PDA

View Full Version : A year after Newtown... public on gun laws

Darrell KSR
12-12-2013, 06:19 AM
@CBSNews: A year after Newtown, Americans still divided on gun laws, new CBS News poll finds

http://cbsn.ws/1d9joPP

Sent using Forum Runner

suncat05
12-12-2013, 07:37 AM
I am not divided on gun laws at all. Most of the laws are not enforced, and the rest we don't need. I don't see the problem. And especially when it comes at the expense of me giving up my Constitutional right to keep and bear arms and relinquishing my right to protect myself, my family, my property, and the lives of others who may need protection.

We need less guns laws(and less laws, period!). But that's just how I see it from my world view.

jazyd
12-12-2013, 08:33 AM
They still won't identify the problem of mental illness, rather the ultra liberals will use the murders of children to push their agenda of no guns period. Rather than tell the truth they would prefer to whip up sentiment from those grieving. They have no shame

Doc
12-12-2013, 12:43 PM
IMO what they need to address, if they want to address the core problem, its Hollywood and video games. Just randomly pick a movie off HBO and watch it sometime for the violence. Nearly every movie has a gun shootout. You have folks shooting at people where the good guy never gets killed, only bad guys. Shootouts with thousands of bullets and only 1 or 2 finds the mark. People getting blasted with multiple gunshots and the slow death with little to no blood, etc.... Add in video games where you can be killed 5-10 times, etc......

I find it hypocritical to the point of funny when you see all these liberal actors and actresses who are strongly anti-gun yet make a career off of violent movies where they run around killing folks. Look at alec baldwin in Hunt for Red October. Isn't he the one who hunts down the Russian KGB guy in the missle room? Kevin Bacon had no problems pulling out a rifle in "Tremors". Lets not for Arnie and Sly, both who have made millions by faux killing in movies. Matt Damon-anybody seen the Bourne series? Hell, even the best James Bond of all times (Sean Connery) is an anti-gun activist. Danny Glover, star of LETHAL WEAPON, anti-gun. Need one say more?

CitizenBBN
12-12-2013, 10:16 PM
Doc - the hypocrisy is just sick. Don't forget Bridges in Rooster Cogburn, the list is endless.

I watch these numbers pretty close, and they bear out pretty strong that most people are still pretty libertarian on the gun issue. I dispute CBS's numbers that 49% want stricter gun laws. when you break that down with more detailed surveys the numbers aren't that high. A big majority don't think they will work which is why they don't want more of them.

It depends on the region of the country of course, in the left strongholds that's not the case, but in the non-flyover region if anything support for gun ownership and carrying is growing.

KeithKSR
12-20-2013, 11:27 PM
Most of the shooters are video game enthusiasts.

What I really find stupid is that the easiest thing to change that would cut way down on lives lost at a school like the one at Newtown doesn't require any legislative action. Change the door locks. Schools have traditionally been built with locks that require a key to lock them, requiring doors to be opened. After an '03 shooter incident our school changed all indoor door locks so they could be locked by pushing the button on the knob from inside the room.

Locking knobs and an armed SRO would have saved nearly every life at Sandy Hook, if just the presence of the SRO didn't cause Lanza to choose another target.