PDA

View Full Version : UGH - desperate neeed IT help, I QUIT

Jeeepcat
12-11-2013, 08:29 PM
Here is my Lenovo post. Add this to router and AP issues and you'll understand my hell :-) #@$@$^! I can't even hit enter Brain Melt - keyboard double typing and more

Sorry if I haven't been thorough in searching the forums - but as you will see below I am at my wwhits's endd.

Last week my 10,000 hour $350 Toshiba laptop screen died.

I wanted a Lenovo but found a great deal on an Acer and bought it instead. After 6 hours of moving everything over - I end up having to do a sys restore upon Acer's direction to remedy the keyboard I was having (keys on the left end were double and triple tapping)

After this failed, I got disgusted, sent it back and found this wonderful Leenovo Z710

But wait.

1) I installed 8.1 and of course the wifi tanked so I had to sys restore (as per Lenovo) 8 and lose 6 more hours of wwork
2) Keyboard issue is occurring same as the other - spell check is fixing a lot of the errors in this post
3) After reverting to factory Win 8 setup - other computers and printer on my network (not homeegroup) will NOT remain visible and it's a complete crap shoot. Not saying three isn't my router - but if it is - bad timing. So here I am:

1) DON'T install 8.1 whatever you ddo :-)
2) Any fixes / experience here?
3) If this is going to continue to bee an issue I will ssendd this machine back aand either find a win 7 machine or fix my old one.

Thanks in advance. I have been down for a wweek tomorrow and ddesperate to geet my wwork caught up.

‎12-10-2013 09:52 PM
more research is indicating that others (variety of brands and os ) have had the keyboard issue on multiple new machines (ie they returned one or more) so surely it is a bios or driver issue?

dethbylt
12-11-2013, 09:17 PM
Here is my Lenovo post. Add this to router and AP issues and you'll understand my hell :-) #@$@$^! I can't even hit enter Brain Melt - keyboard double typing and more

Sorry if I haven't been thorough in searching the forums - but as you will see below I am at my wwhits's endd.

Last week my 10,000 hour $350 Toshiba laptop screen died.

I wanted a Lenovo but found a great deal on an Acer and bought it instead. After 6 hours of moving everything over - I end up having to do a sys restore upon Acer's direction to remedy the keyboard I was having (keys on the left end were double and triple tapping)

After this failed, I got disgusted, sent it back and found this wonderful Leenovo Z710

But wait.

1) I installed 8.1 and of course the wifi tanked so I had to sys restore (as per Lenovo) 8 and lose 6 more hours of wwork
2) Keyboard issue is occurring same as the other - spell check is fixing a lot of the errors in this post
3) After reverting to factory Win 8 setup - other computers and printer on my network (not homeegroup) will NOT remain visible and it's a complete crap shoot. Not saying three isn't my router - but if it is - bad timing. So here I am:

1) DON'T install 8.1 whatever you ddo :-)
2) Any fixes / experience here?
3) If this is going to continue to bee an issue I will ssendd this machine back aand either find a win 7 machine or fix my old one.

Thanks in advance. I have been down for a wweek tomorrow and ddesperate to geet my wwork caught up.

‎12-10-2013 09:52 PM
more research is indicating that others (variety of brands and os ) have had the keyboard issue on multiple new machines (ie they returned one or more) so surely it is a bios or driver issue?

Try altering the keyboard settings in the Control Panel before throwing it out the window. Go to Control Panel->Keyboard->and check the "Repeat Delay" setting (set it to longer), and the "Repeat Rate" (set it slower).

dethbylt
12-11-2013, 09:21 PM
FWIW, I still prefer Windows 7 too. However, I have worked with Windows 8.1 on a few systems and the non-metro interface is comparable, minus the start menu disappearing.

So, is the keyboard repeat in every application? Email and Word as well internet explorer?

Jeeepcat
12-11-2013, 09:27 PM
Thanks tried the setttings before, ssame result just retarded. The non functioning enter key is new tonight. Don't know if it affects all. Have unloaded office again, will try notepad. I didn't mind 8 after I added start button and froze the side toolbar thingy. Except for the networking issues, etc.

Jeeepcat
12-11-2013, 09:40 PM
eenteer keey just not working inn this forum

dethbylt
12-11-2013, 09:46 PM
Did you upgrade from your previous PC by using the same hard drive (or maybe migrate), or did you do a fresh install? What about uninstalling any third party software? Like maybe the Start button add on? Anything else weird installed?

Jeeepcat
12-11-2013, 09:48 PM
This is all after a full restore. Stocck system, no installs except 8.0 + bloatware

dethbylt
12-11-2013, 10:00 PM
On a totally new pc? Damn. Ok, like I said I prefer Windows 7 anyway. I will think about it for a while though. It would be a shame to reload if unnecessary.

Jeeepcat
12-11-2013, 10:02 PM
yep, two brand neew machines in a week. One 7 one 8. Both keyboard isssues. Stil no damn enter button. Ugh.

dethbylt
12-11-2013, 10:04 PM
Stupid question: where did you get the copy of Windows 8? Is it an OEM version (designed for a single company like IMB) or is it a plain Microsoft disc?

dethbylt
12-11-2013, 10:05 PM
Dang. That is really weird regardless. Still thinking about it while watching SOA on Netflix. :-)

dethbylt
12-11-2013, 10:09 PM
It may be my sysadmin paranoia, but having the same issue on two different hardware and software platforms is strangely similar to having some sort of malware infection. Do you have more than just your PC on your home network? Do you run good antivirus?

CitizenBBN
12-11-2013, 10:11 PM
Hoping Pedro will see this. I have zero experience with Windows 8. They're going to drag me kicking and screaming off my XP machine. I don't know that I've ever heard of this kind of problem, dont' knwo if it's Win 8 or something else, but 2 machines back to back, both new? Wow.

Jeeepcat
12-11-2013, 10:12 PM
OEM. AVG on all. I have found others to have this issue aand acer acknowledged it but no fix other than rstore which didn't fix it. Now Lenovo clueleesss

Jeeepcat
12-11-2013, 10:14 PM
Chucck, I loved 7, hate 8 - but really hate this bizarre ssh!!t. Wont warranty the machine if I install due to drive issues + whores I am sure :p

Jeeepcat
12-11-2013, 10:16 PM
Ill run MWB for shits and giggles

Jeeepcat
12-11-2013, 10:56 PM
I think it was the synaapticss never mind. It wasn't

Jeeepcat
12-12-2013, 11:43 AM
I think it was the synaapticss never mind. It wasn't

Lenovo going baack now - ordering a dell with win7