PDA

View Full Version : NAIA as dumb as NCAA?

CitizenBBN
12-03-2013, 05:27 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/11/27/lucky-20k-half-court-shot-could-cost-kan-college-hoopster-his-spot-on/?intcmp=obnetwork

NAIA basketball player who was at a game got to take a half court shot for $20K and hit it. Same stuff they do at games all the time.

NAIA said if he takes the money he'll lose his amateur status/eligibility. The school is appealing, trying to help work something out for the kid, which is great. NAIA says it'll take two weeks so at least they're faster than the NCAA.

I don't know how "take halftime shot as a fan" became "paid to play basketball" in their language, but in english it's a big stretch.

Darrell KSR
12-03-2013, 06:02 PM
It's the same thing in golf (or at least, it used to be).

I played in many golf tournaments growing up in high school, and won a lot of prizes. I picked good partners. The tournaments were always designed to not violate amateur status. It used to be $350 in "prize money" we could win. I think today it is $750.

As far as I know the same rule applied to hole-in-one contests, which, to me, are like the half-court shots. There is skill involved in both, although a lot of luck. But if you accept the prize (in excess of the limit), you forfeit amateur status.

I guess I grew up with that a million years ago, so it doesn't offend me.

blueboss
12-03-2013, 07:11 PM
It's the same thing in golf (or at least, it used to be).

I played in many golf tournaments growing up in high school, and won a lot of prizes. I picked good partners. The tournaments were always designed to not violate amateur status. It used to be $350 in "prize money" we could win. I think today it is $750.

As far as I know the same rule applied to hole-in-one contests, which, to me, are like the half-court shots. There is skill involved in both, although a lot of luck. But if you accept the prize (in excess of the limit), you forfeit amateur status.

I guess I grew up with that a million years ago, so it doesn't offend me.

So that's how you lost your amateur status, all those hole-in-one pots, and cars and trips.

Darrell KSR
12-03-2013, 08:21 PM
Lol. Maybe I need to explain most of my prizes were the $50 pro shop credit toward a $200 fairway club kinda thing that they would give anybody. :)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

CitizenBBN
12-03-2013, 10:40 PM
In golf playing in a pro-am event I can maybe see it, but if you aren't even at the event in the capacity of an athlete and you do something athletic and win a prize, I don't see it. Given the NCAA and NAIA see it the same way I don't doubt it's ubiquitous, but it doesn't feel like you've been paid to perform in that situation. In a full round of golf or a full game sure, but not a halftime event.

Won't keep me up at night, just seems like a silly restriction in this circumstance. Are boosters going to funnel money to kids via half court shots? No? Then let it go.