PDA

View Full Version : will a republican ever win the Presidency again

jazyd
09-21-2012, 11:27 PM
The democrats now hold a voting block that is going to be very hard to defeat. They have the true liberals, the black vote, the hispanic vote, the illegal vote, the gay vote, the majority of the union vote, the gay vote. It does not leave much room for a republican to gain enough votes to overtake that %.

It may be that we have to have a depression or a major war or catastrophe to win again, and then it may be so bad that a republican can't turn things around in 4 years and we lose again.

I have about lost hope when I see polls in Fl, Ohio, Mich saying that Obama has helped the economy in those states. unemployment in thos states are above the national average, gas is high, housing prices are still depressed, and yet they think Obama has helped. In Fl with all those seniors, Obama is going to hurt them with medicare and yet he is leading in Fl. Interest rates are so low that seniors cannot make anything on their investments or CD's and yet Obama is leading in Fl. States that were in financial trouble from democrats and have had their problems turned around by republican governors are leading for Obama. Democrats have ruined the economy in Cal and yet they keep voting for more democrats.

I have lost hope for this country.

suncat05
09-22-2012, 08:31 AM
Don't believe ANY poll you see from the lame stream media.

jazyd
09-22-2012, 08:40 AM
I keep telling myself that but that voting block is still there regardless of polls. And to have those nutcase republicans start snipping at Romney right now burns my butt off.

I did like the interview by the hispanic tv, they asked him hard questions, problem was he didn't answer and they didn't come back at him and force an answer

Don't believe ANY poll you see from the lame stream media.

badrose
09-22-2012, 09:07 AM
I do believe this is our last chance but we've hamstrung ourselves with the current platform. We should abandon the anti-gay position, court the black vote without abandoning our economic principals, streamline the process for citizenship for current illegal aliens, and defend our personal freedoms to include everyone. Sixty percent of Americans consider themselves conservative but we allow a wedge to divide us over issues that are not covered in the Constitution.

Separation of Church and State should be taken advantage of. Rather than legislate morality, Christians should practice what they preach and love their neighbors (as they love themselves) who, as Jesus defined the term, is EVERYBODY. THAT is how we are to be the salt of the earth, not by proxy through government. In the end, God will be our judge, and theirs. If we haven't loved our neighbors, our fate will be no different. I believe by doing this we keep our Constitution intact AND impact morality more efficiently. If not, the Libertarians will take the place of Republicans and take 2 or 3 election cycles to get traction and by then it will be too late.

cattails
09-22-2012, 09:49 AM
The democrats now hold a voting block that is going to be very hard to defeat. They have the true liberals, the black vote, the hispanic vote, the illegal vote, the gay vote, the majority of the union vote, the gay vote. It does not leave much room for a republican to gain enough votes to overtake that %.

It may be that we have to have a depression or a major war or catastrophe to win again, and then it may be so bad that a republican can't turn things around in 4 years and we lose again.

I have about lost hope when I see polls in Fl, Ohio, Mich saying that Obama has helped the economy in those states. unemployment in thos states are above the national average, gas is high, housing prices are still depressed, and yet they think Obama has helped. In Fl with all those seniors, Obama is going to hurt them with medicare and yet he is leading in Fl. Interest rates are so low that seniors cannot make anything on their investments or CD's and yet Obama is leading in Fl. States that were in financial trouble from democrats and have had their problems turned around by republican governors are leading for Obama. Democrats have ruined the economy in Cal and yet they keep voting for more democrats.

I have lost hope for this country.

Welcome to my world of thinking.

Catfan73
09-22-2012, 09:51 AM
I think whenever the GOP comes up with viable candidates people would rather vote for a Republican. McCain and Romney have been rather sub-par imo.

Darrell KSR
09-22-2012, 11:07 AM
Will this year, IMHO.

I think there's a lot of misleading information out there.

CitizenBBN
09-22-2012, 06:11 PM
Most Americans about 2/3rds, are conservative in areas of economics and foreign policy, but are liberal in social areas. They want the government out of their bedrooms and wallets.

So the majority of Americans have no political home. They have to choose whether they care more about economic policy than social policy. So they hold their noses at the GOP stance on social issues like gay marriage and vote GOP b/c of their general support of limiting government otherwise, or they hold their noses at the Democratic liberal economic policies b/c they don't want the government legislating social behavior.

In truth the GOP has done very little to implement any of their social platform planks. Reagan talked about school prayer but was never foolish enough to use up his political chips to try to get it done. The Democrats otoh have been very successful at implementing their economic agenda.

So I tend to vote with the GOP b/c I priorities economic and foreign policy issues but also b/c the GOP has been less likely to implement social policies with which I disagree.

Most Americans are Libertarian. The problem is neither party wants to swing to that position for fear of losing their hardcore supporters. If the GOP liberalizes on social issues they'll alienate social conservatives, and if the Democrats start embracing the free market as a solution to some problems their core will likewise blow their minds.

kencat
09-22-2012, 08:56 PM
I do believe this is our last chance but we've hamstrung ourselves with the current platform. We should abandon the anti-gay position, court the black vote without abandoning our economic principals, streamline the process for citizenship for current illegal aliens, and defend our personal freedoms to include everyone. Sixty percent of Americans consider themselves conservative but we allow a wedge to divide us over issues that are not covered in the Constitution.

Separation of Church and State should be taken advantage of. Rather than legislate morality, Christians should practice what they preach and love their neighbors (as they love themselves) who, as Jesus defined the term, is EVERYBODY. THAT is how we are to be the salt of the earth, not by proxy through government. In the end, God will be our judge, and theirs. If we haven't loved our neighbors, our fate will be no different. I believe by doing this we keep our Constitution intact AND impact morality more efficiently. If not, the Libertarians will take the place of Republicans and take 2 or 3 election cycles to get traction and by then it will be too late.

Just because I don't believe in same sex marriage, doesn't mean I'm anti-gay. And I do agree we should defend our personal freedoms to include everyone, including the unborn.

If we (conservatives) have to pander and abandon core values to get elected, we might as well be liberal democrats, or worse, Bloomberg's....

badrose
09-22-2012, 11:32 PM
Just because I don't believe in same sex marriage, doesn't mean I'm anti-gay. And I do agree we should defend our personal freedoms to include everyone, including the unborn.

If we (conservatives) have to pander and abandon core values to get elected, we might as well be liberal democrats, or worse, Bloomberg's....

I don't believe in it either, but I don't think it's constitutional to disallow it. Besides, it's not going to change a thing except give the other party votes they wouldn't have otherwise. As for abortion, I think it should be restricted heavily. I'm as socially conservative as you are but these are matters of the heart and legislation is not going to stop them or persuade them but it will galvanize them. I'm not pandering, just suggesting a different approach that not only might be more successful but also keep this country afloat.