PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever been to Breckinridge Colorado?

Doc
09-22-2012, 04:41 PM
We enjoy snow skiing, as much as a southern Floridian can. Been to many mountains (Bachelor in Washington, Hood in Oregon, Vail a couple times, Gatlinburg, Sugar, Beaver Creek, Loon) and are headed to Breckinridge for the first time in December (the 8th thru 15th). Flying into Denver then driving, staying on the mountain (lodge on Peak 7). Will be just me an my wife (its our 25th wedding anniversary). I'm wanting to take her someplace nice on the 12 which is our actual anniversary. So anybody got suggestion on a restaurant and/or things to do? Naturally we will hit the mountain, likely a couple days. Also have a day of snowmobiling on the itinerary, but aside from that we don't have any plan. Might do a mine tour. Any other suggestions?

CitizenBBN
09-22-2012, 07:30 PM
Sorry Doc, I can help you w Crested Butte, have a 1st cousin who lives there, but Breckenridge is a pretty long haul from there.

Unfortunately my first suggestion in December would be Florida, which is a tad redundant for you. Cheaper though. Go home and say "honey it's our 25th, let's go to Florida!" and then you can just walk outside. :)

Doc
09-22-2012, 08:46 PM
I'm actually somewhat stoked. Had a free week at a timeshare (reward) which meant $220 for the week (doesn't sound free to me, sound like $220 more than free but a lot less than 220/night) and got my flight for free so all I have to buy is a rental car, lift tix, ski rental, etc..... Wife wanted Vail but been there several times. Is higher elevation so more likely to have snow (no snow is a bummer. Did that at park city) but I have to be careful about altitude sickness which I've had at Vail as well as pulmonary embolisms which I got in park city. However it will be nice to have a trip without our kids and daughter's boyfriend. Plus I have great reports on Breck, much less snobby than Vail

CitizenBBN
09-22-2012, 11:30 PM
Doc, for a vacation I'd say that's close enough to qualify for free, esp. for an anniversary trip. You should for sure be stoked about the trip and the price.

I remember when you were in trouble out there, so please don't repeat that. It didn't hit home how big the difference was till I was in Denver in person. I knew it was no joke when I unpacked after I left and my saline bottle had caved in b/c it was closed at Denver pressure and I unpacked at Texas pressure. I didn't react but the lady I worked with had real headache issues.

Scout714
09-23-2012, 06:48 AM
I went there about 25 years ago. That was when I learned the difference between Green, Red and Black trails. It wasn't pretty. I haven't skied since.

bigsky
09-30-2012, 02:36 PM
Used to get drunk and bunk out at a bar and mexican restaurant on the north side of the interstate. Can't remember the joint now, didn't remember much of it then. Had a bunkhouse for the bands they'd let me pass out in. But I do get vague recollections of wild times when I wandered by. Smiled just readin the name.

MickintheHam
10-01-2012, 10:11 AM
I never had as much fun there as bigsky. I was with my wife.