PDA

View Full Version : UAB v UNC attendance - not a sellout

Darrell KSR
12-04-2013, 02:05 PM
Had 8,313 in attendance--a great crowd by UAB standards. But not a sellout.

Capacity is 8,500, but their record is 9,392 (more than 1,000 than attended Sunday). When the game started, I saw a bunch of seats at the top of the gym that were vacant. I spoke to one of the parents of a 7th grader I coach, and he told me they decided Sunday morning to go, logged on the website and bought tickets then.

Normal ticket price for UAB tickets is $15. They sold these tickets for a special price of $35 each. I griped about it (I ended up buying tickets from someone who already had them, so I didn't contribute to the $35 sale price). My point was that they weren't rewarding people--like me--who go to see them play the Southern Mississippis, the UTEPs, the lesser schools I'll take my kids to see.

As it turned out, I think they had a chance to put another 700-1000 in the stands and show them that UAB basketball can be fun. Can be exciting. Get them into the facility, which is very good (beats the heck out of Coleman at University of Alabama; not as good as Auburn Arena, but not bad at all).

They sold probably 3,000 tickets at the enhanced price of $35. Could have sold maybe 4,000 tickets at the regular price of $15--or even $25.

So they made 3,000 x $35 = $105,000, instead of 4,000 x $15 or $25 ($60,000-100,000).

Was it worth it to make an extra $5,000-45,000? Of course, some of that would have been made up in concession and souvenir sales, too; maybe all of it. And how many would come back to a game that they had not been to before just from the experience?

UAB ain't Kentucky.
North Carolina, as an opponent, ain't Kentucky.

Those two factors, to me, meant you treat the long-standing fans right, and don't try to profit on a one-time thing.

JMO.

Dominic Toretto
12-12-2013, 04:36 AM
Thanks for your suggestion. I really appreciate that you took all this time to try and help us. Keep up the good work. Keep on taking action.

blueboss
12-12-2013, 07:01 PM
Thanks for your suggestion. I really appreciate that you took all this time to try and help us. Keep up the good work. Keep on taking action.

Don't forget to give our man Darrell his cut for straightening out your blunders.

Darrell KSR
12-12-2013, 07:41 PM

Oh, you are very welcome, our new-found Kentucky friend. I'm detecting a slight accent in your post. Eastern Kentucky, perhaps?