one of the cheesier hotels I have no idea what they were thinking. Them being discreet is a big part of the gig.

I wouldn't have been grounded. Gotta go somewhere to entertain and the back seat of the car gets cold in the winter. Personally I recommend dating girls that have their own place at that age, works easier all the way around.

blueboss
12-17-2013, 09:12 PM
The hotel in question I wouldn't consider in the cheesy category but not the Hyatt either, and actually I think is in better shape now then it was then, family owned at the time with a son slightly older than me aspiring to be proprietor. I used the property for larger gatherings more than the other, no clean up and no parents and as long as it didn't get loud a two or three room block provided enough space for a decent little party....a little hint, rooms were unavailable while Keeneland was running.